Past Mitch Clark #2 (2006-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be more charitable towards Mitch if in his last two years with the club he hadn't spent it putting in the minimum level of effort at the cost of $450,000 a season, I reckon.

Can someone remind me, what deal did the Brisbane Bears offer Alastair Lynch to leave Fitzroy at the end of the 1993 season?
We shouldn't be too upset when professional sports people choose to accept the most advantageous financial terms available in the marketplace. Mitch was merely following an already well established pattern. People have a right to be disappointed, but that's just how our game works.

Too right, I always keep in mind the fact that these blokes do this for a living. If you're at a job, at a nice cosy firm but then Firm X comes in and offers you a 300k pay rise, what do you do? Most normal working class people would take the money without batting an eyelid. Turning down an offer as big as that for loyalty, while definitely a noble thing to do for a footy club and its supporters, it'd definitely play on your mind for years to come, especially life after footy when the money dries up a bit. Mitch's problem was really just the sneakiness of it all, not the fact that he took the dollars.

All the best to him, quality player and really hope he does recover.

Too right, I always keep in mind the fact that these blokes do this for a living. If you're at a job, at a nice cosy firm but then Firm X comes in and offers you a 300k pay rise, what do you do? Most normal working class people would take the money without batting an eyelid. Turning down an offer as big as that for loyalty, while definitely a noble thing to do for a footy club and its supporters, it'd definitely play on your mind for years to come, especially life after footy when the money dries up a bit. Mitch's problem was really just the sneakiness of it all, not the fact that he took the dollars.

All the best to him, quality player and really hope he does recover.

Thats the big one isn't it. Personally if its just for the money i've got no problems with guys signing elsewhere, I'd do it. The way it was done is what left the bitter taste. Whatever you think of what happened you should never wish real ill on anyone, especially someone battling with mental health. Hopefully he can recover over time but experience tells me its something that you struggle with to varying degrees throughout your life. Here's hoping his struggle diminishes to a manageable level.

Probably one of the bigger unfulfilled talents I have seen. Could have been awesome, but I don't think he had the ability to construct a personal environment that facilitated elite standards. I was dirty when he left but Melbourne ended up being the ones to lose the most.

Probably one of the bigger unfulfilled talents I have seen. Could have been awesome, but I don't think he had the ability to construct a personal environment that facilitated elite standards. I was dirty when he left but Melbourne ended up being the ones to lose the most.

Another on the list of Lions players who have gone on to not much at their new clubs (for different reasons of course). Tends to be a trend that the 5 are following early days (for the most part)

Clark to leave Cats

"Geelong has decided to part ways with Mitch Clark.

The 29-year-old key forward, who joined the Cats in October 2014, played nine AFL games for the Cats over two seasons.

He previously played 82 games for the Brisbane Lions and 15 for Melbourne."

Best wishes Mitch.

unfortunately i think Mitch's time is up. probably too many mental health and body issues with Mitch for a 4th club to take a chance on him.

had a lot of natural ability and had one terrific near AA level season for us as a ruck/fwd, really hope that Mitch finds happiness in his life going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back