News Mitch Clark has retired from AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Just popped in to see how the Demons faithful were reacting to the news. Really impressed by how you guys are sticking by your club and for the most part sticking together as supporters. I've said for a while that I can't wait to see the Tigers back at the top of the AFL ladder because of how much their supporters deserve it, and I'm starting to feel the same way about Melbourne supporters too. A strong Melbourne will be good for the AFL.

I couldn't help but notice, and can't leave without correcting, some stuff I read in here though.
Depression=chemical balance, not circumstantial perspective.
Clinical depression, a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes you to stop finding joy in life, no matter how good or bad your situation is. Read up on it.
These claims ('depression is caused by a chemical imbalance') are simply not true and I urge anybody out there interested in these matters to research this for themselves. While depression is clearly a very real problem within our society, we do ourselves and those who suffer from it no favours by propagating the myth that there is a chemical imbalance of the brain involved. Science simply does not support that theory, and expert opinion hasn't claimed otherwise for more than a decade.

Good luck to Mitch Clark, good luck to all sufferers out there, and good luck to Melbourne for the rest of 2014.

Sounds like a load of s**t to be honest with you. Not saying you are full of s**t, but it certainly sounds unrealistic especially when he could've just quit like Jurrah and that young WA player recently (name escapes me).
Garlett at Hawthorn?

Very sad news, I wish mitch the very best to get better from his illness.

Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me..
1) does this mean a spot will open up on the rookie list? and will it be max king?
2) does max king have much chance of playing many games this year?

just need some supercoach help, thanks guys

Very sad news, I wish mitch the very best to get better from his illness.

Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me..
1) does this mean a spot will open up on the rookie list? and will it be max king?
2) does max king have much chance of playing many games this year?

just need some supercoach help, thanks guys
I'd think Jetta would be elevated after what Roos has recently said about the guys in the VFL deserving to get a game. Basically he said Only Jetta has been consistently good.

As I said, it is hard for someone without depression to understand this. I have seen and experienced enough in my life to think that if I had earned some serious coin (relative to the general population), but my football career was cut short by injury, then c'est la vie - I am financially set for life, can provide for my family, and probably have a career set up for the future as well by virtue of being an AFL footballer.

And again, I have seen and know people whose lives are really f'ed up beyond belief - kids living at home and openly dealing drugs, beating up on the mother. That is stuff to get down on - something which doesn't have any sort of positive ending in sight. I can only wonder how much more screwed up Mitch would be if he had to deal with something like this, as opposed to something like not being able to play footy anymore.
You aren't getting it. The depression is not caused by his career troubles - as you said, that's not really anything for a man to get too upset about provided he can still look after his family. Clinical depression is a biological issue, a chemical imbalance, not caused by circumstances. Circumstances may exacerbate it though.

Hope he gets better...but I still don't understand how people getting paid $700+k a year get depressed. I've been to countries where people there are eating scraps of food off the ground like a dog, wife has gone, kids are in organised crime, daughter has turned to prostitution - THAT is something to get depressed about.

Maybe you should do some research on depression because this ignorance doesn't help anyone.

Sounds like a load of s**t to be honest with you. Not saying you are full of s**t, but it certainly sounds unrealistic especially when he could've just quit like Jurrah and that young WA player recently (name escapes me).

EDIT - I want to clarify something - What you said could very well be true, I don't know mitch, nor do I have any connection with what you've stated. But why the f around if he could've just quit?

Exactly, and even if it is true - 'clinically depressed young man acts in erratic way' is hardly a shock headline.

Cheers for the belief and morale boosting big fella. Brief though it may have been, it was greatly appreciated. No better feeling than the last night of trade week a few years back when we pulled off one of the biggest moves from nowhere.

So disappointing. The sky was the limit for him but for a freak injury. All the best to him in his future endeavours and thanks for the effort.

I could not disagree with you more. Some of the happiest people in the world are also the poorest. One would have to assume you don't have anyone close to you that has had severe depression, or committed suicide due to depression.

If you disagree that mental health can be related to personal circumstances, that's fine, but to callously suggest that someone who does believe this "doesn't have anyone close to them with severe depression or has committed suicide", is absolutely ridiculous.

And the best argument you can put forth is "Some of the happiest people in the world are also the poorest"?

Every single time I think that the quality of your posting could not possibly get worse... you surprise me.

Kudos to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These claims ('depression is caused by a chemical imbalance') are simply not true and I urge anybody out there interested in these matters to research this for themselves. While depression is clearly a very real problem within our society, we do ourselves and those who suffer from it no favours by propagating the myth that there is a chemical imbalance of the brain involved. Science simply does not support that theory, and expert opinion hasn't claimed otherwise for more than a decade.

Good luck to Mitch Clark, good luck to all sufferers out there, and good luck to Melbourne for the rest of 2014.
The phrase 'chemical imbalance' might be somewhat reductive and hence inaccurate, but there is certainly a physiological component to depression.

I'm not sure this conversation (and the argument it's created) is necessary to this thread though...

Just popped in to see how the Demons faithful were reacting to the news. Really impressed by how you guys are sticking by your club and for the most part sticking together as supporters. I've said for a while that I can't wait to see the Tigers back at the top of the AFL ladder because of how much their supporters deserve it, and I'm starting to feel the same way about Melbourne supporters too. A strong Melbourne will be good for the AFL.

I couldn't help but notice, and can't leave without correcting, some stuff I read in here though.

I have a history of it, as does my family. There is some truth to it, certainly more valid than saying that only those who are struggling circumstance wise can have the illness.

Sucks to hear that, hope he gets better and gets on the right path - unfortunately though for all the potential he had with us, it will go down as a bust.

I apologise for digressing, but I can't help but refute what you've just said.

You are correct in your statement that the scientific majority no longer believe that 'depression is caused by a chemical imbalance', (and they have not for many decades). Although you are mistaken in your assertion that it is 'myth that there is a chemical imbalance of the brain involved' in people with depressive disorders. There is overwhelming evidence that irregularities in various monoamine transmitter systems are associated with depression. Note I have said association, this does not imply causation, as scientists once believed (by observation that medication which altered the functioning of these systems relieved depressive symptoms). The exact role of neurotransmitter systems in depression is not yet well understood, but to state as fact, that there is no neurobiological dimension to depressive disorders is simply incorrect, and helps propagate the myth that people with depression possess some series of personal faults, rather than a legitimate mental illness (Not suggesting that this was your intention).

I apologise for digressing, but I can't help but refute what you've just said.

You are correct in your statement that the scientific majority no longer believe that 'depression is caused by a chemical imbalance', (and they have not for many decades). Although you are mistaken in your assertion that it is 'myth that there is a chemical imbalance of the brain involved' in people with depressive disorders. There is overwhelming evidence that irregularities in various monoamine transmitter systems are associated with depression. Note I have said association, this does not imply causation, as scientists once believed (by observation that medication which altered the functioning of these systems relieved depressive symptoms). The exact role of neurotransmitter systems in depression is not yet well understood, but to state as fact, that there is no neurobiological dimension to depressive disorders is simply incorrect, and helps propagate the myth that people with depression possess some series of personal faults, rather than a legitimate mental illness (Not suggesting that this was your intention).
I don't think Smiling Buddha was suggesting that there isn't any 'neurobiological dimension' to depression, but rather that 'chemical imbalance of the brain' isn't an accurate descriptor of the actual physiological condition. Although I could be wrong.

My Best memory of Clark

509646-120611mitch-clark.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back