CLARK%20Mitch.png

Traded from Brisbane for ND pick 12 in 2011

Number: 11
Height: 200cm
Weight: 99kg
DOB: 19-10-1987
Debut: 2006 - Rd 1

Neeld says:
In signing Mitch, there is a ripple effect ... in terms of the aid he can give Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah. So it's a huge coup for the club.

Club Profile

Demonwiki

Welcome to the Dees Mitch :)

125997-mitch-clark.jpg

MITCH Clark's AFL future has been one of the great unknowns throughout 2011. And even when it was seemingly confirmed, there was still another late twist to come.Over the past three years Clark has become one of the Lions most important players for his contribution as a ruck/forward.

His growing stature in the game meant that his next contract was going to be a big one and he had more choice than ever over his own destiny. But there were doubts about how long he would stay in Brisbane as he delayed contract talks with the club. One of the earliest hints he was set to move came in late July when the club eagerly announced the re-signings of recent first-round picks from interstate in Daniel Rich, Matthew Leuenberger and Jared Polec. There was one name missing from that list.

Come the end of the season, Clark announced his intention to leave the Lions and return home to Western Australia. Clark, along with Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward and Phil Davis, had been linked to Greater Western Sydney as one of their uncontracted signings. But while the other four were lured away from their home states, Clark just wanted to go home. Or so we thought.

Sixteen days before he officially became a Demon, Clark gave a revealing interview to a Perth newspaper speaking excitedly about his intention to join Fremantle. He spoke about missing his parents, who had returned home after briefly living in Brisbane, his terminally ill grandmother and his two cousins who were set for a release from jail. Clark had even met with new Fremantle coach Ross Lyon and had toured the club's facilities. His manager Colin Young had focused his energies on getting his client to Fremantle and the club was keen. But not so keen that they made life easy for the Lions, who were reluctant to accept picks 16 and 20 as compensation.

West Coast was said to show some mild interest in Clark but with its emerging list and large stockpile of rucks and forwards, there was no pressing need for him and nothing eventuated. A stalemate resulted and Melbourne entered the fray in what seemed to be at best an optimistic interest in Clark. But the Demons were serious, offering the Lions pick 12 and offering Clark a far more financially attractive and secure contract than anything Fremantle could muster. He thought about it but still wanted to stay with Fremantle, which he told the club. So pleased was Fremantle that it released a statement on Friday announcing Clark's commitment to the club.

But a bombshell hit late on Saturday night when it emerged that Clark had agreed to sign with Melbourne after it presented an offer too good to refuse. The family that had drawn Clark back to Western Australia encouraged him to accept the Demons' offer and he did so in a move that drew some criticism. One of those critics was former Lions teammate Tom Rockliff, who on Sunday morning tweeted a not so subtle slap to Clark, pondering "I guess money can cure anything."

Quizzed about Rockliff's sledge the following day, Clark laughed it off, praising his former club for its role in his life.

"That's great, I gave him a text message. It's all good fun and good on Rocky," Clark said.

"I'm still very good mates with guys like that at the footy club and I've got quite a good relationship with the Brisbane footy club, Vossy (coach Michael Voss) and the people there. I'm quite happy where I'm at."

Adding to the surprise that Clark changed his mind so late in proceedings was the fact that he had been won over by Melbourne, a club that not so long ago was derided for its lack of professionalism and inability to compete with bigger clubs both on and off the field. There have been some significant changes at the Demons in recent months and new coach Mark Neeld, new footy chief Neil Craig and new fitness director David Misson have brought in some fresh ideas to the club.

But a large chunk of the credit must go to those who have been with the Demons throughout the bad times, namely list manager Tim Harrington and CEO Cameron Schwab, who both played big roles in getting Clark in the red and blue. The Demons approached its dealings with a professionalism, aggression and a strategy that they had previously been accused of lacking.

Sitting alongside his new recruit on Monday, Neeld said the club was determined to get what it wanted.

"We did what every Melbourne supporter would have wanted us to do - get on the phone, get on a plane, get in front of him, present our thoughts and present where we thought he could be a benefit to the club," Neeld said.

"In signing Mitch there is a ripple effect if you like in terms of what he can aid, and can give guys like Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah with their match-ups and the role they need to play. That was a huge coup for the club."

In signing such a big deal and filling a pressing need as a key forward, Clark arrives effectively as Melbourne's franchise player, a title that doesn't seem to unsettle him.

"There is definite pressure there but I welcome it and I look forward to the challenge at the footy club and I know that will be working hard on the track and giving myself the best opportunity to perform," he said.

"That will take care of itself."

Whether or not it does take care of itself is yet to be seen but that statement alone shows something that the Demons desperately need more than youth, athleticism or a tall forward. That is confidence.

Article and media conference linked

Re: Mitch Clark

From the Lions' website:
Introduction
Mitch Clark started his career with the Lions as a forward, before emerging in 2009 as a valuable ruckman. The versatile big man's supreme athleticism enables him to play in a variety of roles from attack to defence, and also occasionally in the midfield.

Background
• Clark – a key position prospect from East Fremantle in Western Australia – turned down an AIS volleyball scholarship to focus on his AFL career.
• He was the joint winner of the Kevin Sheehan Medal for the best player at the 2003 U16 National Championships with Richmond star Brett Deledio and was widely touted in some early draft predictions as a likely top three candidate.
• After overcoming a bout of meningococcal disease during his final year as a junior, Clark lasted until selection No.9 in the 2005 National Draft and the Lions didn’t hesitate in taking the young West Australian.

• Clark worked hard during his first pre-season and was rewarded with a spot in the team’s opening NAB Cup match against Essendon. The tall forward provided a great target in the absence of regular attacking options Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw and kicked three goals.
• His pre-season form warranted selection in the Lions’ senior opener against Geelong at Kardinia Park where he realised most young draftees’ dream by kicking a goal with his first kick in AFL football.
• He showed great promise in the Club’s opening fixtures both as a tall forward option and also as a pinch-hitting back-up ruckman for Jamie Charman when necessary.
• The enhanced pace and physicality of playing at the highest level eventually took its toll on Clark’s body when a bad case of osteitis pubis flared up after only six games and ultimately ended his debut season.

• After missing much of the 2007 pre-season with a troublesome knee injury, Clark exploded back onto the football scene with a number of dominant displays for the Suncoast Lions.
• He was soon recalled to the senior team in Round 9 against Collingwood where he took seven marks and kicked a career-high five goals in the Lions’ 33-point loss.
• His efforts against the Pies made the football fraternity sit up and notice his potential and he was subsequently honoured with an AFL Rising Star Nomination.
• Unfortunately injury struck again only a few weeks later which kept Clark out of the senior side until Round 21.
• The big West Australian had been limited in his opportunities to display his potential due to injury. He managed only four matches in his second season to take his career tally to 10 matches in two years.

• After almost completing a full pre-season for the first time, Clark’s horrid run with injury continued when he injured his quad during a routine pre-season training exercise.
• He returned to the senior side in Round 7 against reigning premier Geelong and proved the team’s best forward target with three goals in the Lions’ narrow loss.
• He was soon moved into the middle to assist Jamie Charman with the ruck duties. Clark had a career-best 14 hitouts against Carlton at Telstra Dome in Round 8 and twice collected a career-best 16 disposals – in Rounds 9 and 11 against St Kilda and Fremantle respectively.
• His versatility was tested again later in the season when Leigh Matthews moved him down back to fill a void in defence. Clark had now developed into a versatile and athletic weapon that could be used at both ends of the ground.
• He played 12 consecutive matches in the seniors before suffering another quad injury in the Round 18 clash against North Melbourne which kept him out of the Club’s final four matches of the season.

• With a full pre-season under his belt and a new Senior Coach at the helm, Mitch Clark's fortunes changed in 2009.
• He was forced to shoulder the team's ruck load after established Lions ruckmen Jamie Charman and Matthew Leuenberger succumbed to season-ending injuries in the opening month of the season.
• Clark relished his additional responsibility and went on to play all 24 senior matches in 2009 and almost redefined the role of the modern-day ruckman along the way.
• His height, endurance and athleticism meant that he could compete against both the agile ruckmen and the so-called 'dinosaurs' of the AFL.
• He finished fourth in the competition in total hitouts with a career-best 37 taps against Fremantle in Round 16 at Subiaco.
• He also proved to be a valuable ball-winner, averaging 16.3 disposals including a career-high 28 against Essendon in Round 19.
• Clark became widely recognised as one of the most damaging ruckmen in the competition and was selected in the AFL All-Australian initial 40-man sqaud. He was surprisingly overlooked in the final All-Australian team behind Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands.
• His value to the team in 2009 was recognised at the Club Champion dinner when he finished third behind Lions stars Jonathan Brown and Simon Black in the Merrett-Murray Medal.
• He also received the Shaun Hart Most Courageous Player award for his efforts in backing up week after week in one of the game's most difficult positions.
• 2009 proved a breakthrough year for Clark who more than doubled his career games tally and delivered on his obvious potential as a teenager.

• With fellow ruckman Jamie Charman out for the season, Clark spent 2010 sharing ruck duties with young gun Matthew Leuenberger and achieving 215 hitouts.
• He showed his versatility by also playing in both deep forward and centre-half forward, kicking 9 goals for the season.
• Clark played 19 of 22 games in 2010, with a groin injury and a suspension from round 3 keeping him on the sidelines for 3 games throughout the season.
• Clark found his form in his season-best performance against Adelaide. He responded to the extra game time he was given with five goals in the Lions’ seven-point loss – an equal career-best for the young star.
• Clark played his 50th career AFL game against the Melbourne Demons in round 5.

• After Captain Jonathan Brown suffered facial fractures in Round 1, Clark was forced to shoulder much of the responsibility up forward for the Lions.
• He collected an equal career-high 28 disposals against Melbourne at the MCG in Round 3 and backed that performance up with four goals against the Saints on Easter Thursday at the Gabba.
• He missed three matches between Rounds 14-16 with an ankle injury before his season was ended prematurely after knee surgery in Round 22.
• He kicked a goal in all but one of his 17 senior matches in 2011 and led the Club’s goal-kicking for the first time with 27.
• At the completion of the season, Clark advised the Lions that he wanted to head back home to Western Australia to continue his AFL career.

Was initially concerned about his key forward prospects. thinking he played his best season as the dominant ruck. Which i still do.

He is that extra large type at 200cm and 105kgs to back it up, has some bravado about himself to which is nice, kick at just over 1.5 a game last season which is nice, with many a score assist *second behind Brown per game.

Was recruited as a forward so lets see, getting real happy about this recruit tbh

Havent heard - website and twitter account haven't mentioned... Maybe they'll wait until tomorrow seeing as all focus is on last minute trades today?

That's what I would have thought as well, although Barrett said he was fronting the media today.

Mitch keen to make mark

BOOM recruit Mitch Clark says he is looking forward to a new beginning with Melbourne.

Clark, who fronted a media conference at AAMI Park on Monday, expressed a sense of relief when he made the decision.

The former Brisbane Lion said it had been a tough week after he initially wanted to return to Fremantle, given he hails from Western Australia.

“To leave Brisbane, I’m obviously chasing a fresh start,” he said.

“I probably have my heart set on going back to Fremantle.

“But I thought long and hard about it and I’m so happy that we got a deal done now and I’m here at the Melbourne footy club and I’m really excited by the opportunity.

“Hopefully I can add a bit to the club and it’s a bit of a fresh start here for everyone.”

By Matt Burgan 12:26 PM Mon 17 Oct, 2011
newdeem246b.jpg

ClarkJumperM%20-%20Copy%20(2).jpg

Traded from Brisbane for ND pick 12 in 2011

Height: 200cm
Weight: 99kg
DOB: 19-10-1987
Debut: 2006 - Rd 1

Neeld says:
In signing Mitch, there is a ripple effect ... in terms of the aid he can give Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah. So it's a huge coup for the club.

Club Profile

Demonwiki

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season Preview
Part I

Al1fW-eCAAAwhhV.jpg

Mitch Clark kicking 1 of his 2 goals during the 2012 Intra club match (well almost match...)

Melbourne Football Clubs prized recruit recently commented that the pre season under new head coach Mark Neeld has been "bloody tough".

His first few weeks at the club were doing what the rest of the boys were; running. However due to minor knee surgery, which cut his 2011 season short, he spent it in the rehab group. Even then it was noted that his athletic ability was impressive and his knee seemingly causing no trouble.

Since joining the main training group he has led by example, so much so he has earnt a place in the new look leadership group. He is the only forward officially in the group.

Today at the the Melbourne Intra club (sort of) match he stood out against a variety of opponents including 2010 AA James Frawley. The match was 8 terms of 7 minutes with coaching done during the breaks.

While information is somewhat scarce it has been reported that he took several strong marks and kicked 2.2 up forward. Brad Green is reported to have said Clark hogged the ball and should of passed to him clear in the goal square despite Mitch putting the goal straight threw the middle from 15 meters out. :p

Mitch's has already been involved in a media scandal since arriving at the Dee's. His now old back tattoo received some recent attention which cause the Herald Sun to question his intelligence. While it has often been speculated the tattoo was his family name Clark in ye ol' English, a language boffin has suggested that his tattoo is actually 'Elark'.

This immediately caused a salary cap scandal as ELARK is a direct translation of きんぎょ, a Japanese whaling firm and the media believe Mitch has received a generous 3rd party payments to play for a Victorian club. Others have speculated that he is touch dim for not having a duty of care to research his tattoo's. Personally I think C and E look much the same and think it was just another non story.

Good luck Clarky, I can say with confidence all Melbourne supporters are thrilled to have a big capable player up forward.

Most of this is true. Some of it is not.

Demon Clark goes forward - The Age.
SINCE recruiting Mitch Clark during his first few weeks on the job, Melbourne coach Mark Neeld has insisted the former Brisbane Lions ruckman would play purely as a forward.

Mostly a review of the intra club.

I was happily suprised at Mitch's emotion at the MCG presser. Firstly, he doesn't strike me as an emotional person and I didn't think he'd embrace Melbourne - the city and the club the way he has. Great to see though.

MFC Website: Time to create 'havoc': Clark

"I like to play in a position for 90 per cent of the game," said Clark in a pre-season interview with The Melbourne Football Club's Season Guide. "I'm probably a bit old-fashioned in that way where I would prefer to be settled in one position and go head to head with my opponent."

"I feel like we have a good mix in the forward line, a lot of different types of players who can play a variety of roles," said Clark. "Hopefully we can create a good mix and create a bit of havoc."

If by "create havoc" he means unleash the fury then I'm all for this. :thumbsu:

Rd 1: Mitch meets old friends.

Kicks 9
Handballs 1
Marks 4
Tackles 1
Hitouts 0
FF/FA 1/1
Score 2.1

Not much to say about Mitch Clark’s first game in the red and blue. Our entire performance was average at best and rubbish at worst. The delivery was not favourable for any of our forwards so I can’t blame him for anything. 2 goals and 10 touches was okay but not great. However you could argue that the team will need to learn to play with an actual FF and play a few games with Mitch so they can use him effectively.

It has been said Mitch’s strength is on the lead. I wouldn’t know because when we did kick it to him we bombed it long onto his head and rarely 1 on 1.

Rd 2: Mitch is our best small crumbing forward ever!

Goals: 5
Set shots: 0
Marks: Not many

Clark was one of just one player that did anything in this terrible 100+ point defeat to the Eagles. Again limited forward 50 entries made it hard for him but Mitch showed great creativity and ability when he managed to CRUMB all day and end up with 5 non traditional full forward goals.

It was reassuring to know we have someone back in the forward line that might just be able to kick more than 18 goals in a season.

He leads when he can and is definitely our number 1 target in the forward line (usually the only player in the forward 50) but I still dislike the way he constantly tries to resemble Jesus on the cross every time anyone comes near him in a marking contest. Throwing his arm back like that will one day see him slap someone in the face and miss games.

But thats just a small thing I hope to see less of but not at the cost of 5 goals every week. Do that and you can play however you please

I'd really rather not.

How did we win games by 90 points last year?

Update on Mitch...

MFC: Small steps

MELBOURNE forward Mitch Clark is confident of playing in the opening round of 2013 as he begins his rehab program to recover from the 'lisfranc' injury that ruled him out for the season.

Clark had surgery on June 28, four days after suffering the foot injury against Greater Western Sydney in round 13.

He joined the club's rehab group last week and is doing upper body weights and circuit work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back