Roast Mitch Duncan, time to step up

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell he's playing a completely different role though. I went along to the Richmond v Western Bulldogs game in Round 2 and kept a bit of an eye on him. Seemed to spend most of the time on the wing and was free to just float around picking up possessions with little to no attention from the opposition (I guess they were more concerned with Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Ellis & Grigg) and I don't remember many of them being 'damaging'. Seemed to stick to his limitations and go short or sideways. When asked to find targets inside 50 was where he struggled more.

However, it does seem he could be useful right now if employed in his tagging role that he used to hold down here.
This reminds me a lot of Cameron Ling in 2006 - whereas other sides could tolerate him racking up possessions as a receiver, because he wasn't quite able to do what Ablett and co could with them. When he changed to a tagger who won plenty of football on the inside and kicked goals, he suddenly because the best tagger of the modern era alongside Crowley.

Duncan against Suns:

24 Disposals (11 Contested), 83% efficiency (Second best DE in team behind Walker), 4 Inside 50's, 6 Rebound 50's.
Can work on his Tackling (1) & 1%'s (1).

But fair to say pretty much back to his naturally suited role.
Most of us knew he would return to this form when moved back into his regular style.
Now just needs to stay there & should get 20-30 touches & 1-2 goals a game in a typical Mitch Duncan performance :)

Here is an idea.
Play Duncan as that outside running goal kicking mid.
The spot he was born to play.
Play smedts as a HFF who can lock the ball in the forward line with his pace and pressure and use his natural goal kicking ability.
Play walker at CHF and stop talking about trying to fit him in down back.
(Only supporters mentioning this)
It's very rare u can change a players natural position.
If you want to develop their game make them do it while still playing their natural positions.
Duncan we like your run but give us more two way running and accountability as you are doing it.
Don't make him tag. It's useless.
Evidence of this was Thurlow underdone, comes into the backline and looked our most composed well rounded defender for the day.
First game back
That's his go.
Smedts spends a whole pre season back there and busts his gut and it just doesn't work.
Footy is pretty simple when you don't try twist it too much.
Amazing what happens when you play blokes in the spot they were born to play. We have buggered around with either Hawkins and Walker for years in the ruck, and they almost immediately get to career-best form in the forward line.

Amazing what happens when you play blokes in the spot they were born to play. We have buggered around with either Hawkins and Walker for years in the ruck, and they almost immediately get to career-best form in the forward line.

Gee, you think it might work with Smedts as well?

(To be fair, Smedts wasn't nearly as bad in the first two rounds as a defender as I thought he'd be)

Gee, you think it might work with Smedts as well?

(To be fair, Smedts wasn't nearly as bad in the first two rounds as a defender as I thought he'd be)
Thought he looked like a fish out of water on the last line of defence in Round 1. And note I'm not saying he was at all at fault, he looked exactly how I would expect someone without much defensive experience to look when the ball is coming in thick and fast.

Here is an idea.
Play Duncan as that outside running goal kicking mid.
The spot he was born to play.
Play smedts as a HFF who can lock the ball in the forward line with his pace and pressure and use his natural goal kicking ability.
Play walker at CHF and stop talking about trying to fit him in down back.
(Only supporters mentioning this)
It's very rare u can change a players natural position.
If you want to develop their game make them do it while still playing their natural positions.
Duncan we like your run but give us more two way running and accountability as you are doing it.
Don't make him tag. It's useless.
Evidence of this was Thurlow underdone, comes into the backline and looked our most composed well rounded defender for the day.
First game back
That's his go.
Smedts spends a whole pre season back there and busts his gut and it just doesn't work.
Footy is pretty simple when you don't try twist it too much.
I like this analysis, but wasn't Smedts a HBF as a junior? I didn't mind him as a defensive forward, but unforutunately for him, I think there are better forwards ahead of him - Hakwins, Clark, Stanley, Gregson, Blease, Kersten, Walker, Motlop, Stokes, Johnson...

I like this analysis, but wasn't Smedts a HBF as a junior? I didn't mind him as a defensive forward, but unforutunately for him, I think there are better forwards ahead of him - Hakwins, Clark, Stanley, Gregson, Blease, Kersten, Walker, Motlop, Stokes, Johnson...

I'm not sure what Smedts was as a junior but I've seen every AFL game he has played and he is a HF/possible wing.
He can turn players inside out and can tackle and harass. He has the attributes to do very well in that position.
I actually think with Bews and Thurlow down back we have more of a need for a experienced small up forward with those attributes.
Kersten cant play if we are playing Walker in the team and atm Walker is ahead.
I actually think Walker provides better pressure then Kersten even though he is the taller player. Actually that is Fact

Caddy Walker Smedts
Gregson Hawkins Clark

Good balance in that set up.
Caddy and Gregson go into the midfield at times with Blease/SJ/Motlop/Selwood drifting forward.
Clark and Stanley switching in Ruck.
Blitz switching from defence to onballer if our rucks are not at least breaking even
going third man up

I'm not sure what Smedts was as a junior but I've seen every AFL game he has played and he is a HF/possible wing.
He can turn players inside out and can tackle and harass. He has the attributes to do very well in that position.
I actually think with Bews and Thurlow down back we have more of a need for a experienced small up forward with those attributes.
Kersten cant play if we are playing Walker in the team and atm Walker is ahead.
I actually think Walker provides better pressure then Kersten even though he is the taller player. Actually that is Fact

Caddy Walker Smedts
Gregson Hawkins Clark

Good balance in that set up.
Caddy and Gregson go into the midfield at times with Blease/SJ/Motlop/Selwood drifting forward.
Clark and Stanley switching in Ruck.
Blitz switching from defence to onballer if our rucks are not at least breaking even
going third man up

Agree with all of that lets hope they move Smedts forward now Thurlow performed so well in his first game back!
Also think Caddy should start in the centre bounce & prefer Lang as that HFF.
And with Walker pushing up onto the Wing at times to present a target I think that is our best forward line setup.

Surely he was good enough in the first 2 weeks to stay in considering all the other outs. On performances this year he certainly deserves to be ahead of both Murdoch and Horlin-Smith and there's absolutely no way none of those 3 will be playing.

Yes he was…I am a big supporter of Smedts…I just have a feeling they will run him in the VFL for his lack of discipline…..yes…a double punishment!

…..and I think they will be very tempted to give Gore a run as well……which might make it hard for GH-S if that transpires…

LOL…and I have a fair chance of being wrong on both counts. :eek::confused:

Agree with all of that lets hope they move Smedts forward now Thurlow performed so well in his first game back!
Also think Caddy should start in the centre bounce & prefer Lang as that HFF.
And with Walker pushing up onto the Wing at times to present a target I think that is our best forward line setup.

How did I forget Lang. Yeah he has been great. Part of that mid hf rotation.
He needs more
Midfield minutes I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lang was excellent….everyone going on about Gregson et al (deservedly i might add…) and Lang is forgotten…..

His hands will become surer as he gets more game time….and he's quick. Not easy to burn off Aaron Hall…..

We'll be seeing more of Lang this year.

This reminds me a lot of Cameron Ling in 2006 - whereas other sides could tolerate him racking up possessions as a receiver, because he wasn't quite able to do what Ablett and co could with them. When he changed to a tagger who won plenty of football on the inside and kicked goals, he suddenly because the best tagger of the modern era alongside Crowley.
Lings' intelligence was a big factor in his playing well, I believe.

He was also a better player than Crowley. Got more of it, captained the side, led as a general on the field, was glue off the field, nice bloke to boot.
And he did it all drug free. ;)

Couldn't agree more Retired Jimmy( Gosh I hope that he is not going to). What was true in 2011 ain;; now and the problem is that no-one seems to have realised it-not the Coaches and not the club.

well, it's been coming and tonight he finally stamped his authority on the game.

Be it against Collingwood, but still, we are a completely different team when we have Duncan, + Caddy up and about.
Now, if only Guthrie can up the ante, suddenly, we can start to compete against the best teams in the comp again.

well, it's been coming and tonight he finally stamped his authority on the game.

Be it against Collingwood, but still, we are a completely different team when we have Duncan, + Caddy up and about.
Now, if only Guthrie can up the ante, suddenly, we can start to compete against the best teams in the comp again.

Duncan has actually improved this season. Added to his beautiful kicking are new length and penetration in his handpasses.

Duncan has actually improved this season. Added to his beautiful kicking are new length and penetration in his handpasses.

Last two games have been beauties now that he's back playing a true creative midfield role. Should now go on to have an excellent season.

;)
Mitch is unlucky in that he's the only player from the 2008-2011 drafts to have reached 100 games. Back in 2011 when all 5 of the 2009 boys were playing and playing very well our future looked promising indeed. Now that's gone to s**t, MD's the last man standing and we only have him to look to to fulfil that promise. So perhaps expectations have been unfairly inflated, but I still have faith in him. He did finished 3rd (?) in the Carji last year!

Having said that, he doesn't seem like the kind of player who can stand up and play well when everyone else is struggling. I would like to see at least a 5 game run where he's in the position most suited to his skill set, as I think that would be the best place for the team and for him personally.

If he's being played as a run with/tagger the disposal numbers will naturally be lower than if he was purely going after the ball. I think (hope) that if left to play in his favoured position those numbers would naturally inflate. Just depends on what the match committee want to do with him, I guess. There must be method in the madness, why else would they persist with it?
I'm going to be facetious and say that regarding the bolded, he is actually lucky rather than unlucky.;)

And just finally, let's hope that they've figured out by now where Mitch's best position to play is!:thumbsu:

;)I'm going to be facetious and say that regarding the bolded, he is actually lucky rather than unlucky.;)

And just finally, let's hope that they've figured out by now where Mitch's best position to play is!:thumbsu:

Lucky generally for sure, not so lucky in that he's got no other draft mates to share the hefty load of supporter expectations!

It's all perceived pressure I guess. We could be nicer to him maybe?

Hahahahaha

:/

I knew it wouldn't be long till he was back to playing like himself again. Can't keep a good Mitch down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back