Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
I'm loath to make denouncements based on two games, but they have been two very disappointing games after what was a breakout 2014. I'm not sure why Mitch has seen so little of the footy - if he's been kept predominantly up forward, please correct me - but what I do know is that he has had very little influence this year for a player who has just crossed the 100-game mark.

The measure of a good player is to play well, but the measure of a very good player is to play well when the rest of the team does not. The knock on Mitch has always been that he's a receiver rather than a ball winner in his own right, but I thought this had started to change last year. This year, we've had two games against extremely strong midfields, and he hasn't so much as fired a shot.

I get that he's not naturally a heavy-set tank like a Guthrie or a Caddy (who have been good so far), but neither was Joel Corey and if the ball's not coming your way you cannot wait for it to do so. In a midfield with so few players in that 26 to 29 age bracket, we need players like Duncan to turn the game to our advantage and this year it has been disappointing.

Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm loath to make denouncements based on two games, but they have been two very disappointing games after what was a breakout 2014. I'm not sure why Mitch has seen so little of the footy - if he's been kept predominantly up forward, please correct me - but what I do know is that he has had very little influence this year for a player who has just crossed the 100-game mark.

The measure of a good player is to play well, but the measure of a very good player is to play well when the rest of the team does not. The knock on Mitch has always been that he's a receiver rather than a ball winner in his own right, but I thought this had started to change last year. This year, we've had two games against extremely strong midfields, and he hasn't so much as fired a shot.

I get that he's not naturally a heavy-set tank like a Guthrie or a Caddy (who have been good so far), but neither was Joel Corey and if the ball's not coming your way you cannot wait for it to do so. In a midfield with so few players in that 26 to 29 age bracket, we need players like Duncan to turn the game to our advantage and this year it has been disappointing.
get off your high horse mate, we have 22 players in that category why just single him out.

Try starting a thread on Chris Scott. Lyon, Clarkson and Longmire wouldn't stand for that crap. FWIW, Duncan wasn't that bad, its the way he's coached.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
get off your high horse mate, we have 22 players in that category why just single him out.

Because he's almost 24 years of age with 100 games of AFL experience. You can make excuses for the kids with limited experience and the veterans on their last legs for being poor. What excuse do you use for someone coming into the prime bracket in terms of age and experience for consistently going missing?

catman54

Senior List
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Because he's almost 24 years of age with 100 games of AFL experience. You can make excuses for the kids with limited experience and the veterans on their last legs for being poor. What excuse do you use for someone coming into the prime bracket in terms of age and experience for consistently going missing?
Why don't we just throw him into the guts, he has a mature body and ability so let him play his own game instead of tagging or filling holes.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Because he's got 100 games of experience, is entering his prime as a footballer, but it's players like Guthrie, Blitz and Caddy who did far more to hold back Freo and Hawthorn. I can excuse Lang, Smedts, Cockatoo &etc. being anonymous in a game, but not a player like Duncan. Thirteen and twelve touches for a player who should be pushing into the top 100 players in the league isn't good enough - he needs to become a better-rounded player.

Also, we don't have 22 players in that category - I'd argue that SJ, Bartel, Caddy, Guthrie, Blitz, Harry, Lonergan, Motlop and (given such limited delivery up forward) Clark have been good. We were expected to lose going into both of these games, players prove their stripes by going against the flow of predictions.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Try starting a thread on Chris Scott. Lyon, Clarkson and Longmire wouldn't stand for that crap. FWIW, Duncan wasn't that bad, its the way he's coached.
Because nobody's done that on this board already...

Seriously, Chris Scott cannot play the game for Mitch Duncan. He can pick him or drop him, give him advice or direction or give him a bake. At the end of the day, Mitch Duncan is responsible for Mitch Duncan.

Because he's got 100 games of experience, is entering his prime as a footballer, but it's players like Guthrie, Blitz and Caddy who did far more to hold back Freo and Hawthorn. I can excuse Lang, Smedts, Cockatoo &etc. being anonymous in a game, but not a player like Duncan. Thirteen and twelve touches for a player who should be pushing into the top 100 players in the league isn't good enough - he needs to become a better-rounded player.
Lol. Play for the Hawks, where the simplest of players are made to look good. You're only as good as the plan and coach you're surrounded with... Most of Freo's players are hogwash... they are well coached.

Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Because nobody's done that on this board already...

Seriously, Chris Scott cannot play the game for Mitch Duncan. He can pick him or drop him, give him advice or direction or give him a bake. At the end of the day, Mitch Duncan is responsible for Mitch Duncan.
Chris Scott can play him out of position, which he is doing

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Lol. Play for the Hawks, where the simplest of players are made to look good. You're only as good as the plan and coach you're surrounded with... Most of Freo's players are hogwash... they are well coached.
Surely there's another two Chris Scott threads you can lay into on this board without creating a third?

STP18

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
He's been disappointing but playing him outside on players with elite speed who are just running him up and down the wing all day is such a waste of a player he who is arguably the best kick on the team. We need him delivering the ball inside F50, not playing chasey with elite sprinters.

Surely there's another two Chris Scott threads you can lay into on this board without creating a third?
There was one... started by myself. It got deleted by our precious, ignorant and soft mods.

Problem with some people on this board is that when we have a s**t game they can't help but picking on someone and this time it just happens to be Duncan.
How about Simpson.

Blake was better and that's an understatement.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Problem with some people on this board is that when we have a s**t game they can't help but picking on someone and this time it just happens to be Duncan.

He was pathetic today. No heart. 12 possessions for a midfielder is a disgrace. He wasn't on his Pat Malone but even so why shouldn't he wear some heat? The guy is paid a s**t load of money to at least show a bit of ticker.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
yes but so is George Horlin-Smith, Jordan Murdoch, Billie Smedts so why just pick on Duncan?
They're three seasons behind Duncan in terms of experience.

Pointing out that someone is performing below expectations isn't the same as a dummy-spit reaction to a lost game. I didn't expect us to win going into either game so far this year, overall I'm one of the few not disappointed in the club as a whole, but Duncan's performance has left a bit to be desired. I'm not exactly being unfair in asking for more than a dozen touches per game from a player who averages over 20 when the side goes well.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
How about Simpson.

Blake was better and that's an understatement.
I don't have the same expectations of Simpson than I do of Duncan. Injury-prone thirty-game ruckmen get a lot more latitude than a player who polled 12 Brownlow votes last year and went top-three in the Best and Fairest.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Think this is very tough on him.
Both Round 1 & Round 2 he was asked to mostly run with Brad Hill then Stephen Hill...

Ball usage at 75% efficiency today which is fine compared to most others.
Gave away 3 frees which is easily fixed of course.

But coaches should be letting him play his natural outside game.
Stephen Hill finished with like 30 touches & a goal or two anyway so let Duncan loose & see what damage he can do for us.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
He was pathetic today. No heart. 12 possessions for a midfielder is a disgrace. He wasn't on his Pat Malone so why shouldn't he wear some heat? The guy is paid a s**t load of money to at least show a bit of ticker.

the man should be entering the stage where his one of the best midfielders in the league, like fyfe hannebery

12 possessions is varcoe like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back