Roast Mitch Duncan, time to step up

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott's word on him last night:

"Mitch is one of the ones we've got high hopes for, but he's one of a group. I take responsibility for maybe some of his form early in the season. We didn't play him in his best position I don't think, but we're learning as well."

Credit to Scott for saying that. We're very quick to criticise him for mistakes (and I'm one of them), it's only fair to praise him for correcting that by putting Duncan in the middle.

Strap in lads (and ladies), we are witnessing the very start of a players beginning to elitedom.
Just like Abletts 2007, 2015 will be Mitch Duncans time to stamp himself as one of the best players in the game.
The way Duncan and Selwood undrstand each other around the stoppages/center bounces is fantastic, they seem to read each others games very well and just know where to run to receive from the other.

Selwood, Duncan, Caddy, Blicavs and Stanley in the center is starting to look so much more potent, with so much upside as well with three of them just coming into that 50-60 game region. Exciting to say the least. Just need a Danger in that mix and what has looked like a huge weakness on paper is starting to shape up with good potential.

Strap in lads (and ladies), we are witnessing the very start of a players beginning to elitedom.
Just like Abletts 2007, 2015 will be Mitch Duncans time to stamp himself as one of the best players in the game.

The last fortnight he has looked like an absolutely devastating midfielder.

In the same way we should be slow to write off players after a couple of poor performances, we should be slow to highly-rate players after a couple of good performances.

In the same way we should be slow to write off players after a couple of poor performances, we should be slow to highly-rate players after a couple of good performances.

I think it's more than "a couple" of good performances.
He has been outstanding this last fortnight sure but he's been building towards that for 2 years, likewise there is nothing to suggest this is just a flash in the pan period of form either.

He has been outstanding this last fortnight sure but he's been building towards that for 2 years, likewise there is nothing to suggest this is just a flash in the pan period of form either.
He's been building yes, but I wouldn't have thrown the surname starting with A into the comparison.

He could have the potential to be just as good as Corey though. That would make him an absolute champion of the highest order. Still a while to go though.
Great signs this past fortnight.
I see him more as a Bartel-type.

Can kick a goal from 50, can take a contested mark, doesn't need 30+ to be damaging.

Ablett was the complete package. Bartel was the class and flexibility. Corey was the accumulator and grunt.

The way Duncan and Selwood undrstand each other around the stoppages/center bounces is fantastic, they seem to read each others games very well and just know where to run to receive from the other.

Selwood, Duncan, Caddy, Blicavs and Stanley in the center is starting to look so much more potent, with so much upside as well with three of them just coming into that 50-60 game region. Exciting to say the least. Just need a Danger in that mix and what has looked like a huge weakness on paper is starting to shape up with good potential.
and they've played ... 4 games together with Stanley? (excluding match practice at training)
It's coming together beautifully, isn't it?

He could have the potential to be just as good as Corey though. That would make him an absolute champion of the highest order. Still a while to go though.
Great signs this past fortnight.
probably not as inside as Corey- I see Duncan as more of an outside player with some strength inside (says she, after he whacks her in the head with his R6 stats of 18 CP!). Hopefully he will continue to develop his inside work.

I see him more as a Bartel-type.

I'm talking more of their eventual potential as opposed to like-for-like in style of their games.

Can never see him getting close to Bartel's level. He was just off the charts in his prime. The best marking midfielder in the game who consistently gathered 27-28 disposals per year, and not only that, he did it consistently in the finals. His first final series, he averaged 23 disposals, 4½ clearances & 7 tackles at only 20 years of age.
In 2007, he was amongst our top three to four players, in a team often regarded as the greatest of the modern era.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mitch and what's he doing, but Bartel, Ablett, Chapman . . . these guys were once in a generation footballers. Duncan is 24, not yet regarded a legitimate A grader just yet. If he plays like he the past two weeks for the next six to eight years, he's definitely in Bartel's league for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches Award Votes Rd 6

10 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
8 Mark Blicavs (Geel)
5 Corey Enright (Geel)
3 Cory Gregson (Geel
2 Josh Caddy (Geel)
1 Steven Motlop (Geel)
1 Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
No Thurlow love. Harsh.

Duncan almost a certainty to have 6 Brownlow votes from last 2 games.
Will never get tagged unless Selwood is out.
Kicks goals too which gets umpires attention.
Sneaky Brownlow chance this year, good chance next year if he keeps this up which he will now he is back in best position.
Duncan into centre bounces & Stevie J to forward line was necessary & a masterstroke.

Duncan almost a certainty to have 6 Brownlow votes from last 2 games.
Will never get tagged unless Selwood is out.
Kicks goals too which gets umpires attention.
Sneaky Brownlow chance this year, good chance next year if he keeps this up which he will now he is back in best position.
Duncan into centre bounces & Stevie J to forward line was necessary & a masterstroke.

A roast thread into a brownlow smokey thread, haha I love bigfooty.

no its not. his first couple of games this season were awful as were his finals performances in both 2014 and 2013. his season last year was moderately better than 2013 at best.

no its not. his first couple of games this season were awful as were his finals performances in both 2014 and 2013. his season last year was moderately better than 2013 at best.

Yep. Anyone who thinks he has gone from strength to strength without faltering is kidding themselves. He's had his pitfalls. But he seems to be working hard to reach his potential, which is the main thing. And it helps being played in your natural position as well.

Yep. Anyone who thinks he has gone from strength to strength without faltering is kidding themselves. He's had his pitfalls. But he seems to be working hard to reach his potential, which is the main thing. And it helps being played in your natural position as well.

Going by his statistics per year he HAS gone from strength to strength, he has increased everything year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back