Roast Mitch Duncan, time to step up

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
20241052.jpg

What a champion still don’t think he gets near enough credit. Should be spoken about top 25 with Stewart and Hawkins

What a champion still don’t think he gets near enough credit. Should be spoken about top 25 with Stewart and Hawkins
All he needs is n injury free ruin. Injuries seem to derail him regularly

I agree with the above, one of the top handful of wingers I've seen, but I do have a concern he's not really one to step up in a big final and will the team to a win (or close to).
Selwood does it often, Danger used to be able, Hawkins has, some of our old greats did, Duncan though is more the icing than the cake.
It's a small slight though honestly, it's not a big wack, it's just something I wish he could do.

Top 25 of all time?
He’s in the top 25 Cats I’ve seen but I’ve only seen from 2004 onwards. I was meaning top 25 currently in the league though because look at how badly we play without him and Stewart

At the very least he should be making the AA squad of 40 in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

I agree with the above, one of the top handful of wingers I've seen, but I do have a concern he's not really one to step up in a big final and will the team to a win (or close to).
Selwood does it often, Danger used to be able, Hawkins has, some of our old greats did, Duncan though is more the icing than the cake.
It's a small slight though honestly, it's not a big wack, it's just something I wish he could do.
That Richmond final - he was the norm smith medalist at half time. He does ok in finals - but I feel he doesn’t go against the tide when the other team is on top. Selwood did/does. Stewart does it. Henry does it too. Danger tries hard. Not many others really.

That Richmond final - he was the norm smith medalist at half time. He does ok in finals - but I feel he doesn’t go against the tide when the other team is on top. Selwood did/does. Stewart does it. Henry does it too. Danger tries hard. Not many others really.
That's a fair point. I always remember how poised he was too in that 2011 gf - kicking that clutch goal in the 3rd. He rises to the occasion skills-wise, but rarely the one to stamp himself on the contest when the chips are down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly not many players ever have been able to do it consistently so it's a hard mark, it's just something I wish he was able to do.

The role he plays isn't conjucive to swinging the momentum of the game.
Why not? He's a midfielder. Has as much inside as outside to his game. I reckon he definitely has the ability to stand up in big moments. I was right behind him when he kicked that goal from the boundary in the 2020 gf. Had ice in his veins! Compare that to Danger who I feel really tries to lift his team when things aren't going great, but somehow, don't give him the ball for a set-shot to win the game..!

Too right. I can't say we would have won the Premiership with fully fit players Duncan and Stewart on the field as Melbourne were a formidable outfit all year, but we sure as hell would have narrowed the gap between them and us.

Duncan reminds me of someone like a James Kelly or so some extent Joel Corey when we were at our peak - he is among the best third midfielders in the comp and has been for 7-8 years but he just doesn’t have that extra piece to his puzzle when he’s required to be the one getting us over the line. Corey and Kelly were awesome when Ablett and Bartel and to some extent Selwood at that point were the ones controlling the direction of the game. I feel like Duncan is a bit the same

Duncan reminds me of someone like a James Kelly or so some extent Joel Corey when we were at our peak - he is among the best third midfielders in the comp and has been for 7-8 years but he just doesn’t have that extra piece to his puzzle when he’s required to be the one getting us over the line. Corey and Kelly were awesome when Ablett and Bartel and to some extent Selwood at that point were the ones controlling the direction of the game. I feel like Duncan is a bit the same
Joel Corey should be spoken about like the two (3) you said above but the guy in general is too quiet or something. Maybe he doesn’t like the media like Milburn and that’s why no one ever rates him in discussions. I see it when they talk about small forwards and no one ever brings up Jeff Farmer. Pops Kelly is the guy who we should all be speaking about like Joel Corey. The true underrated player

Agree somewhat, but he does not seem to have that mongrel, toughness that Kelly and Corey had.
Also surprised how often his kicking goes astray with and without pressure.
He is exactly where he deserves to be in our team- not quite a B&F, not quite an AA.

He is exactly where he deserves to be in our team- not quite a B&F, not quite an AA.

Not out of the question that Mitch could snag a B&F...

He was way in front on the Geelong MVP votes on this Board before injury struck.

Not out of the question that Mitch could snag a B&F...

He was way in front on the Geelong MVP votes on this Board before injury struck.
Time will tell. If he wins one, we are better for it- but injury, inconsistency, whatever- he is yet to snag one.

Agree with the OP. Mitch has done nothing. NOTHING!

Edit: Oh I see. Duncan not Clarke. The former has done ok innit. The latter not so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back