Roast Mitch Duncan, time to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What a champion still don’t think he gets near enough credit. Should be spoken about top 25 with Stewart and Hawkins
Cos he aint at that level. Those are 3 times all australians. Strewart probably will end up with more and hawkins should have 4. A plus grade elites.

Duncan aint near that level. He is a b plus.

Cos he aint at that level. Those are 3 times all australians. Strewart probably will end up with more and hawkins should have 4. A plus grade elites.

Duncan aint near that level. He is a b plus.
Agree. That is a fair assessment, B +

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh no, seeds is on an ”aint” bender again
As in pointing out facts that dont fit with the fairytale.

maybe we should find some random person to predict that duncan will win a brownlow and then we can use that to argue that duncan is an A grade midfielder.

this approach is being attempted in the blicavs thread. It can work for duncan too.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh no, seeds is on an ”aint” bender again

It's just an opinion.
No need to flip it around and look toward the poster in order to get a point across.

Duncan's been an excellent player. Goes to show how damn good you have to be to actually become elite. Not many make the cut. Probably only 3 or 4 players for every list are elite.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
As in pointing out facts that dont fit with the fairytale.

maybe we should find some random person to predict that duncan will win a brownlow and then we can use that to argue that duncan is an A grade midfielder.

this approach is being attempted in the blicavs thread. It can work for duncan too.

Fwiw, I actually agree with your assessment of Duncan vs Stewart and Hawkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It's just an opinion.
No need to flip it around and look toward the poster in order to get a point across.

Duncan's been an excellent player. Goes to show how damn good you have to be to actually become elite. Not many make the cut. Probably only 3 or 4 players for every list are elite.

I think Duncan is better than Stewart. Harder position and he's proven himself over far longer.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Duncan is a B Grader. A very good player on a similar level to Isaac Smith and Cam Guthrie

I think Duncan is better than Stewart. Harder position and he's proven himself over far longer.
Can't agree.
What position is Duncan?
Outside mid?
Wing?
Is he even in our best 3 mids? Stewart is currently our very best player.
Over this far longer period, Duncan has disappeared under pressure in finals.
Attacking HBF players, who set up play but can also mark the footy with great effect, and great in contests , are worth more , imho, than Duncan type players.

Can't agree.
What position is Duncan?
Outside mid?
Wing?
Attacking HBF players, who set up play but can also mark the footy with great effect, and great in contests , are worth more , imho, than Duncan type players.
Duncan very good player, very good.
Stewart is a star.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't agree.
What position is Duncan?
Outside mid?
Wing?

I think Geelong has never had a shortage of very good half back flankers. Stewart has turned out to be very good, but he's had some absolute finals stinkers as well. To me it would be extremely unfair (and inaccurate) to single Duncan out as we've had others - other midfielders even - who have failed in finals more often and more spectacularly. To me he's been a steady and very reliable contributor for a decade. May not have ever been THE best midfielder (although in 2015 he was before he got injured), but he's always been in our top tier.

I'd be curious to hear who the 3 midfielders are ahead of him.

I think Geelong has never had a shortage of very good half back flankers. Stewart has turned out to be very good, but he's had some absolute finals stinkers as well. To me it would be extremely unfair (and inaccurate) to single Duncan out as we've had others - other midfielders even - who have failed in finals more often and more spectacularly. To me he's been a steady and very reliable contributor for a decade. May not have ever been THE best midfielder (although in 2015 he was before he got injured), but he's always been in our top tier.

I'd be curious to hear who the 3 midfielders are ahead of him.
He may well be in the top 3.
I was asking.
Probably- Danger- still #1. Guthrie#2. Then a blanket over Duncan, Selwood and Menegola.
It may all unravel next season, but up until 2021, over the long haul, that's about where it's at in my pov.

Last edited:

Shooooltzey

Debutant
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Can we focus on the thousands of amazing things this man has done for our football club and not exaggerate his very few and minor flaws. B grader? Very good player? He has been undeniably been a superstar for our club. It embarrasses me how critical, negative and wrong some of our supporters can be on occasions.

I don't care if he hasn't been our best player. We have been the best team in the competition for the last 15 years and that doesn't happen without a large group of superstars. Just because he isn't better than x doesn't make him not a superstar.

Doesn't show up in finals? Who was one of the only players who showed up against port adelaide this year? Who carried our midfield in the 2020 finals series? Who would have won a Norm Smith if Dusty didn't turn into superman for a quarter and a bit?

Yes he has gone missing. But that has only ever been when our whole team has gone missing. It's impossible to do anything on the outside when you are being whipped in the contest.

Please just speak more positively about a guy who is going to be in the hall of fame for our club.

Can we focus on the thousands of amazing things this man has done for our football club and not exaggerate his very few and minor flaws. B grader? Very good player? He has been undeniably been a superstar for our club. It embarrasses me how critical, negative and wrong some of our supporters can be on occasions.

I don't care if he hasn't been our best player. We have been the best team in the competition for the last 15 years and that doesn't happen without a large group of superstars. Just because he isn't better than x doesn't make him not a superstar.

Doesn't show up in finals? Who was one of the only players who showed up against port adelaide this year? Who carried our midfield in the 2020 finals series? Who would have won a Norm Smith if Dusty didn't turn into superman for a quarter and a bit?

Yes he has gone missing. But that has only ever been when our whole team has gone missing. It's impossible to do anything on the outside when you are being whipped in the contest.

Please just speak more positively about a guy who is going to be in the hall of fame for our club.
Great to read your very positive opinion of him. He has been a very good player, but he has never imho been regarded as true top shelf. That is hardly a severe critique. It is just where he sits amongst a huge number of super-talented mids in the comp, even our own club.

Been a ripper player for our club for a long time and hasn’t showed any signs of stopping yet. He’s no B grader but he certainly isn’t a superstar either, there aren’t many that fit in that category.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He may well be in the top 3.
I was asking.
Probably- Danger- still #1. Guthrie#2. Then a blanket over Duncan, Selwood and Menegola.
It may all unravel next season, but up until 2021, over the long haul, that's about where it's at in my pov.

I'm taking Duncan over Guthrie personally. He's been more consistent over the journey. Hurts you a bit more often than what Guthrie does.
25 disposals from Duncan is going to equate to a lot of score involvements and more often than not, a goal kicked by himself.

I'm taking Duncan over Guthrie personally. He's been more consistent over the journey. Hurts you a bit more often than what Guthrie does.
25 disposals from Duncan is going to equate to a lot of score involvements and more often than not, a goal kicked by himself.
We are pretty well off then, because I really like the way Guthrie plays as a mid

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
We are pretty well off then, because I really like the way Guthrie plays as a mid

Whats the best Duncan has ever polled in the B&F ?

Like every player, not perfect but I wish more could kick the ball like him. Id agree , I cant remember him having too many great finals games but then again , could say that about a few players in recent years.

Like every player, not perfect but I wish more could kick the ball like him. Id agree , I cant remember him having too many great finals games but then again , could say that about a few players in recent years.
Have seen several games in the last 3 seasons where his beautiful kicking has been right off. Pressure.

Duncan finished 2nd in the B&F in 2017 - Dangerfield a clear winner ahead of Mitch

He also finished 3rd in the 2014 B&F, behind Selwood & Hawkins
1st: Joel Selwood – 304
2nd: Tom Hawkins – 294
3rd: Mitch Duncan 289.5

Since 2012, Mitch has finished top 10 in the B&F every year except 2015 & 2021 - his 2 injury interrupted years where he played less than 20 games & was restricted to 11 & 13 games respectively

Duncan finished 2nd in the B&F in 2017 - Dangerfield a clear winner ahead of Mitch

Since 2012, Mitch has finished top 10 in the B&F every year except 2015 & 2021 - his 2 injury interrupted years where he played less than 20 games & was restricted to 11 & 13 games respectively
Very important player, and we are more potent when he is well. Just below A grade status maybe, but a complete 2022 season may cement him there.

Just for interest, Blake Hardwick has finished runner up in 2 Hawks B & F now. But is he an A grader? I think he is, but outside Hawthorn, is never spoken about. He was a brilliant forward for Eastern, but has been used exclusively as a small defender at Hawthorn.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Sort of what I thought...up there, in and about. He probably only needs to produce an injury free season playing at his best form , and he could win it and make AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back