Mitch Georgiades v Chad Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is anyone else seeing a bit of a similarity in career projections to date?

Could it end the same way with Mitch moving to CHB?

With Charlie, Todd, Finlayson, Lord, Teakle, Visintini and Skully all up forward and not much height down back it might be a possibility.

Why did Chad move back when he did anyway? I can't remember if it was a KPD injury or just a trial of a positional change.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chad moved to CHB at the start of 2004. Paxman had just been delisted but I think more than anything Chocolate just wanted to change things up and give our back half a bit more of an attacking flair. Also had the added bonus of giving Thurstans an opportunity to play every game which obviously worked out great that year.

Georgiades for me isn't as agile as Chad and probably not as smart a player either. He's still young, just needs to work hard on ironing out his deficiencies.

Chad was moved backed because he wasn't cutting it as a forward. Very good comparison though 👍

It's not really fair to compare their careers early on. Additionally,
  • the game has changed with regard to the role of tall forwards
  • Chad at 191cm was probably still a bona fide KPP, at least moreso than Mitch at 192cm now.
  • Midfield players are taller than in Chad's day. When he played he was quite a bull of a midfielder.
IIRC one reason Chad was moved to CHB was because he was a lousy kick at goal. Also, we lost Paxman in 2003.

Personally I would hate to see Mitch at CHB. His aerial marking ability and contested skills make him such an exciting forward. Yeah he had the yips last season but his kicking style at goal is quite sound as 2021 testified. That is where I'd like to see him more than any other position. He is one those players who makes your pulse race every time the ball is kicked high in his direction.

Charlie is closer to retirement than not. Finlayson I see as a utility who may end up playing around the ground. There is no guarantee than Lord, Teakle, Visintini and Skully will make it. Some of those players are more likely to be bit forwards who play in the ruck anyway.

In terms of player comparison what was said earlier was spot on. Georgiades is agile as *, a natural athlete. Cornes was a smart player, using his size and ability to read the play to great affect. Sadly his career was somewhat cruelled by injury.

Last edited:
I don't see a kpf in geo 🤔

He is a forward in my opinion....

Anyone would think we don't have an X key forward who now is a goal kicking coach 🙄
Just imagine if young Mitch had the support of someone that kicked 8 on debut.

Just imagine if young Mitch had the support of someone that kicked 8 on debut.
I loved George so much, since he started until the last season or two. He can take a great screamer no doubt there, but that's about it, it seems. He's lost the ability to kick a goal, and it's tragic.

Don't forget how huge at CHB Cornes was. Even if George moved down back, he isn't fit to tie Chad's boot laces at present.

If I sound overly critical of a young player, I might be. It comes from a place of deep disappointment.

Last edited:
I could see his marking in a zonal role alongside Allir being a huge asset TBH. Right now we're ****ed when Allir gets shut down.

Teams that have two down back intercepting are much harder to get through. But it's too early to give up on him as a KPF and we shouldn't rob our KPF pipeline because we've been too stupid to look after the KPDs.

Not sure what's happened to Mitch's goal kicking. In his first season, he could hardly miss. I remember his break out game against the dees up in Brisbane 2020. Dunstall called his kicking technique, perfect.

Now... he's probably at Dixon level conversion.

Jeremy Howe, Chad Cornes, Craig Bolton. 190cm Marking forwards make good CHB’s. But this board loses its mind when Ollie Lord, Mason Shaw etc have been trialed down there in the Magoos… talk about split personalities.

Justin Leppitsch, Roger Delany

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what's happened to Mitch's goal kicking. In his first season, he could hardly miss. I remember his break out game against the dees up in Brisbane 2020. Dunstall called his kicking technique, perfect.

Now... he's probably at Dixon level conversion.
I remember that comment by Dunstall, so we know Mitch can definitely do it but as inconsistent and frustrating as he can be I reckon Charlie's set shot goal kicking is Lockett/Dunstall tier compared to Chad Cornes.

Jay Schulz! Mitch give him a call! Go for a kick at the local oval!

Chad played up the ground alot, his conversion was about 50% on set shots.
Was a very good forward but had a disappointing end to 2003. While his move to CHB changed the game, alot of teams played through him. Got beaten by some average forwards.

I think Cornes moved to CHB for a couple of reasons - firstly his relatively poor kicking for goal....and the retirements of Mead and Paxman.
I absolutely agree, but in addition Chad was a fantastic contested mark. This was something that became that became even more evident as a CHB for some reason.
Regarding the idea of Georgiadis moving down back well firstly we don't need him there. We've got a surplus of proven capable key defenders e.g. Trent McKenzie.
Secondly Georgiadis's contested marking is still nothing special. And his penchant for ill-timed attempts for a speccy mark is a serious weakness.

Last edited:
Is anyone else seeing a bit of a similarity in career projections to date?

Could it end the same way with Mitch moving to CHB?

With Charlie, Todd, Finlayson, Lord, Teakle, Visintini and Skully all up forward and not much height down back it might be a possibility.

Why did Chad move back when he did anyway? I can't remember if it was a KPD injury or just a trial of a positional change.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No.

Regarding the idea of Georgiadis moving down back well firstly we don't need him there. We've got a surplus of proven capable key defenders e.g. Trent McKenzie.
Hahahaha, u *ing wot m8. We have literally one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back