Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
hallahan_hero_16oc_gc.jpg

** poor photoshop job :p **

The Gold Coast SUNS have secured Hawthorn midfielder Mitch Hallahan on the final day of the AFL Exchange Period.

List & Strategy Manager, Scott Clayton, confirmed the GC SUNS targeted the solidly-built midfielder who was contracted for another season with the Hawks.

“We are really pleased that Mitch has agreed to join the Gold Coast SUNS.

“He was a player we identified who would be extremely beneficial to our group, adding a strongly-built, hard, inside midfielder, who is an outstanding clearance player to our team,” Clayton said.

The GC SUNS exchanged selections 47 & 49, to secure Hallahan as a SUNS player.

Hallahan, 22, won the J.J. Liston Trophy as the VFL’s best and fairest player in 2013, and after a long apprenticeship he made his senior debut in Round five this season. He played six games between rounds five and 11, including a 25-disposal performance against the Swans in round eight. He also managed to reach 20 touches against fellow finalists Richmond and Port Adelaide.

Hallahan has also been a key player for Hawthorn’s VFL affiliate Box Hill, consistently named amongst its best, and was pivotal in the team’s finals campaigns over the last two seasons.

---

great signing! well done, once again scotty clayton!

Congrats you've got a real footballer here. Tough as they come and will complement your midfield well.

Disappointed we couldn't get more for him but happy that he will get consistent game time.

Good luck next season Suns.
That's how I know the Suns got a good deal. I felt conflicted being a supporter of the Hawks, too. On one hand I was thinking, "Yes, good pick up by the Suns." On the other, "Jeez, the Hawks got ripped off."

lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats you've got a real footballer here. Tough as they come and will complement your midfield.

Disappointed we couldn't get more for him but happy that he will get consistent game time.

Good luck next season Suns.

Kudos to your club for letting a young man go for little in return so he can get more opportunity. Trading in good faith will no doubt pay off in the future :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

He will fit in very nicely in the Suns midfield. Was always going to find it tough to break into the Hawthorn midfield and was behind Whitecross and Anderson who will be back next year. I hope he has a long and successful career at the Gold Coast Suns.

You got him for a steal. Livid with my club we let him go for lowly picks in the 40s.

He'll complement your mids well from Round 1.

Hallahan represents the type of player your club will want to start drip feeding into the list. That is, an AFL standard footballer with limitations but still some scope for development.

As you are all well aware the top dozen at your club is oozing with ability but it is perhaps the 15 - 25 range where you are lacking a little. Players like Mitch will park comfortably in that region and the depth chart begins to fatten up a bit. For your 4th and 5th picks that is a perfect acquisition.

Positives are his hardness as the footy, tackling in clinches, and he has improved his movement patterns that enables him to receive the footy in dangerous areas forward of centre.

He is probably at best tidy with his disposal, and more a brute at stoppages rather than intuitive with the footy in close.

Can't see him playing less than 50 games for the Suns.

I feel he is going to burn bright for you guys, and probably add to Ablett's career game tally by taking a lot of the inside workload.

Very disappointed in the compensation, think this will end up like Kennedy, with the media proclaiming how poor Hawthorn were not to notice the talent we had at our disposal. (Hopefully this also results in us winning b2b flags in the next five years). We look after our players, and get them where they need to be (leaving for $$$, and security, or coming in for success), even if it means paying overs or accepting unders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back