Player Watch Mitch Hinge - Re-signed until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you take Thithorpe with pick 1 in a normal year? Because there is a real chance our 2021 first is pick 1.

The emphasis was firmly on that.
Yeah, I just didn't go back to the start of the conversation

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Does anyone actually see him getting a game. We have a few half backs and wingers already. Throw in MacKay.
Could quite easily play inside mid too.

I think he's depth, but it's not beyond the realms he does a Keays. Again, he's the right age range to be able to have a long term impact if he's good enough

We do seem to have moved away from recruiting short people lately. Keays, O'Connor, Hately, Gollant and now Hinge.

Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
12 years younger than John.

As far as I can tell, his debut for the Crows would mark the 3rd set of brothers that have played for Adelaide.

Andrew and Darren Jarman
Matt and Brad Crouch
John and Mitch Hinge

There have been players with a common surname, but I don't think any of them were brothers:
David and Luke Brown
Mike, Sudjai, and Tim Cook
David and James Gallagher
Ben and Darrel Hart
Matthew and Jake Kelly
Peter and Tim McIntyre
Lachlan and Michael Murphy
Brodie and Darren Smith (Really? Only 2 Smiths in 30 odd seasons?)
Linden, Mark and Scott Stevens
Luke, Robert and Scott Thompson.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You wouldn’t be the only one. Kept him out for the remainder of season is not a good sign.
I think Hamill not playing was cautionary. After the 2nd one which was a terrible incident the club likely realised that there's no advantage playing him and potentially getting a 3rd one. He is also extremely light so I hope the club adds some weight and strength to him. The other thing he and quite a few of our young players need to be taught is not to hang onto the ball when players are sweating off them. We could take a leaf out of the tigers playbook and watch how the often don't pick the ball up but knock/kick it forward and preferably to space at every opportunity. I would say Hinge was brought in for concerns over Milera and his durability. He also seems to be an upgrade on Jake Kelly and potentially someone that can go forward and kick a goal.

Last edited:

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I think Hamill not playing was cautionary. After the 2nd one which was a terrible incident the club likely realised that there's no advantage playing him and potentially getting a 3rd one. He is also extremely light so I hope the club adds some weight and strength to him. The other thing he and quite a few of our young players need to be taught is not to hang onto the ball when players are sweating off them. We could take a leaf out of the tigers playbook and watch how the often don't pick the ball up but knock/kick it forward and preferably to space at every opportunity. I would say Hinge was brought in for concerns over Milera and his durability. He also seems to be an upgrade on Jake Kelly and potentially someone that can go forward and kick a goal.
Fingers crossed on him. He knows how to football and is exciting to watch. Some guys get knocked down and get back up again. Eddie Betts is one.
some just seem fragile.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I find it interesting that Hinge states his discussions with Adelaide only started in the last week or so. I wonder why we didn’t target him earlier and left it until after trade period.

I find it interesting that Hinge states his discussions with Adelaide only started in the last week or so. I wonder why we didn’t target him earlier and left it until after trade period.

Probably because we didn't know what the list sizes were going to be until the LAST day of the trade period.

The AFL's incompetence is matched only by Cricket Australia.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Probably because we didn't know what the list sizes were going to be until the LAST day of the trade period.

And when it was becoming really clear Brisbane were struggling with their list size even though they wanted to keep him they were only offering him a 1 year deal on low coin. Fair chance his management approached Adelaide to see if there was any interest in the lead up to the negotiations.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think Titus O'Reilly says it best, I think he's adapted the quote from elsewhere, but it rings true: "The AFL are the worst run professional sporting organisation in Australia... except for all the rest."

If you think AFL's bad, go and have a look at the s**t that goes on in other codes.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think Titus O'Reilly says it best, I think he's adapted the quote from elsewhere, but it rings true: "The AFL are the worst run professional sporting organisation in Australia... except for all the rest."

If you think AFL's bad, go and have a look at the sh*t that goes on in other codes.
Pretty sad state of affairs really

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
John did his hamstring in his only game didn't he?

According to his Wikipedia page, yes.

I remember seeing him live during one of those weird trial games we used to play against Norwood where we would trounce them by 25 goals. He looked pretty good back then, not sure why he never got another go after his hammy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back