Player Watch Mitch Hinge - Re-signed until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

So I know there’s a lot of talk around Hinge potentially vying for that Jake Kelly type role in defense, but do we see any midfield potential here? He seems to have all the right physical attributes to me. Wing? Inside? Combo? Tagger? Can he find enough of the ball?

Sure, we can hide him in a back pocket if we want, but there’s something about Mitch that makes me want to send him to the midfield with his old mate Keays. He’s AFL-ready, unlike a lot of the guys on our list younger than him.

So I know there’s a lot of talk around Hinge potentially vying for that Jake Kelly type role in defense, but do we see any midfield potential here? He seems to have all the right physical attributes to me. Wing? Inside? Combo? Tagger? Can he find enough of the ball?

Sure, we can hide him in a back pocket if we want, but there’s something about Mitch that makes me want to send him to the midfield with his old mate Keays. He’s AFL-ready, unlike a lot of the guys on our list younger than him.
Don't know enough about him as to whether he can midfield, but Doedee replaces Kelly. Hinge I would like to see off half back as an attacking rebound defender.

Don't know enough about him as to whether he can midfield, but Doedee replaces Kelly. Hinge I would like to see off half back as an attacking rebound defender.

If Hinge is in that attacking defender role, then one of Smith or Hamill (or Milera) aren’t. That’s 3 very good players he’s in competition with, and frankly, when they’re all fit, Hinge is no hope of being selected over them.

Also, Doedee is a rebounding interceptor and Kelly isn’t. They’ve previously played in the same side so I don’t really feel he’s replacing Kelly personally.

Our backline from towards the end of 2020 was different pretty much every week, but was something along the lines of this (remembering Hamill was kept out due to concussion and Doedee was injured):

B: Brown - Talia - McPherson
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Mackay
Bench: Kelly
**Note: the above was the back 7 in Round 18, while the back 7 in Round 17 featured Butts and Gibbs instead of Talia and Mackay. Prior to this we were going in taller if my memory serves.

I’d like to think we can turn that into this for 2021...

B: Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB: Smith - McAsey - Hamill
Bench: McPherson

When you factor in Milera (who I have starting on the opposite wing to Sholl but switching frequently to half back) and Butts, and also Kelly who is available for lock-down roles as much as most BF posters won’t want that to happen, and while we’re at it let’s throw in the inevitable D-Mac inclusion when someone like McPherson, Brown, Hamill or Smith go down injured, I really don’t see how Hinge gets a gig in defense unless we’re absolutely ravaged by injury.

On a wing or in a combo mid role though? Well, we have huge question marks hanging over the likes of McHenry and Jones in this part of the ground, and Hinge is more AFL-ready than the likes of Pedlar and Berry. Sloane isn’t getting any younger and would benefit from spending time up forward in the twilight of his career. Brad is gone, as are Poholke and Gallucci. Keays is no sure thing to continue his 2020 form. O’Connor and Gollant are nothing more than lotto tickets.

There’s a spot there for Hinge if he wants it and is good enough IMO. I’d love to see him streaming up the wing with the odd burst on the ball. Highly skilled, reasonably quick left footer at 190cm = what our midfield is crying out for.

If Hinge is in that attacking defender role, then one of Smith or Hamill (or Milera) aren’t. That’s 3 very good players he’s in competition with, and frankly, when they’re all fit, Hinge is no hope of being selected over them.

Also, Doedee is a rebounding interceptor and Kelly isn’t. They’ve previously played in the same side so I don’t really feel he’s replacing Kelly personally.

Our backline from towards the end of 2020 was different pretty much every week, but was something along the lines of this (remembering Hamill was kept out due to concussion and Doedee was injured):

B: Brown - Talia - McPherson
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Mackay
Bench: Kelly
**Note: the above was the back 7 in Round 18, while the back 7 in Round 17 featured Butts and Gibbs instead of Talia and Mackay. Prior to this we were going in taller if my memory serves.

I’d like to think we can turn that into this for 2021...

B: Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB: Smith - McAsey - Hamill
Bench: McPherson

When you factor in Milera (who I have starting on the opposite wing to Sholl but switching frequently to half back) and Butts, and also Kelly who is available for lock-down roles as much as most BF posters won’t want that to happen, and while we’re at it let’s throw in the inevitable D-Mac inclusion when someone like McPherson, Brown, Hamill or Smith go down injured, I really don’t see how Hinge gets a gig in defense unless we’re absolutely ravaged by injury.

On a wing or in a combo mid role though? Well, we have huge question marks hanging over the likes of McHenry and Jones in this part of the ground, and Hinge is more AFL-ready than the likes of Pedlar and Berry. Sloane isn’t getting any younger and would benefit from spending time up forward in the twilight of his career. Brad is gone, as are Poholke and Gallucci. Keays is no sure thing to continue his 2020 form. O’Connor and Gollant are nothing more than lotto tickets.

There’s a spot there for Hinge if he wants it and is good enough IMO. I’d love to see him streaming up the wing with the odd burst on the ball. Highly skilled, reasonably quick left footer at 190cm = what our midfield is crying out for.

There’s a couple of things here I think.

First is I don’t think Hinge is best 22 as yet. He’d be borderline, but if all are fit, then come round 1 I don’t think he’s in the side just yet. This can change though.

Secondly, I do tend to agree that he’s not purely a medium defender type. Personally, I see him as a bit of an Atkins replacement, or at least what we wanted to Atkins to do. A left footed athletic, predominantly outside type with a penetrating left foot. But someone who plays a more defensive minded wing/half back, but can still offer drive and good disposal and also rotate through the midfield if need be.

When Kelly leaves next year Hinge will be a good replacement. Means the team won't go backwards in that area with someone already nicely ready to go.

Also Kelly should net us a decent pick mid 30's in a good draft.
I believe that Mitch Hinge is a like for like significant upgrade on Kelly. In reading back over the thread on Hinge, I came across an interesting little discussion. I quote Carmo, who I wouldn't know from a pair of socks, but think it is worth a bump considering the laughs that he received. He got to within a few picks of a very accurate prediction. I think such astuteness is worth acknowledging and celebrating on Bigfooty.com! It encourages us to stick by our judgements if we think they have substance rather than bowing to the herd mentality!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinge is easily best 22 right now. Upgrade on Jake Kelly.

Against the tide, he actually got better as the game went on. Showing plenty of good signs

Hinge is definitely an upgrade on Kelly. He will make mistakes, but I think he's got some good attributes.

Which past/present would you compare him to in terms of game style?

I feel like he's got a bit of a hard/tough edge, good size, good left boot.

Maybe Brayden Maynard?

I thought he was good on the weekend. I like that he has a bit of size compared to most of our players. The test will be if he can stay on the park.
Staying injury free is my main concern going forward.

Has the ability & toughness too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back