Player Watch Mitch McCarthy (Delisted 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seemed like he and Lynch played 50/50 in the ruck to me yesterday rather than McCarthy playing first ruck. Not sure the reasoning behind it tbh, because it would make more sense to me to develop Lynch as a genuine 1st ruck and have McCarthy developing forward. Maybe it's a management thing to lower the burden on Lynch as a first year ruckman? That's the only thing I can think of.
Lower the burden on Lynch by playing Cox in the ruck

No point playing him forward than needing him to play ruck if Grundy goes down. He will never make it as a FF

Averaged 1.6 goals a game in 2016, his debut year, and in what was a pretty ordinary side. You may well be right and he might not make it as a KPF, but there is enough evidence to suggest he could. Don't know why anyone would be so definitive in their denial of the possibility.

Averaged 1.6 goals a game in 2016, his debut year, and in what was a pretty ordinary side. You may well be right and he might not make it as a KPF, but there is enough evidence to suggest he could. Don't know why anyone would be so definitive in their denial of the possibility.
Jack Anthony kicked 50 in his second season and failed to make it. He doesn't have what it takes to be a key forward. He is to slow and doesn't know how draw the footy

Jack Anthony kicked 50 in his second season and failed to make it. He doesn't have what it takes to be a key forward. He is to slow and doesn't know how draw the footy

McCarthy is not Bloody Slow

Speed doesn't matter if you're skyscraper tall and can use that height effectively, sadly that's not the case. If he ever learns to clunk 2 out of 3 marks he will be a tremendous weapon - though that appears unlikely at present.

Salmon averaged 1.6 in his debut season and he did make it. Neither actually relevant to Cox.

Salmon averaged 1.6 in his debut season and he did make it. Neither actually relevant to Cox.
Cox lacks the awareness to play as a forward it is seen clear as day. Furthermore he should play in the ruck in the VFL I don't care what people say if Grundy goes down Cox will struggle to come in and play as the sole ruck after playing full forward in the twos

Geez I hope he gets another game otherwise the last thing he'll be remembered for is giving away a 50!
Just on that, I didn't notice him limping as he ran off.

Geez I hope he gets another game otherwise the last thing he'll be remembered for is giving away a 50!

Why would he Get De-Listed just for being Injured.

Alex Woodward ran off and next thing you hear he did a ACL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone for the Season:'(:'( Hope we keep him on Rookie List has Showed a Lot of Promise

That's disappointing news. Given that he hasn't played a lot of football in recent years he could have done without this. We do need developing key position types so I don't think they would get rid of him after just one (now injury-wrecked) season on the rookie list. Unlike other basketball converts in Ben Richmond and Darrean Wyatt who were axed after one year (of course they were both Cat. B. Rookies) he has at least shown something!!

Didn't notice a limp either, but he sat out the last part of the match with a foot injury. Hopefully it's not a return of the navicular stress fracture that restricted him to 9 games in 2016.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-mccarthy-chose-football-20161006-grwovg.html
when he suffered a navicular stress fracture just nine games in

Hope we hang onto him...my source has indicated he is contemplating leaving the game to go back to basketball.

Doubt he go back then now after this Injury

Cox doesn't lack speed. He lacks agility and isn't a strong mark. They're whats holding him back as a forward.

Cox lacks the awareness to play as a forward it is seen clear as day. Furthermore he should play in the ruck in the VFL I don't care what people say if Grundy goes down Cox will struggle to come in and play as the sole ruck after playing full forward in the twos

Yeah agree. Cox needs to be our back-up for first choice ruck. He's the only one on our list that could play that role for us. We lack ruck depth.

and Feel for the Game

I don't think Cox is too bad with his leading patterns. He gets to a lot of contests which is why he draws frees and kicks goals. He's just so damn tall with poor agility he's basically useless when the ball hits the ground. He tries but just can't match it.

I don't think Cox is too bad with his leading patterns. He gets to a lot of contests which is why he draws frees and kicks goals. He's just so damn tall with poor agility he's basically useless when the ball hits the ground. He tries but just can't match it.

and When he has the Ball outside 50 he has a Look that he has no Idea what to do

and When he has the Ball outside 50 he has a Look that he has no Idea what to do

Yeah perhaps. I hadn't noticed that. As a forward full forward is all he is suitable to so that weakness wouldn't be a huge issue. I guess perhaps in a zone transition when we make the other team turn the ball over and he's caught up the field it may be a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back