Mitch McGovern 2: As The Worm Turns (read the OP)

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You've never heard him speak. He's excellent in person. He just gives the media nothing.
When Don Pyle does introductions for players first games or announced extensions of contracts he just looks very uncomfortable when he speaks to the group as a whole . I loved what Phil Walsh bought in persona , such a pity .

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
When Don Pyle does introductions for players first games or announced extensions of contracts he just looks very uncomfortable when he speaks to the group as a whole . I loved what Phil Walsh bought in persona , such a pity .

That's your opinion to me he seems genuinely excited and happy - and it's somewhat unfair to compare him to Phil Walsh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
1) So have we --- Laird and Sloane in particular. What's your point?
2) High end talent we've lost:
--- Dangerfield, for sure, Brownlow medallist and hard nut, but look what he's become at Geelong viz a self-promoting, smug, media-attention-seeking, diving/flopping JSelwood clone. He will always put himself first and seems to love being the Big Fish (Cat? ;)) in a little Geelong pond.
--- Gunston and Davis also for sure. I don't know about Gunston's reasons, but Davis was always going to do his two years then go home, which has nothing to do with the Crows/Club/team/culture.
--- then there's daylight, then
--- Tippett/Lever/McGovern are all money-chasing egomaniacs and were team de-stabilisers. Good riddance.
--- Cameron, well, looks like he actually did go home for family reasons, but he only ever played 4 or 5 good games/year, with the 2017 PF a standout.

It's not "a big problem" for the Crows only, since Interstate players are always a flight risk and there will always be someone who thinks he's worth more than he's being paid. Somebody above made a good point that Gov and his Manager negotiated his deal very poorly if he was unhappy before the end of 2017. Who cares what Gibbs is being paid? Gov shows potential only at this time and cannot compare himself to Gibbs, yet, if ever.

Yes - so glad we got rid of all those ego maniacs and team de-stabilisiers we desperately tried to keep.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Yes - so glad we got rid of all those ego maniacs and team de-stabilisiers we desperately tried to keep.
Me, too! :) (relax, I got the sarcasm)
Actually, we only disagree about Lever and McGov.
I'd have liked Danger, Davis, Gunston to stay, but regardless of what you and I think, they're gone.
Lever swore allegiance to the Crows with tears of gratitude for being drafted, then went money-hunting after he showed some form and believed the Melbourne media about his worth. I'm glad the money-chasing hypocrite is gone. Who would you prefer now, Lever or Doedee?
McGovern and his manager negotiated a 3-year contract which Gov wanted to break within 3 months of signing. That's ridiculous, and bad business. If you read the posts above, apparently Pyke gave him an ultimatum and Gov sooked about the Gibbs deal. True or not, he wanted to go and now he's gone too. We'll know in 2 or 3 years' time whether we're better off or not.
CCameron fans (I was not one of them) melted when he left, blaming the Club, but he had his own reasons (family, apparently) and the Crows did well out of the trade.

In the end, our opinions just don't matter. They left, most stayed, and we're likely to get some very useful additions for 2019, to which I'm looking forward. You can bag/blame the Club for the players who left, but it won't change a thing.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe the Saint will come to the Party but I want to Keep Pick 8, and trade 13 and 16
Be happy with 4, 8 21 as I only believe we have the room to blood 3 top picks in the next few years.
If Reid can get pick 4 without giving up pick 8, he will go up to another level.....he has already done extremely well these last 2 year.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes but any more than 3 will be a struggle next year more so when we want to get games into the likes of Gallucci, Fogarty, Doedee, Murthy, Then we have McAdam plus 3 top picks will be a struggle to play them all
And I have not mention Pohokle and McPherson (who I rate very Highly) unless we have a bad year again with injuries.
Competition is a great motivator.
I would hope all 4 picks go past Murphy

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
So how do the other clubs do it? Why have we lost more stars than West Coast, Freo & Port Adelaide.

I wouldn't want to take any lessons from Port or Freo. We are a more successful club than them.

But I agree, we could learn something from WCE if we knew how they did it.

We do know they have more WA players on their list.
They are also the richest club, maybe they have sponsors etc that give jobs to wives and partner's etc.
And even they lose players, don't forget they lost the biggest kahuna of the lot (C. Judd). There would be others too, even Lycett just last week.

Back