Recommitted Mitch McGovern [contracted and staying at Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton may well try to move Gov on at the end of the year. Salary cap is tight, both Cripps and Harry will take big coin, and Walsh due for a massive increase in his wage when he comes out of contract next year.

Would there be any takers for Gov?

Pies and Freo should look at him...for the right price.
Carlton would need to pay some of his salary you would think. Worth a late second at best.
I wouldn't take him for a swap of our 5th for Gov and their 6th if they paid all his wage.

Between not improving and being unfit and/or injured all the time, dude is a list clogger. Shame, because he clearly has plenty of talent.

I doubt Carlton do it but I’d take him for a token pick at Essendon assuming we don’t land anyone with our cap space.

At the end of the year I’d expect to have all of Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose and BZT be delisted. We’ll have a need for a mature KPP and I think there is upside there.

would 100% take him at Collingwood he fits a need.

Much like every other club, would be dependant on Carlton paying an amount of his salary OR taking back negative contracts from our end.

McGovern & Second Rounder for Cox and Sier would probably get it done.

The only reason Carlton would trade him is to get rid of his salary, they will not be paying any of it.

this isn’t a Collingwood situation where we need him gone or else we will breach the cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason Carlton would trade him is to get rid of his salary, they will not be paying any of it.

this isn’t a Collingwood situation where we need him gone or else we will breach the cap

I don't disagree, but it will hamper the ability to resign Mckay, Cripps, Walsh and Wietering.

Much to the chagrin of the Carlton faithful, I think its more likelythat the 1.5m he is owed over the next two years, is negotiated to something more like 2m over the next four years.

Its a pay cut however its security for Gov.

I don't disagree, but it will hamper the ability to resign Mckay, Cripps, Walsh and Wietering.

Much to the chagrin of the Carlton faithful, I think its more likelythat the 1.5m he is owed over the next two years, is negotiated to something more like 2m over the next four years.

Its a pay cut however its security for Gov.
Weitering is locked in until 2025
Cripps won’t be getting a pay rise, if anything his salary will go down
McKay and Walsh will both get around the 700 mark but we will be able to manage that.

Weitering is locked in until 2025
Cripps won’t be getting a pay rise, if anything his salary will go down
McKay and Walsh will both get around the 700 mark but we will be able to manage that.
Mckay will be getting a lot more than 700k. Clubs like Sydney will be offering massive amounts. I don't think he will leave Carlton, but as a RFA, he's going to get paid.

He’s not an RFA.
He effectively is, as he is out of contract.

To leave Carlton, he would have to be delisted, traded or walk out on the club and into the PSD.

All of which are possible if another club offers big money to move.

Its actually a worse position for Carlton as they don't get the automatic right of to match the deal. If he wants out, he can walk.

He effectively is, as he is out of contract.

To leave Carlton, he would have to be delisted, traded or walk out on the club and into the PSD.

All of which are possible if another club offers big money to move.

Its actually a worse position for Carlton as they don't get the automatic right of to match the deal. If he wants out, he can walk.
If he walks he ends up at North Melbourne. Highly doubt he wants that.

His manager has already stated that he wants to stay, it’s just a case of if he signs for 2 years and then becomes an RFA or if he signs long term.

Carlton are looking to sign him long term but I think he is aiming for a shorter deal and then a massive deal in 2 years.

If he walks he ends up at North Melbourne. Highly doubt he wants that.

His manager has already stated that he wants to stay, it’s just a case of if he signs for 2 years and then becomes an RFA or if he signs long term.

Carlton are looking to sign him long term but I think he is aiming for a shorter deal and then a massive deal in 2 years.
I wouldn’t be banking on the North secnario, many players have nominated a club they want to go to in the PSD and they got there.

Martin threatened it...

Anyway, if he wants to get paid, he can.

Just keep in mind that it's against AFL rules for a player to be valued in the negative in a trade.

No matter the salary cap being offloaded. McGovern would need to be +1 point in the trade at least, but it does allow for some creative trade ideas as future picks are an unknown value.

McGoverns contract is heavily front loaded. He will not be paid anywhere near 750k next year. He wants to stay at Carlton as he has good relationship with Teague.

All that said, be good to trade in return for a second rounder.

That is good because I don't think clubs will be knocking down the door.

Just keep in mind that it's against AFL rules for a player to be valued in the negative in a trade.

No matter the salary cap being offloaded. McGovern would need to be +1 point in the trade at least, but it does allow for some creative trade ideas as future picks are an unknown value.
What a dumb rule.

Teams rebuilding should be able to sell salary cap with salary dumbs and get draft picks in like the NBA.

AFL should allow teams to do that.

Lets say the Roos take McGovern contact and get the Blues 2021 second round.

Roos get a player and a draft pick and Blues get cap space to go after a player or help with player retention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back