News Mitch McGovern nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in the bluemour thread, i'll put this here now.

Wow the news about us offering similar money and him turning down $1m more from Freo is a shock...haven't heard that before.

All reports had said we were offering up to $200k more per year than Adelaide...sounds like it was actually Freo who were, not us.

I was annoyed at the thought of offering McGovern $750k-$850k but i'm happy if it's more around $600k.

One of the best bits was Whately asking how Young convinces the public that McGovern isn't a mercenary. You responded by saying something along the lines of "well, we tell the truth..."

Was only a few minutes after saying he would have got a million more to take the Freo deal and that our offer is pretty similar to what he was on at Adelaide.

One of the best bits was Whately asking how Young convinces the public that McGovern isn't a mercenary. You responded by saying something along the lines of "well, we tell the truth..."

Was only a few minutes after saying he would have got a million more to take the Freo deal and that our offer is pretty similar to what he was on at Adelaide.

* Whately.

McGovern though. :hearteyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow the news about us offering similar money and him turning down $1m more from Freo is a shock...haven't heard that before.

All reports had said we were offering up to $200k more per year than Adelaide...sounds like it was actually Freo who were, not us.

I was annoyed at the thought of offering McGovern $750k-$850k but i'm happy if it's more around $600k.

The $600k mark is what I'd heard, and posted, 2-3 weeks ago when the 750-850k mark was raised. What I got wrong here was assuming that we were paying 2-300k more than Adelaide. I didn't realize that he was on so much at the Crows. Media had been reporting for weeks that he was getting 2-300k more which fell in line with the whole MM was underpaid at Adelaide narrative (I assumed he was on 300-400k rather than what he actually was on).

It sounds to me like the Crows were leaking absolute bullshit to the media (MM's a mercenary and chasing the money; MM claims he's underpaid) when the reality was that the relationship had deteriorated so far south of what MM was willing to put up with that money never entered the equation to begin with. Further, McGovern was never underpaid. That bullshit came from somewhere (obviously inside Crows HQ).

550469_6e8cc3bd2874e316c5c0999ad3226747.jpg

Don't think he will cost more than Pick 23 or a future second rounder. If we don't get Shiel it may be next years first with a good pick coming back. Although he is contracted it will allow the Crows a lot of room to now chase others. Given his output this year and his contract I really don't believe the Crows will be sad to see him go

Will be getting similar money to what he is on at the Crows is music to my ears, especially since that 200,000 more we supposedly offered was constantly used by Crows fans to make their unreasonable demands look more reasonable. Genuinely curious to find out what made McGovern completely back flip on the Crows like this, can't purely be the contract that was offered when Gibbs came in if he's getting the same from us.

Just a reminder for us but most importantly self-delusional Adelaide fans who slurp in the utter rubbish they are drip fed by AFC mouthpieces in the SA media (and Roo’s mates):

Players aren’t leaving that club for $, they are leaving because of a toxic environment the club created and hasn’t adequately addressed.

On to football matters. I think this just about settles the mid-tall element of the forward line for the foreseeable future.

Fasolo will help the small forward situation but we still need some work there - at this stage useful, long term contributions from Pickett and Garlett should be considered a bonus.

Even if Murph transitions to a predominately forward role, his tackling is pretty dire and he’s lost a half step.

Good news is as far as the talls go, each one of Charlie, Harry and MM are better than average for their size when the ball is on the ground. So while the forward pressure won’t be at Richmond levels, we’ve got some relative agility in place.

Basically we need mids, mids, more mids, and maybe one each of a small defender and small forward.

Great start to trade season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back