News Mitch McGovern nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. Gov is better than Lever imo. He's tougher, faster and more versatile. (Also doesn't have dodgy knees)

Pick 13 + McAdam is a fair deal and fair is actually good for Carlton considering he was contracted. I mean keep in mind McAdam was essentially a free handout. So it's really just pick 13 you're giving up. Not bad.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised. Gov is better than Lever imo. He's tougher, faster and more versatile. (Also doesn't have dodgy knees)

Pick 13 + McAdam is a fair deal and fair is actually good for Carlton considering he was contracted. I mean keep in mind McAdam was essentially a free handout. So it's really just pick 13 you're giving up. Not bad.
Would your thinking be different if for some reason pick 13 can't be extracted from Swans?

I just don't get this concept that we are paying "overs", which rolls into the concept that a trade must contain a winner & a loser. It is not like a game of football.

We want McGovern, Adelaide want acceptable compensation for McGovern. It looks like McGovern will be officially our player tomorrow, on the basis that we have agreed to give Adelaide what they consider to be acceptable compensation. Both teams get the outcome they want.

I’m genuinely devastated that Mitch is leaving and I can’t wait for all those that are saying this is a bad trade to eat their humble pie. Mitch McGovern + Andrew Russell = a fit and firing Mitch McGovern - a very scary proposition for opposition teams, he’s a matchup nightmare.
When we lost him before the GF last year I knew we were in deep trouble.
Enjoy watching this kid clunk them from 5 deep in the pack and kick clutch goals. It’s in his blood.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just don't get this concept that we are paying "overs", which rolls into the concept that a trade must contain a winner & a loser. It is not like a game of football.

We want McGovern, Adelaide want acceptable compensation for McGovern. It looks like McGovern will be officially our player tomorrow, on the basis that we have agreed to give Adelaide what they consider to be acceptable compensation. Both teams get the outcome they want.
Too logical... Go to bed

That would be disappointing. I think gov is easily worth a mid first rounder.
Understandably so.
Stands to reason therefore, that had the AFL issued CFC a PP at 12, you'd have far less cause for potential disappointment.
The gloating by some on your board, re CFC not receiving PP, was stupid and self defeating.

Idjits feel good when outraged though.

We should respect the feelings of the less mentally aware members of our congregation.

Understandably so.
Stands to reason therefore, that had the AFL issued CFC a PP at 12, you'd have far less cause for potential disappointment.
The gloating by some on your board, re CFC not receiving PP, was stupid and self defeating.
Come on it was hilarious. Carlton said they didn't want a PP, AFL urges you to apply for one and then shuts you down anyway. You would think it was funny too if it wasnt happening to Carlton.

In any case it would have pushed all our other picks down and frankly im happy to miss out on pick 12 because the PP system is absolute garbage and shouldnt exist anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes more sense.
Conversely, what makes little sense is gloatingly, in the safety of your board's related McG thread, asking "where are the carlton people," then strolling in here for some discussion.

I don’t think anyone got screwed, I was one of the ones saying I was relieved when we signed him instead of lever. that highlight reel is the reason in a nutshell. The bloke can do it all, in the air, on the ground, he’s quick kicks on both left and right foot. Chases and tackles also. Has X factor. Actually has more natural talent than his brother, but Jeremy just does what he does brilliantly all the time.
Although we got a decent deal, really hurts to lose the bloke

Whats your take on the reason MM wanted to leave?

Come on it was hilarious. Carlton said they didn't want a PP, AFL urges you to apply for one and then shuts you down anyway. You would think it was funny too if it wasnt happening to Carlton.

In any case it would have pushed all our other picks down and frankly im happy to miss out on pick 12 because the PP system is absolute garbage and shouldnt exist anyway.
Hilariousness doesn't cancel out self defeating stupidity: or does it?

Last edited:
Hilariousness doesn't cancel out self defeating stupidity; or does it?
Its not self defeating or stupid to say the PP system is garbage. Having the entire comp move down the draft order because of one team's incompetence is a bullshit system. We dont even know if Carlton would have been given pick 12 anyway.

No he's not a gun, but has the potential to be. Only played 12 games this year averaging 13 disposals & 1.3 goals per game. Played 13 games the year before averaging 11 disposals & 1.3 goals per game in 2017. Charlie & Harry are 3 years younger and already boast more scoreboard impact per game from much less Inside 50s. He's also highly susceptible to soft tissue injuries and got dropped this year due to poor form.

Classic case of getting sucked in by a Youtube highlights package without digesting the substance of fact. Would I like him??? Sure, but one 2nd Rounder and McAdam is plenty........contracted or not.
I'm with you here on this one. Plus without a midfield, the forward line will be staved of supply

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Gov being dropped in 2018 was actually Adelaides fault for rushing him into the side after injury. They were in 'whatever it takes to make the 8 mode'. Not your standard dropped for bad form situation.

Its not self defeating or stupid to say the PP system is garbage. Having the entire comp move down the draft order because of one team's incompetence is a bullshit system. We dont even know if Carlton would have been given pick 12 anyway.
Well fork me, it's refreshing to read that your primary concern is the competition as whole.
Applying your concern for the greater good, asserting that your team is entitled to compensation equivalent to normal contracted player movement, is also bullshit worthy isn't it ? given that his desire to leave was more than likely the result of your own club's incompetence.
Either your belief in the greater good is qualified by your own self interest, or your full of s**t: which one is it?

Last edited:

I am in no way a guru of drafts and trades. But I think what is being missed is the value of McAdam.

I don't doubt the talent of Gov. But I am in the camp of we desperately need mids and small forwards.

So to me if we could use 13 and keep McAdams we could fill two holes.

Regarding the value of McAdam let's just say he went in the top 20-30. You are essentially getting three 2nd round picks for 1 player. In a strong draft that's a lot. For a team with a heap of list cloggers and very deep needs it's also a lot. That being said maybe McAdams would have gone to the pre season draft who knows.

I guess I'll just be watching who goes at pick 13. Considering their are a few potential high end father son/academy players I worry that we may miss a very good player at 13.

But you guys did well!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back