News Mitch McGovern nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Well fork me, it's refreshing to read that your primary concern is the competition as whole.
Applying your concern for the greater good, asserting that your team is entitled to compensation equivalent to normal contracted player movement, is also bullshit worthy isn't it ? given that his desire to leave was more than likely the result of your own club's incompetence.
Either your belief in the greater good is qualified by your own self interest, or your full of s**t: which one is it?
Ultimately Govs grievances with Adelaide have little to no impact on his trade worth. I'm not sure why certain Blues supporters kept thinking we would offload him for peanuts. Maybe some people need to stop buying into everything they read in the media.

Remember Cameron was unhappy at the Crows too. Didn't mean Brisbane got a discount.

really dont need 3 talls in fwd line, i would much prefer we use pick 13 on a ready made mid.
If Gov doesn't work out in your forward line, swing him back and watch him rack up intercept marks. The only way Carlton lose this trade is if Gov remains injury prone. You just picked up a good fitness boss though so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Are you familiar with Marty McFly over your way? Feel free to council him in how to be reasonable and conversational. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Every club on Bigfooty has it's Marty's. He's pretty entertaining really.

Last edited:
It looks a very fair deal to me. If you guys had Gov and we were after him in contract I'd give up to pick 10 without batting an eye lid. Sure some of it is potential and contract inflation.but he's shown real game breaker potential in his limited time at Adelaide. McAdam was always going to be the sweetener as Reid was in a hard place due to SOS expecting a lot last year the members expect to get overs this time for us. All in all I think you guys should be pretty pleased and I hope you get some real enjoyment out of what Gov can bring. Hopefully this means now both SOS and Reid can claim a win over each other and just negotiate in good faith in future years should anything arise.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up, the trade is done, these are the official details

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-10-10/threeway-trade-finalised

Adelaide: Pick 13, McAdam and Carlton's 2019 5th for McGovern, Pick 40 and 2019 3rd

Sydney: Pick 26 and 28 and 40 for Pick 13

Carlton: McGovern and Crows' 2019 3rd for Pick 26, 28 and 2019 5th

Last edited:
Deal is done officially according to Crows website. We give up 26+28+Future 5th + McAdam, Receive McGovern and Adelaide 2019 3rd.

It looks a very fair deal to me. If you guys had Gov and we were after him in contract I'd give up to pick 10 without batting an eye lid. Sure some of it is potential and contract inflation.but he's shown real game breaker potential in his limited time at Adelaide. McAdam was always going to be the sweetener as Reid was in a hard place due to SOS expecting a lot last year the members expect to get overs this time for us. All in all I think you guys should be pretty pleased and I hope you get some real enjoyment out of what Gov can bring. Hopefully this means now both SOS and Reid can claim a win over each other and just negotiate in good faith in future years should anything arise.

Very balanced post - hopefully this squares the ledger and everyone calms down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah my bad, close enough

Lol.

For those interested the deal is actually:

Adelaide get: Shane McAdam, pick 13, Carlton’s 2019 5th round pick

Carlton get: Mitch McGovern, Adelaide’s 2019 3rd round pick

Sydney get: picks 26, 28, 40

Carlton lose: Priority player (Shane McAdam), 2019 5th round pick, 26 & 28
Adelaide Lose: Mitch McGovern, 2019 3rd round pick & pick 40
Sydney lose: Pick 13

Very balanced post - hopefully this squares the ledger and everyone calms down.
People were getting way to emotional and personal over this trade and mostly just from their desire to be the 'winners' from a visual perspective. Reality is any true winner will only be known in the future but for the time being it looks fairly OK for both assuming McGovern continues to build as a player.

And he just turns contests that would be 60/40 against you into goals.

All 1.2 of them per game! No Kidding really. There must be something other than his mercurial marking ability that flows onto the other players because his tackle stats are low. Disruption of defensive zones coupled with his pace...ability to introduce a bit of chaos into an ever more organised defensive 6/7- move like a mid marks like aaron Hamill

Lol.

For those interested the deal is actually:

Adelaide get: Shane McAdam, pick 13, Carlton’s 2019 5th round pick

Carlton get: Mitch McGovern, Adelaide’s 2019 3rd round pick

Sydney get: picks 26, 28, 40

Carlton lose: Priority player (Shane McAdam), 2019 5th round pick, 26 & 28
Adelaide Lose: Mitch McGovern, 2019 3rd round pick & pick 40
Sydney lose: Pick 13
To be fair that's pretty much what he said, except he had us getting 40 instead of Sydney.

Ultimately Govs grievances with Adelaide have little to no impact on his trade worth. I'm not sure why certain Blues supporters kept thinking we would offload him for peanuts. Maybe some people need to stop buying into everything they read in the media.

Remember Cameron was unhappy at the Crows too. Didn't mean Brisbane got a discount.
Next time try to stay on topic, the issue was whether you and some of your fellow posters adopted a self defeating argument.
It had no impact because those that negotiated the deal weren't stupid, they focussed on achieving underlying interests; quite the opposite to the self defeating rubbish your putting forward.
Cameron isn't relevant, he wasn't at your club when the fiasco/s took place; if your going to use another player as an example, at least pick one that was there.

Reid tonight desperately trying to win back credibility with Adelaide fans after the Gibbs fiasco.

On mcAdam...”people have said he is a top 20 pick”...straight out of the dodoro book of bs.

He should be confident enough to let others judge the trade (in a couple of years). Amateur hour again..

Next time try to stay on topic, the issue was whether you and some of your fellow posters adopted a self defeating argument.
It had no impact because those that negotiated the deal weren't stupid, they focussed on achieving underlying interests; quite the opposite to the self defeating rubbish your putting forward.
Cameron isn't relevant, he wasn't at your club when the fiasco/s took place; if your going to use another player as an example, at least pick one that was there.
I don't have to answer for other Crows fans. We aren't a hive mind.

Why do you care so much about other teams supporters laughing about the PP situation anyway? I doubt Crows fans feel defeated by missing out on a priority pick they never wanted Carlton to get in the first place. I think the AFL struck a good compromise here. Mature-age selections don't force other clubs down the draft order, and they help the Blues gain trade currency and potentially mature bodies to help out a young list.

Regarding your comment about Cameron, I can't use another example of an unhappy player because they all re-signed. I think something like 16-18 players all extended their contracts at Adelaide this year. I think there is less player movement at Adelaide this year than most other clubs. I feel the pre-season camp was deliberately overblown by the media as a weak attempt to pressure Adelaide into a shitty trade. Plenty of opposition supporters thought the AFL's Integrity unit were going to slap us with sanctions. It was hilarious.

Last edited:
I did say YOU and some of your fellow posters.
Read what I wrote, rather than pretending what I wrote; You were a subject.
It's clear your dancing around the question.
End of conversation.

Last edited:

Why do you care so much about other teams supporters laughing about the PP situation anyway? I doubt Crows fans feel defeated by missing out on a priority pick they never wanted Carlton to get in the first place. I think the AFL struck a good compromise here. Mature-age selections don't force other clubs down the draft order, and they help the Blues gain trade currency and potentially mature bodies to help out a young list.

Regarding your comment about Cameron, I can't use another example of an unhappy player because they all re-signed. I think something like 16-18 players all extended their contracts at Adelaide this year. I think there is less player movement at Adelaide this year than most other clubs. I feel the pre-season camp was deliberately overblown by the media as a weak attempt to pressure Adelaide into a shitty trade. Plenty of opposition supporters thought the AFL's Integrity unit were going to slap us with sanctions. It was hilarious.
Pity you added the main substance of your post [in red] after I responded to your initial post.
In future, if you want someone to engage your question/s, first answer prior questions posed you to.
Its a process of turns.

Exactly. Which is why Crows fans have been asking for such a high price for him. Will be a star for you guys and possibly every bit as good as Curnow for you up forward

Yeah got hands like his brother , and a beautiful set shot for goal and only 23. And he nominated us . Huge upside .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back