Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I must have missed what you were told?
That one of the reasons McGovern stayed was because he had a good relationship with Teague, and during negotiations the club led him to believe that Teague was staying. He got the shits when he found out this wasn't true.

The thing that has never made sense is the Carlton bit. Surely there are 16 other clubs that would pay him good money and be preferred destinations. This would in part explain it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it values Gov and a second round pick, likely to be 22 as securing a number 3 pick in the draft. The points system is only of value towards matching a bid on draft night, nothing more.

True of course, but it’s an ok rule-of-thumb to put against proposed trades. I love the idea of holding 3 & 8 on Draft night but I’d be asking for a sweetener somehow, maybe a swap of 2019 seconds?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I find kind of funny is there's zero talk, but Gibbs was 100% happy to stay at the Blues if a trade wasn't done, but there's absolutely ZERO chance Gov will and he'll definitely sit out if not traded.
I think personally there's a good chance he stays .....but if it helps to get Rankine and Rozee

That one of the reasons McGovern stayed was because he had a good relationship with Teague, and during negotiations the club led him to believe that Teague was staying. He got the shits when he found out this wasn't true.

The thing that has never made sense is the Carlton bit. Surely there are 16 other clubs that would pay him good money and be preferred destinations. This would in part explain it.
Never heard that story. I thought the "go to" story that was rolled out was the couldn't pay him any more money, yet could afford to bring Gibbs into the club

CARLTON’S public stance on contracted players when it refused to trade Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide in 2016 will ensure it pays a premium on Mitch McGovern.
Blues list boss Steve Silvagni refused to trade Gibbs with two years on his contract in 2016, eventually relenting the following year.
McGovern has two years left on a contract of around $650,000 a season, and will receive a pay rise on a deal that could be as long as five years on as much as $700,000-$800,000 a season.
But Silvagni made clear in late 2016 that securing a trade for multiple years on his deal took a special trade.
“When a player is in contract for two years you have to pay overs, they’re difficult to get out of clubs and they’re important to the clubs they belong to,’’ Silvagni said.
It means Adelaide will not relent on a late-teens pick for a 23-year-old contracted player who can play forward or back and has his best football ahead of him.
The Blues rank McGovern as worthy of a trade for a pick between 15-20, while Adelaide ranks him in the 10-15 range, so they are not a long way apart.
But Carlton will need to secure a priority pick as either a direct trade for McGovern or to help them secure a pick in the early teens.
The Herald Sun understands the Blues will this week lodge an official priority pick request ahead of Monday’s AFL Commission meeting.
They have picks 1, 24 (received from the Bulldogs) and 25 (received from Adelaide) then selections 65 and 73.
A mid first-round priority pick at 11 could be directly traded for McGovern or they could use an end-of-first-round priority pick (19) as part of a deal.
559823_ae2e599618fedc80201ee0864e528397.jpg

I'm grappling a fraction to understand what I was told and how it fits together (or if it does).

The Teague-McGovern relationship angle but then supposedly McGovern being led to believe by the club during his negotiations that Teague was staying.

Then Gov finding out later that this wasn't true and that Teague was leaving.

??? Who knows.

That would mean that Teague didn't confide in Gov either but departing assistants tend not to flag that fact anywhere until the season is over.
Never tell your boss you are leaving until you have your next job signed.

obviously not as close to Teague as he thought then
As covered on last page. That's why I was interested in the timing of it all.

That would mean that Teague didn't confide in Gov either but departing assistants tend not to flag that fact anywhere until the season is over.

Last edited:
CARLTON’S public stance on contracted players when it refused to trade Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide in 2016 will ensure it pays a premium on Mitch McGovern.
Blues list boss Steve Silvagni refused to trade Gibbs with two years on his contract in 2016, eventually relenting the following year.
McGovern has two years left on a contract of around $650,000 a season, and will receive a pay rise on a deal that could be as long as five years on as much as $700,000-$800,000 a season.
But Silvagni made clear in late 2016 that securing a trade for multiple years on his deal took a special trade.
“When a player is in contract for two years you have to pay overs, they’re difficult to get out of clubs and they’re important to the clubs they belong to,’’ Silvagni said.
It means Adelaide will not relent on a late-teens pick for a 23-year-old contracted player who can play forward or back and has his best football ahead of him.
The Blues rank McGovern as worthy of a trade for a pick between 15-20, while Adelaide ranks him in the 10-15 range, so they are not a long way apart.
But Carlton will need to secure a priority pick as either a direct trade for McGovern or to help them secure a pick in the early teens.
The Herald Sun understands the Blues will this week lodge an official priority pick request ahead of Monday’s AFL Commission meeting.
They have picks 1, 24 (received from the Bulldogs) and 25 (received from Adelaide) then selections 65 and 73.
A mid first-round priority pick at 11 could be directly traded for McGovern or they could use an end-of-first-round priority pick (19) as part of a deal.
“pays a premium”

But then

“The Blues rank McGovern as worthy of a trade for a pick between 15-20, while Adelaide ranks him in the 10-15 range”

If a pick in the 10-15 range is our idea of a premium then there are going to be some disappointed AFC supporters.

Whole article is probably crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back