Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

What are we missing here that requires an Optometrist appointment?

buttons91 is right. McAdam and 2nd was never going to get it done.
it ended up being 2nd, mcadam, and swap of a 2nd and a 3rd

So the difference was a swap of 2nd and a 3rd

If you think that is miles apart, then you indeed need an Optometrist appointment. Specsavers has a special for you at the moment, 50% off for the clueless.

???? You paid pick 13, sorry to tell you but that's a first rounder!!!!!!

The net difference for Carlton is a second rounder traded (26), another second rounder (28) downgraded to a third rounder and the rights to McAdam traded.

The 5th rounder next year is just dressing, no one’s gonna use it.

Confused on how we paid MM and pick 40, can you explain????

You gave a 3rd rounder 2018 (to Sydney), you also gave a 3rd rounder 2019 (to Carlton)

Still big winners all round imo.

Summary:

Carlton IN: McGovern, future 3rd rounder
Carlton OUT: 2nd rounder, 2nd rounder, 5th rounder, McAdam

Sydney IN: 2nd rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder
Sydney OUT: 1st rounder

Adelaide IN: McAdam, 1st rounder, 5th rounder
Adelaide OUT: McGovern, 3rd rounder, future 3rd rounder

This was always going to be an easy deal, even where it involves 2 clubs with, ahem, history. As it happens it is a win-win-win-win for MM, Carlton, Crows and Swans.

1. MM - obviously, he gets to his club of choice.

2. Carlton

Paid - 26, 28, McAdam and Rnd 5 2019.

Received - MM plus Rnd 3 2019.

The deal is done and Carlton shows that it can deal to get the player it wanted. There is much speculation as to the value of MM, rightly. He could be very good. He could be just a player. But as a young mature age player he is ready to go and easily fits into a side that due to its rebuild has had to field players who are babies/never will bes and players who are has-beens (i.e. Palmer, Daisy) and players who never were (i.e. O'Shea).

We don't need the extra draft picks for babies or to speculate on how good McAdam might become. We already have plenty on the list that fill that role, having hit the draft hard for 3 years.

Presumably Carlton could have done a deal directly with Sydney of pick 26, 28 and McAdam/43 for pick 13 had we wished. This would have given us a first round pick in an anticipated draft year. It would have left MM (and Carlton's reputation) high and dry. Pick 13 might be as good as Cripps. Or not. As stated previously, we are heavily invested in high draft picks we are hoping to age into champions. Time to diversify with a proven solid player. Definitely a win.

3. Adelaide

Paid - MM, 40 and Rnd 3 2019.

Received - 13, McAdam, Rnd 5 2019.

The main priority for Adelaide was to get a quality first rounder for MM. This is because there is high talent SAs in the draft.

They now have 8,13, 16, 21. If they can use some of these to snag pick 2, 3 or 4 then MM will have assisted the Crows to get one of the big 3 SAs, each of whom is speculated to be very special.

Even if the Crows cannot convert to a top 4 pick it is still a draft that is widely reported to be very deep. Having 4 picks inside 21 enables a next generation rebuild at a great time draft-wise whilst still having a list with no inherent weaknesses and therefore, subject to injury, capable of finishing top 4 next year.

Next, although some Crows fans think MM is himself pretty special (and I hope they are right), his stats are underwhelming. On any view MM is a 190 cm strong contested mark who can play on the forward line. The Crows list seems blessed with players who are good contested marks who can play on the forward line: Ottens, Tex, Himmelberg, Jenkins, Fogarty. McAdam was wanted by the Crows and this is one of his reputed strong suits also. MM has also shown some ability down back. Again, the Crows have plenty of similar talent: Ottens, Kelly, Hartigan, Talia, Keath, Cheney.

So no matter how good MM is thought to be, and even if he isn't replaceable because he is truly special, the Crows list nevertheless has competent back-up.

Finally, having a player on the list who does not want to be playing for the Club is NOT GOOD. Unlike with Gibbs, MM did not want to play for the Crows.

Definitely a win.

4. Swans

Paid - pick 13.

Received - pick 26, 28 and 40. The Swans will use the points to snare Blakey. Since pick 13 would have been used for points for Blakey it is a clear win to the Swans.

When a deal is good for all parties it should just be done then and there. Playing negotiation games to screw a bit more out of the deal runs risks. The main risk is that someone comes along with a better deal for one of the parties leaving the other 2 on the lurch.

Did SOS bend over for Reid? Yes.

Did Reid bend over for SOS? Yes.

That is respect. It is called bowing.

Why is there so much reference to buggery in trade forums?

Why is there so much reference to buggery in trade forums?

Things get very homoerotic around here come trade time.

Plently of talk of bending people over, lube references and so forth.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

On point: So it was basically pick 13 for McGovern like I was saying all along. Time to move on.

Things get very homoerotic around here come trade time.

Plently of talk of bending people over, lube references and so forth.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

On point: So it was basically pick 13 for McGovern like I was saying all along. Time to move on.

I was always saying it would be a high first. Hope he plays well for your club next year and I think you will be surprised at the value he will add.

I was always saying it would be a high first. Hope he plays well for your club next year and I think you will be surprised at the value he will add.

Many of you blokes (and our blokes) were in agreement that a pick in the mid teens or so gets it done.

Sadly due to the fallout from the Gibbs trade, a sizeable number of posters were utter knobs about it, hurling abuse at other posters and making ridiculous trade suggestions.

I for one hope no Carlton player nominates Adelaide next year and vice versa. Our annual trade shitfights are getting tiring!

Many of you blokes (and our blokes) were in agreement that a pick in the mid teens or so gets it done.

Sadly due to the fallout from the Gibbs trade, a sizeable number of posters were utter knobs about it, hurling abuse at other posters and making ridiculous trade suggestions.

I for one hope no Carlton player nominates Adelaide next year and vice versa. Our annual trade shitfights are getting tiring!

I thought most Adelaide supporters thought a mid first was fair but a little more because of his contract there were a couple of numpties wanting pick one but not many there were a lot of carlton supporters wanting to trade one second rounder

McAdam is a complete unknown but could be the wild card but could also be useless

Like Port last year no one will know who wins the trade, gov may breakdown again, pick 13 could be a dud and Mcadam could fail and we all lose

It could be another Honey Badger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? This was actually in the discussion for Mitch McGovern?
No, but some delusional types early on from Crowville were claiming it was we downgrade from pick 1 to pick 7 for McGovern or they keep him....lol...There is no way Crows list managers were that dumb. Everyone knew it was not part of any real discussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back