Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

For anyone thinking SOS would pay pick 1 for a guy who's kicks 60 odd goals from 40 odd games playing usually on the second or third best defender is dreaming.

Adelaide would have to add at least 2 of their first round draft picks for us to consider it.

He is contracted. Calton fans will learn the same way GC fans learned. Pick 1.

I struggle to see how a 24 yr old (when traded) 3rd tall that averages 1.5 goals and 1 contested mark a game will be worth anything more than a mid second round pick.

Best trade comparison is Crameri whose stats were similar ( if anything superior at the same age).
Um McGovern is still getting better, Crameri had peaked McGovern will also give u a few more years service

Agreed. Someone will take a chance on him though. They won't let Adelaide nab another slider based on flight risk rumours surely.

Smith or Walsh would suit our needs far better IMO.

Who said anything about rumours?.. the lad himself basically said on channel 10 news just a couple of weeks ago he’d prefer to stay in adelaide..

Who said anything about rumours?.. the lad himself basically said on channel 10 news just a couple of weeks ago he’d prefer to stay in adelaide..

A preference pre-draft is not the same as a flight risk post draft. I know you want these guys to slide but there's no point debating it here.

Asking the same question, apparently Wines is heading there also

Ooooops
I can't see too many established players wanting to join Carlton at this point, not with how rocky the boat is at the moment.

A preference pre-draft is not the same as a flight risk post draft. I know you want these guys to slide but there's no point debating it here.
Of course not but in this super draft year the recruiters have been put on notice by his comments and why risk a pick on him and miss out on others that are also very highly rated that have not made such comments. Seems obvious especially this year

Of course not but in this super draft year the recruiters have been put on notice by his comments and why risk a pick on him and miss out on others that are also very highly rated that have not made such comments. Seems obvious especially this year

I think Raynor made similar statements then changed them as the draft approached knowing he was unlikely to stay in Victoria.

Ollie Wines said all the same stuff when he was drafted. Just re-signed with Port Adelaide for a further 4 years. Bryce Gibbs probably said all the same stuff when he was drafted. Carlton got 10 years out of him before moving him on in a mutually beneficial deal.

Clubs with a strong culture will back themselves in to convince a flight risk to hang around.

I think Raynor made similar statements then changed them as the draft approached knowing he was unlikely to stay in Victoria.
But he was in a much shallower draft. Say the crows had pick 8. Then some of the players that could easily be taken before rankine that in another year could all be picks 1 or 2 are lukosius, king twins, walsh, smith, thomas, blakey, collier dawkins

Ollie Wines said all the same stuff when he was drafted. Just re-signed with Port Adelaide for a further 4 years. Bryce Gibbs probably said all the same stuff when he was drafted. Carlton got 10 years out of him before moving him on in a mutually beneficial deal.

Clubs with a strong culture will back themselves in to convince a flight risk to hang around.
Read my comments about this being a super draft with plenty of other top top end talent that could be taken instead..buyer beware

Edit. I think the crows will end up with pick 7 - 9 based on their season to date and their draw to come. Rankine would not need to fall very far to be available at that pick

I doubted Coniglio would even put a Giants shirt on when we drafted him. Few years later, he's part of our leadership group, always the first to sign on in a contract year and recently said that he never wants to leave Sydney. He's driving an excellent culture at our club and we would be in a completely different place without him.

I like when clubs back themselves in to create a culture that players don't want to leave rather than taking a safe player just because they're homegrown. Adelaide have had some hits and some misses, but I do admire that the recruiting staff do keep backing the culture of the club in (though at times it's been to their detriment).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Was some doubts with Rayner pre draft. Interviewed poorly with at least one interstate club.

Couldn’t be happier with him and his professionalism since coming across though. Has already signed an extension too.

I think I'd prefer the other McGovern. I think we are much more in need of a CHB than a CHF.

They might only come as a package deal. You can’t afford them. Even though you could get JGov without any picks, you don’t have the currency to get MGov.

Carlton have the currency, but not the brains to see the value in pulling it off. It would be something like this.

Door 1: Pull off bringing both McGoverns to the worst team in the AFL for pick 1.

Door 2: Get zero McGoverns. Take pick 1 to the draft and take Lukosius because that’s what the cool kids would do, even though they know they really want Walsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back