Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

There's your answer. You're not going to rise with another 18 year old. If the AFL wants teams to improve quickly, adding mature age talent who can impact straight away is far more likely to meet the AFL's objective then another 18 year old who takes 3 to 4 years to have an impact. The AFL could put caveats on any PP that they must be traded but that'd just open up opportunities to exploit it, like when Silvangi tried to trade back in the pick that eventually landed O'Meara to GC.

I'd think assistance will be provided to carlton and GC but not Brisbane. Brisbanes a laugh. Purely taking the piss. But assistance will more likely be a mature age draft with a pick or 2 each.
Yup Id love to see how they try and draft the PP forced trade to make someone use it. Im almost certain any rule can be overcome with tricky dealing by SOS. He's a genius.

EDIT: try and create a rule you think is fair.

There's your answer. You're not going to rise with another 18 year old. If the AFL wants teams to improve quickly, adding mature age talent who can impact straight away is far more likely to meet the AFL's objective then another 18 year old who takes 3 to 4 years to have an impact. The AFL could put caveats on any PP that they must be traded but that'd just open up opportunities to exploit it, like when Silvangi tried to trade back in the pick that eventually landed O'Meara to GC.

I'd think assistance will be provided to carlton and GC but not Brisbane. Brisbanes a laugh. Purely taking the piss. But assistance will more likely be a mature age draft with a pick or 2 each.
So if they give an early 1st round pick that has to be traded for a player it is basically giving the bottom club a free agent in contract and the club that loses the player above FA compo.

mcgovern seems like a total flog, wanting to break a contract because he decides that adelaide arent good anymore. he has a pretty high opinion of himself if he thinks he deserves better. news flash mitch, you havent achieved anything yet and youre not that good to think that any club owes you anything. adelaide have some pretty clear cultural problems and pissing off knobs like mcgovern will go a way to solving that. hes a perfect fit for carlton, although given the reasons his manager gave for leaving he seems to be a pretty bad judge. Look forward to a good year in 2019 crows fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup Id love to see how they try and draft the PP forced trade to make someone use it. Im almost certain any rule can be overcome with tricky dealing by SOS. He's a genius.

EDIT: try and create a rule you think is fair.
xQ3DmJ5.gif

McGovern’s manager Colin Young:

Young said he could not “put a number’’ on what draft pick Adelaide wanted for McGovern.

To say what he (McGovern) is worth will be dictated by Carlton or other clubs but it’s been well written that Adelaide is trying to get one of those top players in Adelaide, whether it’s Rankine or Lukosius,’’ he said.

McGovern’s manager Colin Young:

Young said he could not “put a number’’ on what draft pick Adelaide wanted for McGovern.

To say what he (McGovern) is worth will be dictated by Carlton or other clubs but it’s been well written that Adelaide is trying to get one of those top players in Adelaide, whether it’s Rankine or Lukosius,’’ he said.
Andrew, it'll be dictated by Adelaide !

Andrew, it'll be dictated by Adelaide !

It won't though. If he nominates Carlton and they offer say pick 19 but one of the WA clubs offers a better pick, he's still going to Carlton. Contracted or not, players nearly always end up at the club of their choice.

And when I say club of choice, I mean the club with the best contract offer in terms of $$$ and length of contract.

It won't though. If he nominates Carlton and they offer say pick 19 but one of the WA clubs offers a better pick, he's still going to Carlton. Contracted or not, players nearly always end up at the club of their choice.
That's been the way of the past ......but the game & clubs have had a gutful of the supposed belief of players & Managers in their belief, they can go anywhere ....even if contracted

This will not happen with Mitch .....that I can assure you

After the year the Crows have had .....they simply are not in the mood to help Mitch get to where he wants .....you can Bookmark this !

And when I say club of choice, I mean the club with the best contract offer in terms of $$$ and length of contract.

Shiel’s manager, Paul Connors, hardly put that speculation to rest when he said on Wednesday he wouldn’t be surprised if Shiel asked for a trade.

However, he said any move would have to “work both ways” for club and player.

“That is crap from Paul Connors, with the greatest respect,” Healy said on Sportsday.

“It doesn’t have to work both ways – he is a contracted player

That's been the way of the past ......but the game & clubs have had a gutful of the supposed belief of players & Managers in their belief, they can go anywhere ....even if contracted

This will not happen with Mitch .....that I can assure you

After the year the Crows have had .....they simply are not in the mood to help Mitch get to where he wants .....you can Bookmark this !

With all due respect, you can't assure anything here. I understand your loyalty to your own club and Reid's ability as a list manager, but once those exit meetings are done and dusted and it's been agreed to by both parties that it's best to part ways it's virtually impossible to go back and say, we're going to keep you because we were unable to get overs for you or the situation has changed. Reference points Jake Stringer last year and Jordan Lewis the ear before.

Who will blink first, Reid or SoS?

With all due respect, you can't assure anything here. I understand your loyalty to your own club and Reid's ability as a list manager, but once those exit meetings are done and dusted and it's been agreed to by both parties that it's best to part ways it's virtually impossible to go back and say, we're going to keep you because we were unable to get overs for you or the situation has changed. Reference points Jake Stringer last year and Jordan Lewis the ear before.

Who will blink first, Reid or SoS?
Who will blink first, Reid or SoS? ......WOW so SOS blinks and walks away .....gee that'll hurt, given after #1, their next pick is #24, soon to drift out to #28

Yeah that'll hurt us ......we'll be stuck with Mitch :think:

This is not a standoff ....and there are multiple clubs who want Mitch .....the blinking as you put it, will be between Mitch and Reid only

Who will blink first, Reid or SoS? ......WOW so SOS blinks and walks away .....gee that'll hurt, given after #1, their next pick is #24, soon to drift out to #28

Yeah that'll hurt us ......we'll be stuck with Mitch :think:

This is not a standoff ....and there are multiple clubs who want Mitch .....the blinking as you put it, will be between Mitch and Reid only

Mitch still has to agree to go to one of those other clubs though. A non draftee player, contracted or not ultimately decides were he plays these days.

Carlton will have either pick 12 or pick 19 this time next week. (PP) For Adelaide's sake I hope it's pick 12 otherwise pick 19 and a swap of late picks will get the deal done. You can bookmark that.

Mitch still has to agree to go to one of those other clubs though. A non draftee player, contracted or not ultimately decides were he plays these days.

Carlton will have either pick 12 or pick 19 this time next week. (PP) For Adelaide's sake I hope it's pick 12 otherwise pick 19 and a swap of late picks will get the deal done. You can bookmark that.
Nope ......he stays & honors his 2 year contract .....it's clear he's only going for $$$$$$

It's his choice

Nope ......he stays & honors his 2 year contract .....it's clear he's only going for $$$$$$

It's his choice

If he was an upstanding, mature, professional club man like Gibbs who loved his former club and was happy to stay after his initial trade request fell through and had a career best season there after, I would agree but MM isn't that guy.

Money is important but to say that is the sole reason players want to move on is nieve. Eddie Betts left a club that he loved (and still does) for a larger pay packet and longer contract. Footy careers are not that long and smart players will put their own and their families financial security (as they should) ahead of the club that drafted them. Clearly there are some personality issues between Mich and the higher ups at Adelaide which has been addressed by his manager in regards to having different views to the direction AFC is going and it was agreed to by both parties that it is an impasse they can't work through. MM is currently on big money and a long term contract at Adelaide, so I don't see how possibly a few dollars more or equal to would be the driving force in him wanting to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back