Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are your over-30s over the hill? Who plays on, who goes (Mike Whiting)
The Lions are just entering a window of premiership contention, so they'll be open to carrying a couple of older players who can still contribute – as long as they're not compromising the development of younger, longer-term players.

Mitch Robinson
Recently turned 30, the kamikaze utility has played like a man on a one-year deal – with desperation. Robinson has played every game and been sensational in a variety of roles. He makes others walk taller when he plays. STAY

There is a terrific article on the HUN site by Alistair Lynch about Mitch....."Good Mitch, Bad Mitch" something like that.

You able to link that one too Dylan12?

sorry, don't know how.

There is a terrific article on the HUN site by Alistair Lynch about Mitch....."Good Mitch, Bad Mitch" something like that.

You able to link that one too Dylan12?

sorry, don't know how.
I tried looking up the article but the paywall blocked me and Outline wouldn’t open it.

Robinson and Payne locked in the Lions den until 2021 (Josie Fielding)
Brisbane Lions tough nut Mitch Robinson has extended his contract for a further two years, remaining in the den until at least the end of the 2021 season. Robinson arrived at the Lions in late 2014 after he was offered a lifeline by CEO Greg Swann following his delisting at Carlton.

Remarkably, the next season he was recognised as a joint winner of the Lions’ Merrett-Murray Medal award as the Club’s Best and Fairest. Robinson said he wants to continue to repay the faith shown in him by Swann and the Club.

“For the team that gave me a second lifeline, I’m very grateful to them,” he said. “Thankfully Greg Swann saw something in me to offer me a contract. “I feel like I’m always indebted to them.”

The 30-year-old is in arguably career-best form and is one of the Lions’ most consistent performers. In 2019 he is averaging 21 disposals and five tackles a game and is revered by teammates and fans for his passion every time he pulls on the Lions guernsey.

“We are going through some good patches this year and the future looks bright,” Robinson said. “We are continually improving, and I want to be a part of that.” Robinson is one of the more colourful personalities at the Club, having signed on as a professional e-sports Fortnite player last year as well as running his own successful podcast “Rip Through It” as well as offering quality haircuts at his home barbershop.

General Manager of Football David Noble said Robinson has come a long way in his five years at the Club. “Mitch has matured in the manner he has gone about improving his game the past 18 months,” Noble said. “He brings great energy, is versatile and has a real sense of team-first. His contribution to the team is valued strongly internally.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what Fagan thought of Mitch's comments about Malthouse....have a feeling Fages might not like him criticising a former coach so openly.

I realise that, but he is an honourable man and I'm not sure he'd think one of his players potting former coach as a good thing....then again he may agree with Mitch, I was just wondering is all.

I realise that, but he is an honourable man and I'm not sure he'd think one of his players potting former coach as a good thing....then again he may agree with Mitch, I was just wondering is all.
I thought Mitch was pretty respectful with his comments actually. It's not a secret Malthouse has more than a bit of Old Testament about his coaching style, and it's not going to gel with certain types of players. He could have said a lot more than he did.

Unsung Heroes - Round 19
Brisbane: Mitch Robinson

Mitch Robinson continued his stunning form revival on the weekend against the Hawks, amassing 29 possessions and seven involvements. But, it was a moment in the dying seconds of the game and with the Lions up by 27-points that typified Brisbane’s determination. With Hawthorn quickly moving the ball forward, Robinson’s gut-running saved what would have been a certain goal, tackling Ollie Hanrahan and earning a free kick. It was a passage of play that reflected Brisbane’s rapid improvement this season and why they’re becoming so hard to play against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back