MRP / Trib. Mitch Robinson on Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you mean this one?

Very different, the speed was a lot slower in that incident. Macrae was pretty much stationary and picked up the ball, saw Viney coming and turned his head towards Viney. Viney was going slow enough to realise Macrae was tucking his head in, effectively playing for the free. Which is why Viney pulled back on the tackle and put his hands up to try and show the umpire he wasn't at fault.

If the two of them were moving as quickly as Robbo and Duursma there's no way Viney can move out of the way like that.

I’m not saying they are the exact same incident but imo Viney could have gone hard and low and attacked the player with force but recognised the players head was down and the danger of a free or worse a serious injury
Robinson turns gets low and bumps rather than braces. So he has time to pull out.

Have there been any other suspensions handed out for a player taking a bump to the shoulder before? I now read Duursma hasn't broken his collar bone and will probably play next week.

DO we have anything comparable from the last couple of years?

Is this the beginning of the move from 'if you choose to bump and you get them high, it's on you', to 'if you choose to bump and the player gets injured at all, it's on you'?

Bumped a bloke and he rolled his ankle? That's a week.

And compare with Willie Rioli being offered a week for his bump on Matt Rowell.

I think it’s the right decision Robison clearly goes low and tucks his shoulder to bump the player rather than tackle or go the ball it’s unlucky he hits duursma head first probably why it’s 1 week and not more.

Tackles him instead and it’s a free kick against him for getting Duursma too high.

Goes the ball and would have got him high.

He made the right decision.

Is this the beginning of the move from 'if you choose to bump and you get them high, it's on you', to 'if you choose to bump and the player gets injured at all, it's on you'?

Bumped a bloke and he rolled his ankle? That's a week.
It was the beginning when they said this 10 years ago!

Went for a contested ball, realised he would get there second, turned his body to protect his head.

Unbelievable that this got a week.

It’s bad but not as bad a decision as your mate Sloane copping 1. Where’s the thread on that?

I say this round 1 every year… Christian is absolutely terrible at his job. How does he still have this role?

AFL Tribunal, Tuesday March 22, 7:30pm AEDT:
Mitch Robinson, Brisbane Lions
has been charged with forceful Front-On Contact against Xavier Duursma, Port Adelaide, during the first quarter of the Round One match between Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide played at The Gabba on Saturday, March 19, 2022.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

With that in mind Mitch may have been lucky to miss the "potential to cause injury" clause
The level of injury was all taken into account when Robinson got a Medium impact result. Potential to cause injury or an actual broken collar bone would've resulted in a higher impact rating.

Have there been any other suspensions handed out for a player taking a bump to the shoulder before? I now read Duursma hasn't broken his collar bone and will probably play next week.

DO we have anything comparable from the last couple of years?
2020 Brad Ebert bumping GWS's Perryman. Everyone had Ebert hung, drawn and quartered for that bump.

Perryman got up, took his free kick and played out the game. Even later in the game laid a bump on Ebert that forced him from the ground. Perryman wasn't cited.

Ebert was suspended with careless, high contact, high impact.

Went for a contested ball, realised he would get there second, turned his body to protect his head.

You left out the part where he has a duty of care to the player he is going to collide with.

But then again, so did Robinson and thats why he copped the week suspension. In realising he's going to get there second he needs to act in a way to protect the other player as well, not just himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fox sports 1 win GIF

1 week

ball bounces awkwardly
port bloke fumbled
port bloke was shoved into robbo
port bloke lunged forward with head lowered
port bloke known as a softie with low pain threshold
robbo stopped himself to avoid/minimise collision
robbo expected ball to skid forward in greay conditions
hardly any contact but robbo is like granite-ask dusty
call the cops robbo's been robbed.

“Turned his body to protect his head” why did he go low then ? and tuck his his elbow in ?
I’m in the minority but I thought he could have done better to avoid dangerous contact.

What else was Robinson supposed to do there? Put his hands in the air and get himself caved in? There was no way of avoiding that contact there and he’s done his best to make that clash as soft as possible under the scenario.

Hasn’t the Port player initiated most of it anyway?

Irrespective, there’s absolutely nothing in that. Mitch’s technique was as good as it could be under the scenario.

Should’ve been thrown straight out.

WTF is going on. Robbo could do nothing short of teleportation to avoid contact there. He was in the contest, saw what was happening an did his best to minimise the contact. You cant watch this s**t in slow motion..

How Willy got off and Robbo got a week is absolutely beyond me.

and I’m with the chief, that punch was deemed not intentional. they watched something different to me.

FMD. Not a good start.

What else was Robinson supposed to do there? Put his hands in the air and get himself caved in? There was no way of avoiding that contact there and he’s done his best to make that clash as soft as possible under the scenario.

Hasn’t the Port player initiated most of it anyway?

Irrespective, there’s absolutely nothing in that. Mitch’s technique was as good as it could be under the scenario.

Should’ve been thrown straight out.
What he is supposed to do is not hit anyone in the head when he decides to bump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back