Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm happy. One year, and maaaaybe one more after that - though it looks like he's got a few other irons in the fire for life after professional footy so it might be the last as he approaches 30.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
on peanuts which is a shame. He's got a family to support and wouldn't have made a lot of cash from his career so far...

He'll be okay after footy I reckon. Media career awaits. He's got the natural jocularity for a Triple M type colour commentator.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1 year is a good result. Probably won’t be best 22 in 2020.

on peanuts which is a shame. He's got a family to support and wouldn't have made a lot of cash from his career so far...
Assuming he hasn't burnt through it, I imagine he would've signed a couple of decent extensions at Carlton before moving up here - he finished in the top 10 of their B&F a few times, and top 5 in Brownlow votes for them.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Happy Mitch will still be a Lion, even on a one year deal....its better than being delisted and if he plays well enough he'll get another one next year. Bound to happen at this stage of his career.

Whatever he is getting $wise, is still probably better than the average person is getting.

Happy Mitch will still be a Lion, even on a one year deal....its better than being delisted and if he plays well enough he'll get another one next year. Bound to happen at this stage of his career.

Whatever he is getting $wise, is still probably better than the average person is getting.
He still adds value to our list and will probably get a decent chunk of games next year.
But the year after he might be struggling to get games if as a club we continue to move forward. He will likely move further down the list.
He is another who bleeds for the club though so great to see him get another year.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Really don't think any footy player is going to be short on money (probably barrying rookies) unless they lead lavish lifestyles.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Walker and Robinson re-sign for 2019
Josh Walker and Mitch Robinson will return to the Lions Den in 2019 after they both re-signed for another year.

Noble said Robinson, like Walker, was a flexible player who can excel in a variety of positions on field. Robinson played 19 games for the Lions this year and celebrated his 150th AFL game in Round 1 against St Kilda.

In the Round 10 match against the Swans he had a season-high of 35 disposals, 12 tackles and two goals. “We love Mitch’s intensity and his effort can never be questioned,” Noble said. “He has worked really hard on his game this year and we look forward to seeing what’s in store in 2019.”

Robinson has loved playing for the Lions the past four years and is looking forward to his fifth season with them. “Playing my 150th AFL game in a Lions jumper was a proud moment for me and my family this year,” Robinson said. “I can’t wait to go again with the team in 2019.”

Robinson and Walker will join their teammates for pre-season training in mid-November.
Robboresignsssweb191321312.jpg

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Player Review: Mitch Robinson
#5 - Mitch Robinson
Mitch Robinson put a frustrating 2017 season behind him this year, with consistent performances in his 19 games for the Lions. “Robbo” kicked off the 2018 AFL season in style by celebrating his 150th AFL game in Round 1 against St Kilda.

The 29-year-old had missed the majority of the 2017 season due to a foot injury so reaching this milestone felt long overdue. In his first game back, he had 23 disposals and two tackles in the Lions’ 25-point loss.

Known for his versatility, Robinson was found between the forward line, midfield or assigned on a tagging role throughout the year. In his tenth AFL season he was still as aggressive and fearless on field as ever.

A standout performance was Round 6 against GWS Giants where he had 28 disposals, 20 of them contested. This was a career-best effort and he became just the 7th man in Lions history to achieve such a feat. Round 17’s match against the Hawks was a special moment for Robinson in his fourth year at the Lions. It was the first time he played in his homeland state of Tasmania in a Lions guernsey and in front of family and friends, he booted two goals to help the Lions defeat the Hawks in Tasmania for the first time since 2006.

Robinson kicked 11 goals this year and only missed two games, Round 12 and 14, due to a toe injury. He will return next year for the Lions after signing a one-year-contract at the conclusion of the season.

Coaches Comment - Dale Tapping Midfield Coach

"Mitch had a strong season playing forward and coming through the midfield. He was used as a tagger in a number of games to good effect (or is it affect). His physical strength and presence around the ball was really strong for the team."

Senior matches: 19

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Robbo's new game: Lions star out for a Fortnite (Ryan Davidson)
MITCH Robinson has been caught up in the Fortnite video game craze, with the Brisbane Lions midfielder joining a professional gaming franchise. The game, which has more than 200 million registered players worldwide, is hugely popular in Australia, and Robinson will represent the Australian team Chiefs Fortnite in the esports Oceania Pro League.

Long-time gamer Robinson told the Chiefs website that after a rocky start playing the video game juggernaut he was excited to test his skills against the best Fortnite players going around. "I can't wait to join The Chiefs and get started with my streaming set up, so I'm looking forward to 2019," Robinson said.

"I jumped on (playing Fortnite) on console and I was pretty bad with the remote, and I used to be a gamer back in the day, so my brother, who is a massive tech head, he setup a gaming PC for me. "Sooner or later I got pretty good at it and I started to show some skills, so it's been pretty fun."

Robinson will juggle his burgeoning gaming career next year with his 11th season in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions enforcer already eyeing off Beams showdown (Michael Whiting)
LOOK out Dayne Beams, Mitch Robinson will be looking for you when Brisbane hosts Collingwood on Easter Thursday. After four years at the Lions, Beams sought a trade during the off-season back to the Magpies, where he won a premiership in 2010.

Speaking after a light session at Kingston Twin Ovals on the Lions' Tasmanian pre-season camp, Robinson said although he understood why his former captain wanted to leave, he was looking forward to crossing paths in round five at the Gabba. "There was a personal benefit for him to go back home to Melbourne, to family, and for his partner and his kids the best thing for them was to go back to Melbourne, so we understand that," Robinson said.

"And we got a couple of great first-round picks for next year, so that’s big trade value for him, and we got Lachie Neale and (Jarryd) Lyons in as well who play that midfield position and they are actually A-Graders, so we are not too worried about that loss. "But I am looking forward to this year to playing Collingwood."

Mitch Robinson Asked whether he'd like to tag Beams, Robinson's answer was short. "If Jarrod Berry doesn’t get that role I’ll be putting my hand up for sure." And how would he go? "Yeah, pretty good."

Despite his desire to run out against Beams, Robinson is aware winning a spot in the Lions' best team will not be easy. The rugged utility is now 29, on a one-year deal and facing a tough task to win a regular position. "This is the first one-year deal of my career so it is a little bit different, but I play pretty well when my back is against the wall," he said.

"Obviously being delisted by Carlton and having to prove myself, that little chip on my shoulder was a big factor in me being able to play some good footy for Brisbane. "We have some new players who are vying for my spot in the team, so it will be interesting in the practice matches. "And it makes training a lot more competitive, that’s for sure."

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Mitch Robinson on ducking out of training to practice for a $400,000 Fortnite tournament (Max Laughton)
Mitch Robinson has already had a busy pre-season.

Not only was he doing long days of training with his Brisbane teammates in Tasmania, at night he was heading to an internet cafe to train for a $400,000 Fortnite tournament. You know, just normal footy stuff.

The Lions midfielder became one of the few people on the planet to be both a professional athlete and a professional esports player when he participated in the Fortnite Summer Smash at the Australian Open. Wearing a Lions guernsey in-game - the Detroit Lions, that is - and one for his esports team Chiefs outside of it, Robinson didn’t make it out of his heat and therefore wasn’t able to win the $100,000 grand prize in the tournament held on Margaret Court Arena on the day of the men’s Australian Open final.

“It didn’t go according to plan. Had a little bit of technical difficulties before the heat started, so that put me on the back foot a little bit,” he told Foxsports.com.au. “I could’ve had better prep - I went to Tassie for our training camp for a week so I didn’t get to play much. But it was a great experience meeting faces that you’ve talked to online and played games with.” That split between footy, which remains Robinson’s number one priority, and his new-found hobby as a Twitch streamer is going to keep him busy in 2019.

So far, he has been doing roughly five hours of streaming - which involves him playing Fortnite and interacting with his viewers in the live chat - three times a week. That may sound like a lot, but hundreds of gamers have made streaming their full-time job, spending 12 hours a day online and becoming major stars in the process.

Robinson’s time was particularly limited when he returned home to Tasmania for the recent Lions pre-season camp. Thankfully for him, coach Chris Fagan and the rest of the Brisbane staff were fine with him heading out at night to practice his Fortnite skills. “(My teammates) loved it,” Robinson said. “There were a lot of questions during the week because I ducked off to the internet cafe once or twice at night after a big day of training.

“So I did an 11km training session, had meetings, had dinner and then I went to the internet cafe. “It was pretty strenuous - but I can’t really tinker with my actual job. I know where my priorities need to be. “They (Fagan and the coaching staff) don’t understand the games, although (Lions footy boss) David Noble knows it from Adelaide because they purchased an esports team (Legacy). “He knows that space is only getting bigger and bigger, so it’s one of those things where if you watch this space, there are going to be a lot of full-time gamers out there.”

Robinson signed with Chiefs Esports Club back in December to help promote his stream; a move which brought about a bit of confusion. He sees it as an outlet and hobby outside of footy; and a pretty safe one, too. “A lot of people thought I was quitting football to play games professionally; that wasn’t the case,” he said. “I’m just having a bit of fun; it’s a hobby that I enjoy, it’s not extreme sports or anything so I don’t get injured. All I do is really sit at home at night and play computer games, once the kids are in bed of course. “I know a lot of pros play games in their downtime but I could be one of the first (to play in an esports tournament). I didn’t see myself playing computer games on Margaret Court Arena in my life.”

Robinson, having experienced the requirements for a professional athlete, says he respects how much work his team’s full-time players put in; although his own experiences meant he wasn’t as nervous as they were at Melbourne Park.

“It’s crazy. One of our best players, he only got a couple of points - he qualified, but that just shows how tough it is coming down, playing on different computers, in front of a big crowd, out of your comfort zone,” he said. “A lot of the guys were really nervous, but I debuted in front of 90,000 people on the MCG, so it’s a little bit different for me. If I was taking this completely seriously it might’ve been a little bit different, but it’s just fun for me and whatever happened happened. “They put in a lot of hours. People think they just sit there all day and play, but they’ve got a lot of strategies in place, they play in scenario-based training. For them it’s a big thing and they can win some big money.”

1549338576191.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back