Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for posting those Rip Through it videos; had never heard of them until coming across this thread, awesome stuff.

Mitch is such a character and I love he is at the Lions.

Congrats on 100 amazing Lions games Mitch.

Epitome of not judging a book by its cover (I wasn't a fan of Mitch when at Carlton), but was hooked 99 games ago. He makes the boys walk taller and if all players left what they have on the field like Mitch does, then they'd be better players.

The mouthguard throw that epitomised why Mitch Robinson is so loved

After six seasons at Carton, Robinson has thrived at the Lions since being picked up as a delisted free agent, particularly as a wingman. Lions champion Jonathan Brown told Fox Footy that Robinson was a “tremendous club man” and, along with Stefan Martin, had been the “trailblazer for mature-agers” at Brisbane.

Five-time premiership Hawk Dermott Brereton said Robinson was in terrific shape for a 31-year-old. “I remember when you and I got to 200 (games), Browny, we were banged up. But he’s not moving like a 200-game player that’s been banged up,” Brereton told Fox Footy. “His body looks as healthy as if he’s played 60, 70, 80 games.”

Star forward Charlie Cameron was particularly complimentary of Robinson and the role he’d played since he’d landed at the Lions via Adelaide. “All the boys have said he’s tough, he looks after you and just genuine care he has for us players around the footy club when he welcomes us into his home,” Cameron told Fox Footy. “He’s been a key factor for me moving me up here, he tried to get me up a couple of years ago and got me up here. He’s been a big help for me and my family, so I can’t thank him enough.”

Despite the questionable mouthguard throw, Fagan said the Lions were lucky to have Robinson at the club, describing him as its “energiser”. “He is, without a doubt, the bravest player that I’ve ever had anything to do with,” Fagan said. “I can’t believe some of the things that he does – the way that he goes back with the flight and some of his tackles when it looks like he’s not going to get to a bloke but he makes that extra effort to get there. “He’s a gritty competitor. He’s had to do it the hard way, but I’m really pleased that it feels like he’s earning the respect of the competition as he grows older and matures. That’s a great thing, because he was a bit of a rascal early days and I think things have turned around him.”
1596379713978.png

Mitch Robinson dealt with ‘severely’ after Tom Lynch spray as AFL great warns he’s becoming another Akermanis
Brisbane Lions hard-nut Mitch Robinson has reportedly been addressed “severely” by coach Chris Fagan, while Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has warned he could “become a Jason Akermanis” after inflammatory comments surfaced of the 200-gamer taking aim at Richmond’s Tom Lynch.

Speaking on Channel 9’s Footy Classified, veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson said Robinson has since been spoken to by the club. Wilson said - “I’m told the coach Chris Fagan has spoken quite severely to Mitch Robinson, who has apologised to his club for the language he used.”

Fellow panellist Matthew Lloyd warned that Robinson could go down the path of Brisbane great Jason Akermanis if he wasn’t careful. Akermanis was an extraordinary player, but off-field comments along with some on-field antics saw his relationship with the club sour. With Robinson having previously making waves for comments about disliking Geelong captain Joel Selwood, Lloyd warned the former Blue against making inflammatory comments a trend.

“He’s got to be very careful he doesn’t become a Jason Akermanis where it gets to the point where you become such a distraction for Chris Fagan having to put out spotfires,” he said. “While you’re winning it’s OK, but the moment you start losing and Mitch isn’t playing that well, you can easily find yourself in the too-hard basket.”

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon, also part of the Footy Classified panel, said he was “at the roll of the eyes stage” with Robinson, who is compromising the Lions’ ethos. “We’ve all admired Brisbane who have gone about it quietly, rebuilt ... this doesn’t fit their brand or what they stand for as a team,” Lyon said. “I’d be concerned. I’m glad they’ve spoken to him because I’m at the roll of the eyes stage with Mitch. “You know what, you’re going OK son, but you’re just having a bit too much to say ... just go about it quietly and do your business.”

What a beat up and so typical of the Victorian media to turn Lynch's cheap and weak off the ball punches and make it more about Mitch Robinson and spend ten times as long banging on about a guy saying what most people think on a random platform and crucify him.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who would've thought Damien Barrett would be the voice of reason regarding this saga:

Brisbane
IF ...

Mitch Robinson wants to double down publicly on his opinion of Tom Lynch ...

THEN ...
bring it on. Hope he does. Surely we're all mature enough to handle this. It is his opinion. He doesn't care if it's not your opinion. To everyone feigning disgust here, suggesting that Robinson needs to apologise or change his ways, please just move on and find something meaningful to moralise about.

Richmond
IF ...

Lynch had a crack at Witherden in round 10, and Collins in round 12, and Mitch and Ox had a crack at Lynch, and Dimma had a crack back at Ox and Mitch ...

THEN ...
I wish there was more of it. They're all big boys, they can all give it out, they can all take it, and none of it has crossed any serious line. What we don’t need from here is any one of the above names offering an apology they wouldn’t really mean anyway. And we certainly don’t need the energy vampires - to borrow a phrase from Dave Graney - and the pretend moral do-gooders in the media to opine that it is all too unsavoury.

Very well said.

Plays with a great poker face as shown tonight
zhuNcIZ.gif

But seriously, love watching him play, gives it his all on the field.

I watched the interview with Mitch on the Saturday Countdown and its an absolute ****ing disgraceful that the umpires were so disrespectful that they couldn't explain to Mitch why they didn't pay a free. It was purely due to Mitch's reputation and the umpires bias hatred of Mitch that was the reason but to blatantly ignore the rules of the game as the umpires did surely should result in a fine to the umpires in addition to being publicly suspended for a period of time.

How can umpires seriously be taken seriously if this is the standard? And its not just related to Mitch. Happens to Toby Greene on a weekly basis and on the flipside, the umpires continuosluly favour and have a different set of interpretations for the likes of Pendlebury (which was evident on multiple occasions last night), Dangerfield, Selwood, Burgoyne, Fyfe, Walters and the list goes on compared to how the umpires adjudicate a no name or first year player etc. But those campaigners last night are a disgrace not giving Mitch the time of day and just ignoring him because they are nothing but bias cheating campaigners.

I watched the interview with Mitch on the Saturday Countdown and its an absolute ****ing disgraceful that the umpires were so disrespectful that they couldn't explain to Mitch why they didn't pay a free. It was purely due to Mitch's reputation and the umpires bias hatred of Mitch that was the reason but to blatantly ignore the rules of the game as the umpires did surely should result in a fine to the umpires in addition to being publicly suspended for a period of time.

How can umpires seriously be taken seriously if this is the standard? And its not just related to Mitch. Happens to Toby Greene on a weekly basis and on the flipside, the umpires continuosluly favour and have a different set of interpretations for the likes of Pendlebury (which was evident on multiple occasions last night), Dangerfield, Selwood, Burgoyne, Fyfe, Walters and the list goes on compared to how the umpires adjudicate a no name or first year player etc. But those campaigners last night are a disgrace not giving Mitch the time of day and just ignoring him because they are nothing but bias cheating campaigners.

Not just the Maynard incident but his textbook tackle in the 1st too.

Not just the Maynard incident but his textbook tackle in the 1st too.
And an in the back to Quayner in the last IIRC that just wasn't there too. By that stage, the umpires, who obviously have it out for him, were looking for any excuse to penalise him. Again the double standards when no umpire should ever let their emotion get in the way of the rules of the game.

Disgraceful that they couldn't explain it to him at half time whilst they explain every free kick they pay against Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Selwood, Cotchin, Riewoldt ect. when those guys whinge and complain mid game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back