Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Robinson Is Feeling Fresh

Mitch Robinson says he has been rejuvenated as both a footballer and a person following a successful first season at the Brisbane Lions.

The 26-year-old has been one of the positive stories to come from the Lions' season, turning around a perceived "bad boy" image to become a leader at his new home.

He has averaged 20 touches and seven tackles in his 19 games, but it has been since going into the midfield, and largely playing tagging roles, in the past few weeks where his real value has surfaced.

Big congrats to Mitch and Emma who are expecting their second child in March next year. Always great to see when a second chance works out for someone and they embrace it.
Wouldnt of thought it would of had this effect but a baby and a fresh start with the opportunity to continue doing what you love can have profound effects even on the hardest of blokes. Spoke to him at the family open day before the season and you could tell he was grateful he got a second shot. He said he wants to repay the club and is doing a fine job of it. Pritty sure he has earned himself a nice little payrise aswell. He deserves it.

One of my favs that I took during the year, congrats & best wishes on the news!

4uuwZmk.png

He looks like a really likeable bloke. Green take notice.

I'm trying to work out where he's going to finish in the B&F.

Thinking it can't be any worse than third.

Beams and Stef probably fighting it out for the first two places.

But for sheer effort, consistency and gut running surely Mitch has to be in the top 3 or 4 ?

And if they still have that 1%-er award, he has to be 100-1 on for that.

I'm trying to work out where he's going to finish in the B&F.

Thinking it can't be any worse than third.

Beams and Stef probably fighting it out for the first two places.

But for sheer effort, consistency and gut running surely Mitch has to be no worse than third?

And if they still have that 1%-er award, he has to be 100-1 on
I have Robinson top 3 without with a sneaky chance of a top two finish. He would have polled well early in the year for giving 110% to the content despite the team getting thrashed e.g. Round 2 and 3 against North and Richmond.

What did Green do? I have never met him so a bit behind the news.
Equally as puzzled as you.

What's Green done to be rated a "good guy...........not"???:confused:
You know that Mozzies Challenge thing. Dawson was in their for his 1st time and was beating Greeny and Green said "You will never be on this show again" it didn't sound like a joke from him, sounded like a real douchebag tbh.

When l said "Green take notice", l meant it as a joke but didn't particularly like seeing that from a senior player to a 1st year.

You know that Mozzies Challenge thing. Dawson was in their for his 1st time and was beating Greeny and Green said "You will never be on this show again" it didn't sound like a joke from him, sounded like a real douchebag tbh.

When l said "Green take notice", l meant it as a joke but didn't particularly like seeing that from a senior player to a 1st year.

You can't be serious..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 2015 Club Champions

Out of a challenging season, a record four Lions have emerged as recipients of the Merrett-Murray Medal.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin, Mitch Robinson and Dayne Zorko were awarded joint Medallists at the annual Club Champion awards dinner this evening.

Mitch Robinson was delisted by the Blues in 2014 and has proved a rewarding pick-up for the Lions.

The 26-year-old has led the way with his fearless attack; for his 21 games this season he has averaged 20.8 disposals and 6.76 tackles.

Robinson also took out the Players’ Player Award and the Shaun Hart Most Competitive Player Award in a breakout season at the Club.

Mitch Robinson Upbeat After Win

“As I said in my speech on the night, 12 months ago I didn’t have a job,” Robinson told Sportsday with Terry Wallace and Cam Luke.

“It’s kind of a silver lining that I got to Brisbane where we had a young team and unfortunately we got a few injuries that gave me a bit of a crack to have a run at it.”

Robinson began 2015 as a half-forward, but moved to the midfield with devastating results.

In his last six matches for the season he averaged 28 disposals and 9.5 tackles a game.

“In the first half of the year we had a lot of injuries especially up forward.

“I took the challenge to play as a key position player up there and apply some tackling pressure, but I wasn’t getting too much of the ball with the losses we were having.

“Unfortunately when Beamsy went down with his shoulder, I got the opportunity to play a bit of midfield time and Leppa asked me to play a bit of a negating role around stoppages.

“Leppa said he didn’t want a full tag but to just nullify the impact around contest, so I was able to play on a few big names there and get my tackling numbers up and a little bit of the ball in the offense.

“It worked out well for me.”

Mitch Robinson makes most of second chance with Brisbane Lions

BRISBANE midfielder Mitch Robinson feared for how he would provide for his young family when he was thrown on the AFL scrapheap less than 12 months ago.

But the ex-Carlton wildchild is now poised to complete a remarkable career revival with a new two-year deal with the Lions.

Robinson was delisted by the Blues at the end of 2014 and suitors were thin on the ground until Brisbane came calling with a cut-price two-year contract.

Fresh from claiming a share of the 2015 club champion award last Saturday night, Robinson is in the last throws of contract negotiations with the Lions to extend his tenure at the Gabba until the end of 2018.

Robinson rewarded for hard work

For Mitch Robinson, the recipient of this year’s Shaun Hart Most Competitive Player Award, those sentiments of being the ultimate team man and professional ring true.

Robinson came to the Lions’ as a delisted free agent from Carlton and since he arrived at the Hyundai Centre has repaid the Lions’ lifeline in spades.

“I’m not blessed with a lot of talent, I just like having a crack. My old man taught me how to do it when I was a bit younger playing for Lauderdale in the seniors”, Robinson told the crowd at the Club Champion Awards in September.

“I used to get bashed up a fair bit down there so I just learnt to put my head over the ball and get a free kick”, he quipped.

“I’m very happy for the award, but hopefully it’s (success) just around the corner.

“Stick with us, we’re not far off.”

2015 Player Review: Part One

Robinson was delisted by the Blues at the end of 2014 and since moving to the Gabba has been one of the team’s best performers. The 26-year-old led the way in 2015 with his fearless attack, and was rewarded for his effort when he tied for the Merrett-Murray Medal in September. Robinson began 2015 as a half-forward, but moved to the midfield with devastating results, often playing effectively in a tagging role. In his last six matches for the season Robinson averaged 28 disposals and 9.5 tackles a game, eventually taking out the Players’ Player Award and the Shaun Hart Most Competitive Player Award in a breakout season at the Club.

Robinson: ‘I love the Club’

Mitch Robinson’s successful 2015 season was recognised by his teammates when he took home the Players’ Player Award at this year’s Club Champion in September.

Each week the playing group were asked who they thought reflected the values for which they strive for within the team.

26-year-old, Robinson, has led the way with his fearless attack and has become a pivotal member of the Lions’ line-up.

“Firstly, I’d like to thank the boys, you’ve been great to me this year and my family. It was pretty hard coming up, obviously being delisted from Carlton and coming up here and meeting a new bunch of blokes.

“I say it after every main training, ‘I love the Club’,” Robinson said.

“I really appreciate the boys getting around me and getting me around for dinner even though it’s only once every now and then”, he laughed.

“Thanks to my partner Emma and my son Chance, they’ve made it enjoyable to come up here.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back