Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-30/lions-lose-robinson-for-north-clash-but-good-news-for-beams

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Mitch Robinson has been ruled out for one to two weeks with a calf tear.

The 2015 joint best and fairest winner suffered the injury during Sunday's loss to West Coast and will be unavailable to play North Melbourne at the Gabba on Saturday.

"Unfortunately Mitch has a small tear in his calf," Lions head of physiotherapy Shane Lemcke said.

"He’s probably going to be missing for a week or two."

Love that hit on Selwood.

Mitch is certainly one of my favourites now that he is a Lion and how can he not be with the endeavour and never say die mentality he consistently displays. Wish some of his teammates would follow suit.

Mitch Robsinson (sic) will keep playing on the edge despite being in trouble with MRP twice this year

MITCH Robinson has vowed to maintain the rage against the Gold Coast in QClash 11 at the Gabba on Saturday.

And the physical midfielder has called on his Lions teammates to help steer his manic attack in the right direction.

Robinson has been reported twice in two outings in 2016 but has escaped suspension both times.

The ex-Carlton hard nut is set to go head-to-head with Suns captain Gary Ablett and said he will be “flying the flag’’ for the home side.

“I can’t change my approach. I can’t lose that edge because that’s what my game is all about,’’ Robinson said.

“But I do have to make sure my aggression is channelled and it’s on time and it is more at the ball.

“I need to play with that physicality and set the tone early because we have a young team and we need someone flying the flag.

“I want to lift the boys with my aggression, my tackling and by cracking in and winning the hard ball.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on him. Both occasions saw the charge dropped without even a fine so I really don't see that as 'in trouble' with the MRP, so much as 'trigger happy umpires are just being trigger happy'.

Mitch Robinson, the role model

IN A SEASON of struggles, Mitch Robinson is the role model his Brisbane Lions teammates should be trying to emulate, says coach Justin Leppitsch.

Robinson has been in career-best form the past month, not only averaging 29 disposals in that span, but keeping some of the game's best onballers virtually anonymous at the same time.

Leppitsch says Robinson is playing his run-with role even better than he did last year, when he was one of four Lions to share the Merrett Murray Medal.

Robinson has had the better of Sam Mitchell (24 touches), Bryce Gibbs (12), Lachie Neale (18) and Brownlow medallist Matt Priddis (16) in the past four weeks.

He is likely to get either Trent Cotchin or Dustin Martin when the Lions play Richmond at the MCG on Saturday.

Mitch Robinson says Brisbane has point to prove against Carlton

BRISBANE midfielder Mitch Robinson says the Lions are determined to salvage something from the wreck of 2016, starting with Saturday’s clash against Carlton at the Gabba.

Brisbane has been rag-dolled by the two South Australian clubs in the past fortnight with a combined losing margin of 232 points to Port Adelaide (94 points) and Adelaide (138 points). The Lions are 2-17 with three rounds remaining.

Despite the two humiliating thrashings, Robinson was upbeat about Brisbane’s chances of a massive turnaround this weekend against the club that let him go.

The Blues are on an eight-match losing streak — their most recent win was against Brisbane at Etihad Stadium on June 4.

Carlton also is coming off heaviest loss of the season, a 71-point thumping by St Kilda at the MCG last Sunday.

“It’s definitely a game we think we can win,’’ Robinson said.

“Carlton have played some good footy this year and, while they’ll be disappointed with the result from last weekend, they’ll believe they can beat us, too.

“If the boys can come together and we play our best footy, we give ourselves every chance, especially at home.

“We know we can produce better efforts than the past couple of weeks. As a collective group we need to raise our standards. We can’t hide from the fact that turnovers are killing us.

“We have got three weeks left and everyone wants to get as much as they can out of it.’’

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton said the Blues were “fatigued’’ in the loss to St Kilda and failed to handle the pressure from the Saints.

“The great thing about footy is we’re on a six-day break, we get to travel as a group and we get to respond, and our players are really eager to respond after our performance on the weekend,” Bolton said.

Hope Mitch plans on stepping up himself as he's been killing me in recent weeks with his low output.

Thought he had a shocker against Adelaide, suppose you're always going to get that given he can be so hit/miss with his use of the ball. Just nothing seemed to be going his way at all and the frustration was pretty easy to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back