Retired Mitch Robinson (2014-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like it should be a two horse race between Robbo and Zorko. I have Zorko finishing slightly ahead, but who knows?
I'd be just as content with a Zorko win as I feel like those two are the only two players who have consistently stepped up and produced good footy for us so I'd be happy if they shared it again this year.

Player Reviews: Part 1

Mitch Robinson played 21 games in 2016 averaging 22 possessions per game with a season high of 39 disposals against West Coast in Round 13. The 26-year-old is no stranger to run-with roles. Robinson was commended in 2016 for his strong series of negating roles on some of the competition’s in-form midfielders - Matt Priddis, Lachie Neale, Bryce Gibbs and Sam Mitchell to name a few. One of Robinson's best performances was his run-with role on Bryce Gibbs, holding the Blues star to just 12 possessions while racking up 25 himself, 15 of them contested, and laying eight tackles.

Coaches notes:

Finished 2nd in the best and fairest, number one in clearances with 107 for the season for us. Number one in contested possession for us, he had the hard jobs of tagging the oppositions best players for the year. He had good scalps in Matthew Priddis and Gary Ablett which helped us win that game against Gold Coast. In his second year at the Club, he’s finished first and second in the best and fairest. It’s another successful year for Mitch.

DELISTED FREE AGENT HITS & MISSES

HIT

Mitch Robinson (2014)
Delisted by: Carlton
Picked up by: Brisbane Lions

The tough midfielder's time at Carlton came to an abrupt end after 100 games due in large part to an early morning nightclub fracas which also involved former teammate Jeff Garlett. The incident left Robinson with a broken cheekbone, which he foolishly tried to tell the Blues hierarchy occurred during a sparring session. After it was proven to be a lie, both he and Garlett (Melbourne) ended up elsewhere in 2014. However, he has made every post a winner since joining the Lions, missing only two games in his two seasons there and taking out the club's best-and-fairest award in 2015 along with Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko. Has averaged 21 disposals and kicked 13 goals in 42 games with the struggling Queensland outfit.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ts-and-misses-in-the-afl-20161101-gsf5hw.html

While some players seemed to flounder under the old coaching regime, Robbo seemed to flourish, if anything. The hope would be then that this improvement in his game isn't compromised under a new coaching system with new relationships etc. Long shot for that to happen obviously, but something that I've thought about nonetheless.

The hope of course is that with the improved coaching and administrative experience his game is taken to another yet again.

While some players seemed to flounder under the old coaching regime, Robbo seemed to flourish, if anything. The hope would be then that this improvement in his game isn't compromised under a new coaching system with new relationships etc. Long shot for that to happen obviously, but something that I've thought about nonetheless.

The hope of course is that with the improved coaching and administrative experience his game is taken to another yet again.

Methinx it is far more a personal transformation than a coaching issue. Fear not, chicken little.:)

Mitch Robinson's influential role

Mitch Robinson has established a reputation as the king of pressure, and in Sunday’s clash against the Gold Coast SUNS he played an influential role.

In the last two years Robinson has negated the likes of Matthew Priddis, Lachie Neale, Bryce Gibbs and Sam Mitchell while winning plenty of his own ball. He shapes as an important figure in the Lions’ 2017 team, whether working up forward or through the midfield.

“We’re still working that out,” said Senior Coach Chris Fagan when asked asked about Robinson's role after yesterday's game.

“I think Mitch is a versatile player that could play a role in the midfield for us or a role as a forward.

“One of the reasons that we’ve picked him up forward is for his pressure. Our pressure in the first quarter was fantastic – I think we had 12 tackles inside 50 and won the territory battle pretty well, but we didn’t turn that into enough scores, so we’ll keep working at that.”

Speaking to Lions TV after the match, Robinson spoke about the role he expects to play in 2017.

“We sat down when he (Fagan) first arrived and we talked about areas we can get better at as a club, and we spoke about me playing forward in a pressure forward role.

“I bought into that and I’ve played a bit of a tall role down there – fly for marks, pressure and tackle. We had 20 inside 50 tackles today which is a great effort by the boys, so we’ll keep trying to take that forward.”

“It was good to try and get the structures right against a proper opposition. Obviously we didn’t get the win but there were a lot of things we can take out of it – a young group in today.

“We spoke after the game and there were a few positives, we’re looking forward to taking on the Bulldogs in a couple of weeks.”

C5AtavAUYAAzS7h.jpg

I am stunned and disappointed that Mitch Robinson was not named in our leadership group. He was INSPIRATIONAL last year, particularly when it came to risking his own neck to get the ball or to pressure an opponent who had possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am stunned and disappointed that Mitch Robinson was not named in our leadership group. He was INSPIRATIONAL last year, particularly when it came to risking his own neck to get the ball or to pressure an opponent who had possession.

Ah well, the players voted and apparently there was a big drop-off in votes after the 7 announced leaders. So obviously the players have their reasoning. Maybe Mitch flagged that he just wanted to focus on footy and wasn't pursuing an official leadership position.

He can still lead in his own way.

Some people don't thrive with the formal recognition of being part of the leadership group and they are self aware enough to say so. I haven't heard any talk that he is disappointed or disillusioned.

Ah well, the players voted and apparently there was a big drop-off in votes after the 7 announced leaders. So obviously the players have their reasoning. Maybe Mitch flagged that he just wanted to focus on footy and wasn't pursuing an official leadership position.

He can still lead in his own way.
I like democracy as much as the next person, but I'd hate to think our leadership group was selected on the basis of a 'popularity contest.' Perhaps Mitch wasn't interested or perhaps the coach should have indicated that he wanted him in. Either way, our Leadership group is poorer for not having Mitch Robinson included.

I like democracy as much as the next person, but I'd hate to think our leadership group was selected on the basis of a 'popularity contest.' Perhaps Mitch wasn't interested or perhaps the coach should have indicated that he wanted him in. Either way, our Leadership group is poorer for not having Mitch Robinson included.

Who said anything about a popularity contest?

Who said anything about a popularity contest?
I did. Unless there were key selection criteria and some sort of merit and equity oversight, I'm not quite sure how to best describe a player vote.

I did. Unless there were key selection criteria and some sort of merit and equity oversight, I'm not quite sure how to best describe a player vote.

Well considering the playing group have spent the entire off-season working with Leading Teams identifying the values and standards that they want to be part of their brand, and that electing the leaders who best reflect and drive those values/standards was the final step of that process, I would say it is far from a "vote for your mates" popularity contest.

I like Mitch too, but there could be any number of reasons why he isn't in the leadership group... and they aren't necessarily nefarious or conspiratorial. The process sounded solid and we just aren't well placed as outsiders to make informed criticisms of it.

Ironically I reckon Mitch would have polled well in a "popularity contest"... he is much loved.

Well considering the playing group have spent the entire off-season working with Leading Teams identifying the values and standards that they want to be part of their brand, and that electing the leaders who best reflect and drive those values/standards was the final step of that process, I would say it is far from a "vote for your mates" popularity contest.

I like Mitch too, but there could be any number of reasons why he isn't in the leadership group... and they aren't necessarily nefarious or conspiratorial. The process sounded solid and we just aren't well placed as outsiders to make informed criticisms of it.

Ironically I reckon Mitch would have polled well in a "popularity contest"... he is much loved.
Good to hear on process. I'm not suggesting nefarious or conspiratorial and you are right, he is much loved, especially because of the selfless and courageous way he goes about his football.

Thank you Mitch Robinson for being a Brisbane Lion. There is never any doubt, regardless of the score or stage of the game that you will give your all. Through a tough, terrible few years you have done all you can for the team and we would have been much worse without you.

I really hope that success comes along for you in the next few years. You deserve it.

Robinson sidelined with foot injury

Senior midfielder Mitch Robinson will miss at least 10 weeks of football with a foot fracture.

Robinson suffered the injury during Sunday's loss to Sydney at the SCG, with scans yesterday revealing the extent of the damage to his right foot.

The 27-year old will wear a moonboot and stay off his feet for the next month.

Robinson, a joint Merrett-Murray Medallist in 2015 and runner up last season, was due to play his 150th match against Hawthorn in his home state of Tasmania on Sunday.

Brisbane Lions General Manager of Football David Noble said: "It's frustrating for Mitch who has had a strong start to the year.

"Mitch is someone who leads by example and shows complete commitment week in and week out - we know that he will show the same commitment to his rehab.

"While he is recovering, Mitch will remain very much involved at the Club, mentoring some of our younger players as well as having involvement in the NEAFL program."

There was also a nice little segment on him on AFL Gameday, which is one of the worst circle jerk footy shows of them all, in a Beats segment about what music he likes etc. Quality guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back