Recommitted Mitch Wallis [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't fit into our midfield, and he's a bit slow to fit into our forward line. His role of a high marking forward last year has now become more the teritory of Tim English and Mitch Hannan, who have a couple more tricks.

You wouldn't find a better character or club man, and I hope next year he's in a side playing great footy, whether it's us or someone else.

I’m not against him from a depth POV.
He's easily best 22 for North, not just depth. Only reason he's not playing at the Dogs is because the two positions he plays are:
1) inside mid, which is by far out deepest position, with some of our best players in Bont, Macrae and Libba keeping him out.
2) marking forward, where he's now kept out by English and to an extent Hannan. English being able to play second ruck, and Hannan with his speed, both offer something that Wallis can't, meaning we prefer those two in his position.

Him leaving the Dogs wouldn't be because he's not good enough, it's purely circumstances. He'd be a very solid best 22 player at many clubs who don't have so much of their depth concentrated in the inside mid / marking forward positions.

Was very keen the last time he came out of contract.

Not as keen this time around, but I'd still take him. Can play and would cost next to nothing.
Would literally cost nothing at the trade table considering he's a free agent. In terms of salary, he wouldn't cost much more than someone like Ed Curnow who you'd think would retire in the next year or so. Essentially changes nothing in terms of Carlton's cap position, but helps bolster your midfield stocks, which will definitely need addressing, particularly when Curnow retires

He's easily best 22 for North, not just depth. Only reason he's not playing at the Dogs is because the two positions he plays are:
1) inside mid, which is by far out deepest position, with some of our best players in Bont, Macrae and Libba keeping him out.
2) marking forward, where he's now kept out by English and to an extent Hannan. English being able to play second ruck, and Hannan with his speed, both offer something that Wallis can't, meaning we prefer those two in his position.

Him leaving the Dogs wouldn't be because he's not good enough, it's purely circumstances. He'd be a very solid best 22 player at many clubs who don't have so much of their depth concentrated in the inside mid / marking forward positions.
I rate him and have been on the record a few times for wanting him at North, I’m just thinking that inside mid spots would be hard to come by next year. Definitely want him as a forward as he works hard, tackles well, is a good mark and has a knack for kicking important goals.

I rate him and have been on the record a few times for wanting him at North, I’m just thinking that inside mid spots would be hard to come by next year. Definitely want him as a forward as he works hard, tackles well, is a good mark and has a knack for kicking important goals.
Also a fantastic clubman and leader. I honestly wanted him to be our next captain before Bont came along (and he probably would have been otherwise). It's a pity really, he'd be a big loss in terms of character off field, but we couldn't expect him to suppress his career for the next few years in the hope that he somehow finds a place in our 22. With English establishing himself so well in his new role, and with guys like West and Garcia waiting in the wings as inside mids, I just can't see him being in our long term 22.

Would love to see him smash it for another club. Really great person who deserves success

He doesn't fit into our midfield, and he's a bit slow to fit into our forward line. His role of a high marking forward last year has now become more the teritory of Tim English and Mitch Hannan, who have a couple more tricks.

You wouldn't find a better character or club man, and I hope next year he's in a side playing great footy, whether it's us or someone else.
Would have Wallis in front of Hannan every day of the week

I thought he was older than 28. You'd think he still holds some value to a club seeking experience and goal kicking options, particularly considering he'll cost nothing as an UFA. I still remember him causing all sorts of problems for the Dees last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just needs to move on, best for both parties.
Professional and super-solid character (named our VC) so will definitely help the kids wherever he ends up. Very close mentor of Cody Weightman this year and we can see his development.

Feel for Wally. His new role as that deep forward just isn’t working for him this season.
wasn't he playing that role last year and smashing it?

Is it the improved KFF stocks that has hurt him playing wise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back