News Mitch Wallis re-signs until the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-09-19/wallis-commits-to-dogs

In a major boost ahead of the 2019 pre-season, Mitch Wallis has rejected free-agency and committed to the Western Bulldogs for a further three years.

Wallis, who was a restricted free agent, has put pen to paper on a contract extension which will see him remain at VU Whitten Oval until at least the end of the 2021 season.

The 25-year old has played 123 games since he joined the Club as a father-son selection in 2010.

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said the Club was thrilled to retain Wallis.

“We’re delighted that Mitch has committed to our Club,” Power said.

“He’s a heart and soul player at the Bulldogs, his work ethic is first rate and his determination to get the best out of himself, as well as to drive the standards of others and the team, is instrumental.

“We are thrilled that he is part of our future.”

Wallis played 18 games this season, spending time in the midfield and up forward. He averaged 21 disposals and four tackles per match and kicked 20 goals, including bags of three against Hawthorn and Melbourne.

“It’s fantastic to be able to re-sign with a club that means so much to me and my family,” Wallis said.

“There was never any question about my commitment to the Club or my desire to remain here.

“We’re a young side showing some really positive signs, and I’m pleased that I’ll be here to contribute as we move forward.”

Wallis joins Dale Morris, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson and Lin Jong who have committed to the Club in recent weeks.

Terrific news.

AFL update that said he was going to Brisbane are copping it right now
So they should. The volume of BS "information" clogging our collective bandwidth borders on harassment. Check your sources, ffs!

Meanwhile, stoked about Wallis. One of those guys that has as much impact in terms of our culture as onfield. Super important signing.

dUm1GwULO50s0zNFmA3w-pgviuwW4pDzqhB_PrfPHAoif3kwM2-NDxhUzvequeCkoEf6FZ6cIlp68g=w529-h278-nc

2019 Dogs team with all players fit.

f90.gif

What is the best position for Wallis

Half forward flank/Pressure forward that can pinch-hit around the stoppages.

+ Wingard?

Other than a few smokey rumours there is no guarantee of this. Everyone froffing over wingard giving us 20 possessions plus a goal potential seems to forget that once mitch worked on his polish he gave us a poor man's version of this and was already sitting there on our list. Wingard is no doubt better by a decent margin, but would be on a much better crust, and is a very low likelihood of actually becoming a bulldog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard would replace Dahl. If we don’t get him, hen Wallis clearly has first crack at a spot next year with Dahl gone. Perhaps more midfield time without Dahl, but his center square work was pewch this year.

Hopefully blokes like Lipinski, Dale and Greene (and maybe West) put pressure on Wallis and hopefully he’s up to it.

It's an important signing even if Wallis ends up being a fringe best-22 player when everyone is fit.

Players like him bring family history and passion to the club. They help embed a sense of pride and tradition and they're the things that differentiate us from marketing fabrications like GWS.

If it's true he turned down more attractive offers to stay it helps establish a precedent for players making sacrifices to keep a (soon-to-be) strong and closely knit side together.

I gather he also has a fantastic work ethic in training as well as in games. Every club needs critical mass of those sober sensible types (in addition to the occasional clown or flamboyant types like Libba, Murphy or JJ). They set the tone and provide a good role model for young players starting their AFL career.

If the recovery from the broken leg was still hindering him a bit in 2018 there's also a good chance he will get to his career best in 2019.

And finally he brings over 100 games experience, something we were desperately short of in 2018. Importantly, it's experience at the WB. You can't just buy that at the corner store.

Congrats on another three years at the kennel, Mitch. Thanks for staying loyal to the club.

It's an important signing even if Wallis ends up being a fringe best-22 player when everyone is fit.

Players like him bring family history and passion to the club. They help embed a sense of pride and tradition and they're the things that differentiate us from marketing fabrications like GWS.

If it's true he turned down more attractive offers to stay it helps establish a precedent for players making sacrifices to keep a (soon-to-be) strong and closely knit side together.

I gather he also has a fantastic work ethic in training as well as in games. Every club needs critical mass of those sober sensible types (in addition to the occasional clown or flamboyant types like Libba, Murphy or JJ). They set the tone and provide a good role model for young players starting their AFL career.

If the recovery from the broken leg was still hindering him a bit in 2018 there's also a good chance he will get to his career best in 2019.

And finally he brings over 100 games experience, something we were desperately short of in 2018. Importantly, it's experience at the WB. You can't just buy that at the corner store.

Congrats on another three years at the kennel, Mitch. Thanks for staying loyal to the club.
Careful, you'll convince Eddie to go all out to get Ed :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back