Mitchell Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a good nut. seems batting isn't going to be easy this morning. you see the one paine got.
I reckon Marsh had that covered without the deviation.

He had it covered but the ball moved after hitting the crack.

I hope he makes 300 now, not sure how people will find a way to denigrate that.

I slagged off his selection before hand but I’m not so determined to be proven right that I’ll double down endlessly like some here

Most people were pissed off at his selection. You have to fight some to stay that way when he's scored 180.

Was a fantastic innings yesterday. Yes the conditions were extremely batting friendly, but he came in when we were still 150 behind and we needed a big first innings total to be any chance of winning the test. Three of the top 6 made starts and Khawaja made 50, and none of them went on with it. I'm glad Marsh had the opportunity to come in and bat for a long period rather than just coming in and hitting late runs.

Hopefully it gives him confidence and he can back it up with runs in his next innings, whether it be this test or Boxing Day or the next time he is picked. The bloke can play but unfortunately his best at test level prior to this was a couple of 40s, a 53 and an 87 so with a run of outs his average plummeted.

What’s Brett Geeves got to do with Marsh getting a ton?
Think Geeves ripped into the marsh selection a day or so before he scored a ton.

Shep is very close to Mitch and i think the whole Marsh clan (and extended family) have been sick of the constant criticism those two received.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Geeves ripped into the marsh selection a day or so before he scored a ton.

Shep is very close to Mitch and i think the whole Marsh clan (and extended family) have been sick of the constant criticism those two received.
Just looked up the article and to be honest, it was harsh but fair. It was having much more of a crack at the selectors than it was at Mitch himself. Yes, he points out his batting average towards the end, but the truth of the matter is that until this test he had truly underperformed at the top level with the bat and it didn't seem like there was any malice in it. The rest of the article was quite correctly pointing out that he wasn't ready to bowl after coming back so quickly from injury. Again, a pretty fair point.

Edit: Just read his follow-up article after the hundred and it was the most sycophantic thing I've read in some time. Seems like more of a flog after that one than after the critical one.

Last edited:
Just looked up the article and to be honest, it was harsh but fair. It was having much more of a crack at the selectors than it was at Mitch himself. Yes, he points out his batting average towards the end, but the truth of the matter is that until this test he had truly underperformed at the top level with the bat and it didn't seem like there was any malice in it. The rest of the article was quite correctly pointing out that he wasn't ready to bowl after coming back so quickly from injury. Again, a pretty fair point.

Edit: Just read his follow-up article after the hundred and it was the most sycophantic thing I've read in some time. Seems like more of a flog after that one than after the critical one.
so Marsh stays in which means the batting line up stays the same?

Poor ol Maxwell!!

Really hope his ton in that test match is the start of him find some runs at test level. Maybe similar to Symonds scoring that ton in the boxing day test in 2006/7. He had a great couple of years of test cricket after that.

Yes, Symonds was arguably going worse than Marsh early on. That Boxing Day Test the Poms were calling him a professional fieldsman as he strode to the batting crease. Reckon his average was mid-teens after 11 Tests. After he played the last of his 26 Tests he finished with an average of 40.61. Had a great few years after that Boxing Day Test. Think the next 2 years he averaged 72.

Yes, Symonds was arguably going worse than Marsh early on. That Boxing Day Test the Poms were calling him a professional fieldsman as he strode to the batting crease. Reckon his average was mid-teens after 11 Tests. After he played the last of his 26 Tests he finished with an average of 40.61. Had a great few years after that Boxing Day Test. Think the next 2 years he averaged 72.

Quite right, mate. 314 runs @ 18.4 from 11 tests before that big Ashes ton. In that time he was also dismissed in single digits 7 times and made only two fifties. After that innings he scored 1,148 runs @ 60.42 including a further 8 fifties and 1 hundred. If Mitch Marsh can turn it around like that and keep working on his bowling he'll no doubt be the exact type of all-rounder you need to bat middle/lower order.

Quite right, mate. 314 runs @ 18.4 from 11 tests before that big Ashes ton. In that time he was also dismissed in single digits 7 times and made only two fifties. After that innings he scored 1,148 runs @ 60.42 including a further 8 fifties and 1 hundred. If Mitch Marsh can turn it around like that and keep working on his bowling he'll no doubt be the exact type of all-rounder you need to bat middle/lower order.

Unfortunately MMarsh can't field as well as Roy could ! ;)

Great innings, pedestrian bowler, s**t fieldsman. Wonder if he can score another 50 this series.
He's not bad in the field, but hasn't fielded much at 1st slip during his senior career so probably just taking some time to adjust.

Gotta give it to Mitch Marsh. Got his chance and absolutely taken it.

I'm not going to be jumping over the moon just yet because this English team is really dire..... But when a bloke gets a call up and gets 150+ in a winning Ashes test, you can't do anything be applaud him.

I've always said he has talent, but I believed he needed multiple seasons in the Shield to get himself together. The selectors gave him a few weeks.

Let's see how it goes from here. The entire top 7 (except Steve Smith) will still have a lot to prove come South Africa.

It was almost cathartic watching Mitch come out and obliterate the England bowlers and it certainly was for him.

His defensive technique is looking a lot more solid, and some of those straight drives were as good as it gets.

If he can do it in South Africa then we've finally found that genuine allrounder we've been looking for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back