Mitchell Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats are like miniskirts. They show you everything except the important part.

His record taking out that massive outlier at the WACA is nothing special.
His record in swinging conditions of NZ, Eng and SA are abysmal, and will be once more next Ashes (should they not dump his sorry arse)

Seems you will get a real kick out of telling everyone you were right if he continues to fail as he did the last 3 tests

He’s playing country cricket this year so is obviously keen to improve his game (skipping IPL too)

I’ve been one of his critics too, I didn’t want him picked for the Perth test, but I was wrong as he did very well the remainder of the series.

He’s failed the last 3 tests this series but so has everyone else, so signaling him out just makes it seem like you have an axe to grind and looking to be vindicated about what you thought of him previously.

You don’t get any prizes if you are right in the end, neither do I. He may fail, but on evidence we have i don’t know who else outside the team who should be in the team who is more likely to do better.

Missing the point entirely.
That was on the flattest road imaginable, the knock is the ability to score in hard conditions.

You know we're gonna have a tough time at Edgbaston, Headingly and Old Trafford next year right?
Now if we lose 3 tests that little urn goes *NTTAWWT*... Maybe we should put a line through guys that will liabilities. I know radical thoughts.

Who are these 6 mythical flawless batsmen we can pick to make sure we win the ashes?

Also the 96 in Durban was pretty tough wasn’t it?

The problem is there are gaping flaws in every single batsmen contending for a position in our top six.

We can't put a line through all of them. We still have to a field a team.

Seems you will get a real kick out of telling everyone you were right if he continues to fail as he did the last 3 tests

He’s playing country cricket this year so is obviously keen to improve his game (skipping IPL too)

I’ve been one of his critics too, I didn’t want him picked for the Perth test, but I was wrong as he did very well the remainder of the series.

He’s failed the last 3 tests this series but so has everyone else, so signaling him out just makes it seem like you have an axe to grind and looking to be vindicated about what you thought of him previously.

You don’t get any prizes if you are right in the end, neither do I. He may fail, but on evidence we have i don’t know who else outside the team who should be in the team who is more likely to do better.
Start a thread on them and I'll be happy to discuss them too.
I am being consistent however this isn't just some Marsh only crusade. I pay no attention to Warner or Khawaja scoring in Australia (Bradesmaen will tell you that) as it's bloody easy to score in Australia. I have knocked and queried them too for performances in adverse conditions namely in England, India or SA.
Who are these 6 mythical flawless batsmen we can pick to make sure we win the ashes?

Also the 96 in Durban was pretty tough wasn’t it?
Hence why I don't think he will be dropped. Do I need to sig it so people will not ignore it?
Just annoyed that so many are still looking to defend him as being good enough. That's patently false.

We don't have 6 batsmen and that's the problem but with him in the line up we will fail in England. It's a near certainty.

I am being consistent however this isn't just some Marsh only crusade. I pay no attention to Warner or Khawaja scoring in Australia (Bradesmaen will tell you that) as it's bloody easy to score in Australia. I have knocked and queried them too for performances in adverse conditions namely in England, India or SA.

Hence why I don't think he will be dropped. Do I need to sig it so people will not ignore it?
Just annoyed that so many are still looking to defend him as being good enough. That's patently false.

We don't have 6 batsmen and that's the problem but with him in the line up we will fail in England. It's a near certainty.

I wouldn’t judge him prior to this season with the bat to be honest.

He clearly has come back a better batsmen this summer than he was before. He got too many tests when she shouldn’t have prior to this summer.

I just think with the improvement he has shown he can continue that and we need to persist.

If he fails in our next few tests he will be dropped and I’d have no qualms with that.

What would be a pass mark for him to average in England?

If there aren't six players better than him, then he is good enough to be in the team. The problem, then, is that the team isn't good enough. So take it up with CA and quit the personal crusade against individual players.

I wouldn’t judge him prior to this season with the bat to be honest.

He clearly has come back a better batsmen this summer than he was before. He got too many tests when she shouldn’t have prior to this summer.

I just think with the improvement he has shown he can continue that and we need to persist.

If he fails in our next few tests he will be dropped and I’d have no qualms with that.

What would be a pass mark for him to average in England?
Who knows. I think many would be happy if players in our top 6 averaged 35? Anything more than that I think is unrealistic in England.
Starc is too erratic despite being a good exponent of swing bowling. There's a reason Broad, Anderson and Philander are more successful than him in favourable conditions. They keep a tight line and nibble it a little each way. Starc is all over the shop so I can see them scoring more easily than ours will so we can't be too outlandish with what's expected.
If there aren't six players better than him, then he is good enough to be in the team. The problem, then, is that the team isn't good enough. So take it up with CA and quit the personal crusade against individual players.
Why? Because you like one of them.
You must pay no attention whatsoever. Plenty have been wanting Sutherland and/or Howard out. I want both.

What's the point of having a thread about a certain player if you're not allowed to talk about that player? Or do just expect it to be rainbows and lollipops?

Who knows. I think many would be happy if players in our top 6 averaged 35? Anything more than that I think is unrealistic in England.
Starc is too erratic despite being a good exponent of swing bowling. There's a reason Broad, Anderson and Philander are more successful than him in favourable conditions. They keep a tight line and nibble it a little each way. Starc is all over the shop so I can see them scoring more easily than ours will so we can't be too outlandish with what's expected.

Why? Because you like one of them.
You must pay no attention whatsoever. Plenty have been wanting Sutherland and/or Howard out. I want both.

What's the point of having a thread about a certain player if you're not allowed to talk about that player? Or do just expect it to be rainbows and lollipops?
You know there's a middle ground between sunshine and lollipops and acting like he ran over your dog, right? I thought he should have been dropped long before he was and didn't think he had done enough to be selected against England. But he's done enough since and your criticisms are OTT.

You know there's a middle ground between sunshine and lollipops and acting like he ran over your dog, right? I thought he should have been dropped long before he was and didn't think he had done enough to be selected against England. But he's done enough since and your criticisms are OTT.
No he hasn't. He made runs on roads in Australia and made just one score in South Africa without even really bowling. He was bog ordinary and always has been, but has the Golden Ticket.

One thing people seem to ignore is that if marsh did go he would be replaced by some half arsed allrounder like stoinis or henriques.

I hate our allrounder obsession but if we play one might as well play one who has actually made test runs this last year.

The selectors are still haunted by the ghost of 05 flintoff.

We don't need a ******* all rounder. Whats the point when you don't bowl them anyway??

6 best batsmen + wk + 4 bowlers

One of the batsmen can roll the arm over for a few overs if need be, and usually at least one of the bowlers knows which end of a bat to hold

The selectors are still haunted by the ghost of 05 flintoff.

We don't need a ******* all rounder. Whats the point when you don't bowl them anyway??

6 best batsmen + wk + 4 bowlers

One of the batsmen can roll the arm over for a few overs if need be, and usually at least one of the bowlers knows which end of a bat to hold

But how valuable would it be if one of those bats could average 30 with the ball and one of the bowlers 30 with the bat? That’s why they keep looking, if you’re in the top 6 you need to average 40+, I’m not convinced MM will do this over his career.

But how valuable would it be if one of those bats could average 30 with the ball and one of the bowlers 30 with the bat? That’s why they keep looking, if you’re in the top 6 you need to average 40+, I’m not convinced MM will do this over his career.
How about waiting until said player averages 40 with the bat at first class level? Not 30..

Marsh batting at 6 is just indicative of how thin our batting stocks are

While he bats at 6 our batting will be hit and miss and vulnerable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about waiting until said player averages 40 with the bat at first class level? Not 30..

It would be ideal but I guess they see potential with MM as an all rounder and are hoping he’ll come good at the highest level. I think Bailey got in the team with an average of 30 or so as a pure batsman, unfortunately there’s not many high averages in the Shield.

It would be ideal but I guess they see potential with MM as an all rounder and are hoping he’ll come good at the highest level. I think Bailey got in the team with an average of 30 or so as a pure batsman, unfortunately there’s not many high averages in the Shield.
Bailey was in form when he got picked. Marsh was based on potential and it is still unfulfilled and probably never will be.

Bailey was in form when he got picked. Marsh was based on potential and it is still unfulfilled and probably never will be.

I think he'd made some runs with the white ball, not sure he had any good form with the red from memory though, so I think his selection was based on potential as well. I'm agreeing with you on Marsh btw.

It's a shame Hilton Cartwright isn't a genuine bowling option, as a bat he can justify a spot in the top 6 but his bowling is genuinely pedestrian, barely a part timer. Still he probably makes more sense than MM at 6.

I personally think he's improved various parts of his game both mentally and technically and deserves some leeway. The frustration with both the Marsh's really is they have been given 30+ tests to display concerning inconsistency that isn't afforded to others and are recalled quicker than Johnson and Johnson's Tylenol

Stats are like miniskirts. They show you everything except the important part.

His record taking out that massive outlier at the WACA is nothing special.
His record in swinging conditions of NZ, Eng and SA are abysmal, and will be once more next Ashes (should they not dump his sorry arse)
if you are going to use my lines get it right;
'stats are like mini-skirts, they show a lot but hide all the really good bits.'
mitch marsh isn't going anywhere. shaun may be in danger with age and a changing of the guard. I hope not and rate him as our best bat in the absence of smith.
we have depth to cover these three outs with a potent bowling attack. the poms will be shaking in their boots. and the indians....garbage.

if you are going to use my lines get it right;
'stats are like mini-skirts, they show a lot but hide all the really good bits.'
mitch marsh isn't going anywhere. shaun may be in danger with age and a changing of the guard. I hope not and rate him as our best bat in the absence of smith.
we have depth to cover these three outs with a potent bowling attack. the poms will be shaking in their boots. and the indians....garbage.
lol precious much. There’s a few iterations of the same quote.
Hardly yours :p

No he hasn't. He made runs on roads in Australia and made just one score in South Africa without even really bowling. He was bog ordinary and always has been, but has the Golden Ticket.
He scored a 96, a 45 and was the third (I think) highest run scorer. Your problem is with the thin nature of Australia's batting stocks. There are other players in worse form than him and no one knocking down the door regardless.

Gero is the most fantastically biased sports supporter I've ever seen. Flat out embarrassing.

Gero is the most fantastically biased sports supporter I've ever seen. Flat out embarrassing.
Not enough Hastings or McGain references. You’re slipping.
What’s biased exactly? Have strafed a few for not being good enough, from more than 1 state...

You’re only taking exception as it’s the golden boy.

WA supporters

Marsh's perform well: They're so good, everyone was wrong to criticise them and their selection.

Marsh's perform poorly: Yeah but everyone's inconsistent.

Not enough Hastings or McGain references. You’re slipping.
What’s biased exactly? Have strafed a few for not being good enough, from more than 1 state...

You’re only taking exception as it’s the golden boy.
Any player that hasn't put on a shirt for the Bushrangers you are the quickest to criticise.

Any player that hasn't put on a shirt for the Bushrangers you are the quickest to criticise.
Nonsense.

Had no qualms with Handscomb being dropped and conceded Wade didn’t score enough, only that Nevill wasn’t the solution.

Get your head outta your arse and pay attention for once :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back