Mitchell Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, I woke upon the couch to a piss-taking youtube autoplay showing Boxing Day from the 10/11 Ashes, when England incredibly led by 59 runs at stumps with all 10 wickets in hand.

Towards the end of that day's play, Steve Smith bowled a few overs, with a typical assortment of deliveries- a couple of long-hops, a couple of ripped leggies and some wide ones that were left alone. The discussion about his role as a spinning all-rounder was interesting, as his bowling developing with experience was a big part of it.

I wonder if he didn't return to the captaincy, if he could re-visit his bowling a little? With a little more work, across a 10-over sample, I'd back him to generate more chances than Mitch Marsh, ie take more wickets. Yes, he'd go for more runs per over (though I'd hardly call MM's 3.4 rpo career average economical), but it wouldn't matter as much if it got more wickets.

All tailenders are expected to work on their batting more than ever before, so it shouldn't be much to ask a couple of the batsman with a little more bowling know-how to chip in with a few overs and allow a genuine top 6 to play.

The only time Marsh was actually doing enough to stay in the side was when he scored big scores on flat wickets when the side declared for 650 runs each time.

Yes it is correct that for a brief moment Marsh got his average up to 30 after those knocks, but don't forget Watson had an average of over 40 at one stage during his career to. I think we can all agree that would never happen with Marsh.

You are also leaving out the bowling stats

Watson: 75 wickets at 33 with three 5 wicket hauls

Marsh: 34 wickets at 43 with no 5 wicket hauls

Marsh could easily average 40+ from here, he hasn't batted that many innings. Form to date suggests he will not. My point is that he was averaging 31 a handful of tests ago and 25 now. Averages change quickly when it's early days and you make a couple of scores. He made 96 in South Africa, 87 in the UAE and a few handy 40s and 50s. Only his two 100s came in Australia, his next 5 highest scores were overseas. I think people see what they want to see really. He's not a Handscomb or Bancroft who started their careers with 4 or 5 tests on home soil.

Watson was excellent when first used as an opener. Was consistently occupying the strike and scoring 50s, and the fact he bowled was a bonus. But just like his batting he declined from his peak. 18 wickets @ ~50 in his last 4 years. If Watson was performing in his last few years then maybe the selectors wouldn't have rushed Marsh in and instead made him prove himself at Shield level.

Marsh could easily average 40+ from here, he hasn't batted that many innings. Form to date suggests he will not. My point is that he was averaging 31 a handful of tests ago and 25 now. Averages change quickly when it's early days and you make a couple of scores. He made 96 in South Africa, 87 in the UAE and a few handy 40s and 50s. Only his two 100s came in Australia, his next 5 highest scores were overseas. I think people see what they want to see really. He's not a Handscomb or Bancroft who started their careers with 4 or 5 tests on home soil.

Watson was excellent when first used as an opener. Was consistently occupying the strike and scoring 50s, and the fact he bowled was a bonus. But just like his batting he declined from his peak. 18 wickets @ ~50 in his last 4 years. If Watson was performing in his last few years then maybe the selectors wouldn't have rushed Marsh in and instead made him prove himself at Shield level.
It's really not early days like yoy suggeat. Averages change very quickly when you have a run of form like he had. He had 10 innings of 16 or under in a row. Of course his average would drop dramatically.

Mitch has had 52 innings now, not a handful, for him to end up with an average similar to Watson's at the same amount of innings he'd have to average around 45 from now on. I'd be very surprised if that were to happen.

Yes Watson's declined as he went on, mostly due to injuries though. Marsh will never never get close to Watson's bowling at his peak.

It's really not early days like yoy suggeat. Averages change very quickly when you have a run of form like he had. He had 10 innings of 16 or under in a row. Of course his average would drop dramatically.

Mitch has had 52 innings now, not a handful, for him to end up with an average similar to Watson's at the same amount of innings he'd have to average around 45 from now on. I'd be very surprised if that were to happen.

Yes Watson's declined as he went on, mostly due to injuries though. Marsh will never never get close to Watson's bowling at his peak.

Just calculated, if Mitch Marsh averaged 60 over his next 20 innings, that would only lift his career average to 35. That’s how far away he is. His 31 tests is more than Renshaw, Harris, finch and Handscomb combined.

Not saying he should never play again regardless but he’s got to be banging the door down to get in, otherwise what is the point.

I don’t get picking an all rounder when there isn’t one of sufficient caliber available

His 96 against SA gave me hope that he could contribute in tough conditions, but since then there's been very little to note.

Another of the great disappointments of 2018.

His confidence is also clearly at a low so even though I can sort of understand why he was brought back (his extra overs did help ease the workload on our frontline quicks), with hindsight we should have just had Wade/Head throw a few down because from what I've seen Wade can at least bowl wicket-to-wicket.

1. You obviously never visited a Collingwood forum in the last 20 years and seen their opinion of anyone with the last name Cloke...

2. Would a player named Smith or Jones have played 31 tests in the top 6 averaging just 26?

So you think he gets advantages because of his surname?

Okay then, so, by your reasoning, even if he made 100s in both innings of the next two Tests, you will still say he is only getting games because of nepotism.

Maybe he should change his surname by deed poll, so you can all leave him alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, the hypocrisy!

A lot of you are condemning the Marshes for being gifted games because of who they are related to.

Yet, a lot of you get wet when your AFL team picks the son of a Legend, and even if he doesn't play well, you still want him to be selected, and are upset if your club doesn't bid a draft pick to pick up a F-S.

Oh, the hypocrisy!

A lot of you are condemning the Marshes for being gifted games because of who they are related to.

Yet, a lot of you get wet when your AFL team picks the son of a Legend, and even if he doesn't play well, you still want him to be selected, and are upset if your club doesn't bid a draft pick to pick up a F-S.
Geoff Marsh is no Gary Ablett though...

His 96 against SA gave me hope that he could contribute in tough conditions, but since then there's been very little to note.

Another of the great disappointments of 2018.

His confidence is also clearly at a low so even though I can sort of understand why he was brought back (his extra overs did help ease the workload on our frontline quicks), with hindsight we should have just had Wade/Head throw a few down because from what I've seen Wade can at least bowl wicket-to-wicket.

Yup agree I think his test career is over its a shame because he is talented

I cannot see him getting back into the test arena

Yup agree I think his test career is over its a shame because he is talented

I cannot see him getting back into the test arena

The horrific thing is it probably isn’t over as the selectors are still searching for this so called all rounder.

I hope we don’t see him in a test side

The horrific thing is it probably isn’t over as the selectors are still searching for this so called all rounder.

I hope we don’t see him in a test side

Yeah ...it should be I hope he goes back to shield cricket scores runs takes wickets..makes Australia domestic shield stronger and gives him a chance for the test team.. This is what you also want with all players that get dropped not only M Marsh

I kind of hope he has an average second half of the Shield so he doesn't come into the Ashes frame. Let him play County cricket and he can be an emergency in case we get a couple of injuries.

Half a Shield season 18/19, then 2019 County season, then 19/20 Shield season (broken in half by ODIs/BBL again) and we can reassess how he's travelling.

So you think he gets advantages because of his surname?

Okay then, so, by your reasoning, even if he made 100s in both innings of the next two Tests, you will still say he is only getting games because of nepotism.

Maybe he should change his surname by deed poll, so you can all leave him alone.
Yea he should change it to mersh and shave his head and put some glasses on. No one will know the difference

Yeah ...it should be I hope he goes back to shield cricket scores runs takes wickets..makes Australia domestic shield stronger and gives him a chance for the test team.. This is what you also want with all players that get dropped not only M Marsh

Well in theory hope he gets back because he would have the form to back it up if he was selected again.

But because we have a lack of outstanding candidates we seem to go for speculative silver bullet style selections rather than simply picking the best and most in form team.

So he is as likely to be picked again out of form or in form.

We all thought this thread could die a happy death, along with his test career but no, he's fluked a Michelle.

giphy.gif

He still looks a number 7 or 8 with the bat so unless he is playing as the third quick and batting further down it's just hard to see his long term role.
Somebody on here said about six years ago that if he focussed predominantly on his bowling for eighteen months, he could become a frontline test bowler. They got laughed at, at the time but I think they were bang on. Marsh gets the basics of bowling very well and has a beautiful action. He's more than just a part-timer, he's very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back