MLB 2018/19 Off season

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina and Mariano Rivera elected to the Hall of Fame.

What a great HOF class. Mariano Rivera has become the first player to be elected in unanimously. I never thought I would see the day when this happened. Plenty of players deserve 100% of the vote (Rivera included) but there is always one or 2 voters who vote just to be different

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
jeter won't get that next year. i'm surprised Schilling still hasn't gotten in yet, big mac, Clemmens and bonds won't ever get in by the looks of it. even though bonds would get in without the steroid period

Bonds is a HOF’er for everything he did in the first half of his career alone, before he started using steroids. But PEDs are PEDs regardless, so he won’t be getting in.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought the braves may have gone a little harder on some free agents but have settled their line-up for now signing Markakis for 2019. Still got some room to spend according to sources so will likely see some movement later in the year if competitive again. Still a plethora of young arms to trade if they want to make a mid-season trade

As an A's fan, I'm unsurprised but still very disappointed that Murray saw fit to break a contract he signed with the A's. The A's bent over backwards to accommodate him and his snake oil salesman Scott Boras at every turn. The only silver lining is that he didn't do it during training camp.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well a few days before pitchers and catchers report to spring training and best two free agents still there on the shelf.
Amazing but things have definetly changed on the free agent front. Club's reluctant to sign as big contracts as the players want. They will sign for a big club for big bucks but not the long years the player wants

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Amazing but things have definetly changed on the free agent front. Club's reluctant to sign as big contracts as the players want. They will sign for a big club for big bucks but not the long years the player wants

Yeah certainly. Good article here on how some players now signing 4-5 year extensions to cover their arbitration years and first yet or two of free agency to lock in guaranteed money. Plus also to cover for ever more likely players strike at next bargaining agreement after 2021 season.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/15/new-york-yankees-luis-severino-contract-extension

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Considering Judge gets on base at .400 clip you can understand why Boone would be tempted to hit him lead off. His power numbers won't be affected batting lead off, just silly counting stats like runs and ribbies.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
As a Padres fan of about 12 years this is the type of deal that has never seemed possible for all the time I've been following them. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

They tried to spend big bucks a few years ago on Kimbrel, J Upton, Kemp etc in 2015 and then bottomed out again. Don't see them ever being a big fish team.

Talk that Harper has knocked back a few $300m+ offers. He’s an LH outfielder.

So in his last two seasons wher he’s playerd more than 120 games he had 1.5 WAR last season and 1.7 WAR two seasons prior to that.

I’d be surprised (sort of) if he gets $350m+

Special Agent Utah

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls/Bears Texas Rangers
Talk that Harper has knocked back a few $300m+ offers. He’s an LH outfielder.

So in his last two seasons wher he’s playerd more than 120 games he had 1.5 WAR last season and 1.7 WAR two seasons prior to that.

I’d be surprised (sort of) if he gets $350m+

Waiting to see what Machado got, I reckon he’s waiting to see if any other clubs will be late price risers like the cubs

Jul 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phillies
Machado to the Padres is now official, Padres have now confirmed on all social media platforms.

TheGreatBarryB Harper will get more then Manny as he is a more marketable star and has built his own brand. He's 26 and not yet in the prime of his career, already won an MVP and hit just shy of 200 HRs. Sure he's had 2 average seasons but might need a change in scenery to reignite that flame. $350m+ is probably the max he would receive, but I think he keeps knocking back these offers cause he wants to be a Yankee.

In the end he will probably end up signing with the Phillies as I think Rhys Hoskins has been in his ear for a long time, if the Yankees are indeed out...but with Cashman you never really know (ala Stanton, who thought he would've ended up in the Bronx?)

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Getting stronger that harper will take a short deal. Phillies are a lot less confident.

Kimbrel still unsigned. Reckon he will sign a 1 or 2 year deal, and I'm hoping the braves.

NE, especially if harper does sign with Phillies is looking a competitive division

Back