Mega Thread MLB 2019 season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Home runs and big hits are exciting and al, but give me great defence any day. Rocket arms from the outfield to get runner out at home, or players like Andrelton Simmons at SS, could watch their highlights all day

I love watching a outfielder hose down the runner at home or a SS jump and throw deep in the hole, it can pump up a team more than a homerun sometimes

Ramon Laureano throwing out Xander Bogaerts at third base. Probably silly of Bogaerts to try for the triple (especially as Laureano threw out Bogaerts trying to score from second base the previous day and especially as the Red Sox trail 1-0 in the top of the ninth and could have taken the lead had Bogaerts stopped at second base and allowed Mitch Moreland, who was up next, to take his cuts). What a cannon Laureano has.

Yeah you know it's pretty good when they've changed their team twitter name to Ramon Laureano's arm

Home runs and big hits are exciting and al, but give me great defence any day. Rocket arms from the outfield to get runner out at home, or players like Andrelton Simmons at SS, could watch their highlights all day
Kevin Pillar from the Blue Jays and now Giants is another case in point. He's a solid .260ish hitter, but he'll get more cheers for those catches he makes than he has for all of his 55 home runs.

I loved this video MLB put up the other day on him.

And look, I get the whole "it's a marathon not a sprint" thing. But you only have to look at the end of last year to see the difference between playing in the post-season and not, can be losing one or two games against weak opposition. Sure, the Red Sox will come good, as will the Yankees. But every one in that division is going to play the Orioles a lot this year, and those are the games that can take you from an 85-win team to a 100-win team, effectively, if you take that chance.
The standings are pretty much flipped upside down in every division atm lol

The standings are pretty much flipped upside down in every division atm lol
I dunno, that seems a bit of an exaggeration. The Brewers in the National Central, the Dodgers in the National West. Even the Phillies have a fair case, given their off-season inclusions. It's the American League that's a bit surprising so far.

Angels are a really bad them, they're just lucky to have Trout (they'd be pretty close to the worst without him) and no Upton means no protection for him at all.

You're not wrong though. Ugh, I watched them this arvo against Texas. Putrid. Just didn't seem to care at all, and that's in front of their home crowd.

On the Mariners start, its down to the hot start from the offence and some of the guys we traded in with an eye to flip around the deadline and the luxury of running our number 1 starter three times already. We knew this team was going to mash, but as our only loss showed the bullpen will be our downfall as the year goes on and then we'll give up plenty of runs via errors (already have).

We'll be fun to watch until the deadline when we stock our farm system with 4 or 5 trades

On the Mariners start, its down to the hot start from the offence and some of the guys we traded in with an eye to flip around the deadline and the luxury of running our number 1 starter three times already. We knew this team was going to mash, but as our only loss showed the bullpen will be our downfall as the year goes on and then we'll give up plenty of runs via errors (already have).

We'll be fun to watch until the deadline when we stock our farm system with 4 or 5 trades
The White Sox aren't exactly world beaters, but still, I thought the Mariners looked pretty good today in the middle innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opening Day at Wrigley Field and a win. Nice to be home. I remember that Opening Day 2003 against the Expos was snowed out, so I was able to get a ticket for the next day's actual opening day. I never would have imagined that day how the season would end. What an exciting summer it was, one I'll always remember. It's too bad that Game 7 of the NLCS ended like the PF of 1997. :'(

They just keep winning. 10-2. How much longer do you think they can keep this form up? You can keep smacking the Royals in this series, for sure. But then Houston and Cleveland? Granted, those two series are at home, and neither side has been entirely convincing so far this year (though they seem to finding their stride now) . But winning both of those series would certainly be a strong statement.

They just keep winning. 10-2. How much longer do you think they can keep this form up? You can keep smacking the Royals in this series, for sure. But then Houston and Cleveland? Granted, those two series are at home, and neither side has been entirely convincing so far this year (though they seem to finding their stride now) . But winning both of those series would certainly be a strong statement.
Mariners did well the first half of last season with a more talented group, the pitching is just a bunch of no names who the opposition will eventually work out.

deGromms quality start streak is over, Twins going to challenge for the terrible AL Central crown imo

Mariners did well the first half of last season with a more talented group, the pitching is just a bunch of no names who the opposition will eventually work out.
Yep, their offense is going great, but as you said, the bullpen looks pretty shaky.

Say, thoughts on the Tigers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back