MLB 2022-2023 hot stove

Remove this Banner Ad

Padres, Twins and Guardians among teams interested in free agent catcher Christian Vazquez, according to Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic. Rosenthal also adds the Cubs, Cardinals and the Astros into the mix.

Although the Padres already have Austin Nola and Luis Campusano on their roster, there is a line of thought that, by adding Vazquez to the roster, the Padres could trade one of the two catchers to upgrade other areas of the team. Nola, who turns 33 this month, was acquired by the Padres from Seattle as part of a trade that sent Ty France, Taylor Trammell and Andres Munoz to the Mariners. Nola's production with the bat dropped off after the trade, batting .254/.327/.348 in 665 plate appearances with San Diego, while Vazquez has hit .274/.315/.399 with the Red Sox and Astros. Campusano has been a highly rated prospect at Triple-A level, but has played only 28 games in the major leagues for the Padres. Were the Padres to sign Vazquez, they'd likely move Campusano, as he has six years of team control left, while Nola has three seasons of arbitration eligibility.

In the meantime, the Guardians could see Vazquez as an alternative to having to trade for A's catcher, Sean Murphy. Vazquez hasn't been as productive with the bat as Murphy, but he wouldn't cost the Guardians any prospects and would offer an upgrade on Bryan Lavastida and Bo Naylor on the Guardians roster.

As for Vazquez, after being traded to the Astros by the Red Sox by the mid-season trade deadline, he is looking for a club that will offer him primary responsibility as a catcher, since he mainly spent his time with the Astros as back-up catcher to Martin Maldonaldo and DH. This would seem to reduce the likelihood that the Astros re-sign Vazquez, as Maldonaldo is under contract for 2023, and the Astros do not seem ready to relegate Maldonaldo to backup catcher duties due to his relationship with many of the pitchers in Houston, notwithstanding his poor production with the bat.

Jon Morosi of the MLB Network reports that it is believed by some insiders that Aaron Judge already has a nine-year contract offer on the table. I was listening to a podcast yesterday and it was suggested on the podcast that Judge may not sign until closer to Christmas, as he's waiting on the Giants to sign other free agents to build a team capable of reaching the playoffs rather than merely signing Judge as their only free agent. It seems that the Yankees are in the box seat to re-sign Judge, since they have already demonstrated that they have a team capable of reaching the playoffs (only to be comprehensively beaten by the Astros).

The Blue Jays have been looking to fortify their rotation and have made an offer to LHP Andrew Heaney, but the Blue Jays are one of ten teams to have interest in him.

Morosi also reports that the Blue Jays are a team to watch in the Bryan Reynolds market, as they have interest in him and wish to add an athletic switch hitter to their lineup (and previously it's been suggested that the Blue Jays want to move George Springer to a corner outfield position, most likely right field, in order to extend his longevity). I mean, who wouldn't want to add a player like Bryan Reynolds to their team?

Despite having already signed Justin Verlander, the Mets are still showing interest in Japanese pitcher, Kodai Senga.

The MLB will hold its first ever draft lottery tomorrow. The Nationals, Athletics and Pirates have equal best odds to land the no. 1 pick, with 16.5% each, with the Reds (13.2%) and Royals (10.0%) next. All non-playoff teams are in the lottery. I understand that the lowest pick the A's can get is eighth overall.

The Hall of Fame Oversight Committee voted Fred McGriff into the hall of fame before the Winter Meetings kicked off. Here's a vote breakdown:

The Hall of Fame Oversight Committee voted Fred McGriff into the hall of fame before the Winter Meetings kicked off. Here's a vote breakdown:

was hoping Donnie would get in, was my favourite player when i was younger

It’s kind of ironic that players like Bonds and Clemens gave up their integrity and certain HOF selection all for the spotlight and to be offered more money on their next contracts, yet they live like Kings. What a shame.

HOF is a joke anyways especially if they let david ortiz in and not bonds and clements.
Plus if vote selig who oversaw steroid era in you have to vote everyone else in.

HOF is a joke anyways especially if they let david ortiz in and not bonds and clements.
Plus if vote selig who oversaw steroid era in you have to vote everyone else in.
i dont know what the love affair with Ortiz was, he tested positive like Bonds and Clemens, but isnt a pariah like the other 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont know what the love affair with Ortiz was, he tested positive like Bonds and Clemens, but isnt a pariah like the other 2

Media liked him never really liked bonds or Clements cos they could both be difficult only reason I can see

Reportedly, Bellinger has agreed a deal with the Cubs. Passan had tweeted that it was for one year, worth $17.5 million, but then deleted his tweet.

No, wait, Passan has tweeted it again just in the last minute.

In addition to signing Jace Peterson to a two year contract, the Oakland Athletics have acquired RHP Chad Smith from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for minor league RHP Jeff Criswell. World Series, baby!

Reportedly, Bellinger has agreed a deal with the Cubs. Passan had tweeted that it was for one year, worth $17.5 million, but then deleted his tweet.

No, wait, Passan has tweeted it again just in the last minute.

Spelt Carlos Correa incorrectly.

Who, I have, always loved. Never trashed his good name. Not even once.

The Texas Rangers have come to terms with free agent LHP Andrew Heaney on a two year, $25 million deal with incentives that could boost the pay to $37 million. Heaney turns 32 in June 2023, and most recently pitched for the Dodgers.

With regard to Bellinger, the Cubs have signed him to a one year deal with $12 million in base salary and a $5.5 million buyout on a mutual option for 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back