Summer MMA athlete living in Rio for 12 months kidnapped in Rio: ‘This place is f****d’

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic...o/news-story/01b37f4d55f949be2fbac5cb10f6a79d

A NEW ZEALAND athlete says he was kidnapped and forced to withdraw cash from ATMs by armed men dressed in police uniforms in Rio de Janeiro.

Jiu-Jitsu athlete Jason Lee, who has lived in Brazil for 12 months described it as the worts experience he had had in the city and the first time he had feared for his life.

“I don’t think I’ve ever felt like I could possibly die,” he told Stuff.co.nz

“These guys have pulled me over, they have weapons. I’m not in any position to negotiate.

“First he asked me stretch my arms, then patted me down. He grabbed my genital area, which was quite a surprise.”

GUTLESS: IOC has totally failed

ESCAPED: Russia avoid blanket ban for Rio

“At this point it still looked reasonably professional.”

Lee said he was told to pay 2000 Brazilian Reals ($AU 820) or risk being arrested.

Earlier, Lee had taken to social media to confirm the news.

“What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016,” he tweeted.

Follow
Jason Lee @jasonleejitsu

What did you guys get up to yesterday?
I got kidnapped. Go Olympics!#Rio2016

4:53 AM - 25 Jul 2016 · Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Brazil

In a more detailed post on his Facebook page, Lee claims the men threatened to apprehend him if he did not meet his demands for “a large sum of money.

“I’m not sure what’s more depressing, the fact this stuff is happening to foreigners so close to the Olympic Games or the fact that Brazilians have to live in a society that enables this absolute bullshit on a daily basis,” he wrote.

“I was threatened with arrest if I did not get in their private car and accompany them to two ATMs to withdraw a large sum of money for a bribe.

“This place is well and truly f***ked in every sense of the word imaginable.”

Lee’s partner, New Zealand journalist Laura McQuillian, later tweeted: “Boyfriend was accosted by Policia Militar cops who drove him to two ATMs and forced him to withdraw cas #roadtoRio.

Probably going to be the worst Olympics ever!
Worse than 1904 when Chicago were awarded the games, but President Teddy Roosevelt changed them to St Louis because they had the World's Fair on there and only a dozen nations showed up? Or Berlin 1936 Nazi Germany running an efficient Olympics but stopping people of certain races attending and getting everyone to salute Hitler ? Or Mexico 1968 when Mexican army shot around 300 students protesting about 10 days before the Games because they didn't want the world to see people protesting? Plus it was the first Games at altitude and endurance sports/events the athletes health was put at risk including Ron Clarke who had dominated long distance running for 5 years but ran out of oxygen, staggered over the line, collapsed and did damage to his heart that lasted until he died. Or Munich 1972 when 11 Israeli athletes were assassinated? Or Montreal 1976 where there were boycotts by African teams and it was so poorly organised and financed that the citizens of Montreal and Quebec had 30 years of debts to pay off and the main stadium retractable roof didn't work and it became a white elephant? Or Moscow 1980 when about 70 nations didn't turn up and the Soviets did everything to make sure the Iron bloc won everything over the few western nations that turned up and Soviet athletes beat the other communist nations. How about 456 BC?? ;)

Give me a break, Rio wont even get *en close to the worst games ever!

Worse than 1904 when Chicago were awarded the games, but President Teddy Roosevelt changed them to St Louis because they had the World's Fair on there and only a dozen nations showed up? Or Berlin 1936 Nazi Germany running an efficient Olympics but stopping people of certain races attending and getting everyone to salute Hitler ? Or Mexico 1968 when Mexican army shot around 300 students protesting about 10 days before the Games because they didn't want the world to see people protesting? Plus it was the first Games at altitude and endurance sports/events the athletes health was put at risk including Ron Clarke who had dominated long distance running for 5 years but ran out of oxygen, staggered over the line, collapsed and did damage to his heart that lasted until he died. Or Munich 1972 when 11 Israeli athletes were assassinated? Or Montreal 1976 where there were boycotts by African teams and it was so poorly organised and financed that the citizens of Montreal and Quebec had 30 years of debts to pay off and the main stadium retractable roof didn't work and it became a white elephant? Or Moscow 1980 when about 70 nations didn't turn up and the Soviets did everything to make sure the Iron bloc won everything over the few western nations that turned up and Soviet athletes beat the other communist nations. How about 456 BC?? ;)

Give me a break, Rio wont even get ****en close to the worst games ever!

Yep, you're right. You know you fair share about the Olympics compared to me

Yep, you're right. You know you fair share about the Olympics compared to me
Since 1984 when the Yanks showed the world how to run the games well, use a lot of existing infrastructure and make a profit the games have been realively safe and well run so if your memory or readings only go back to 1984 then you may well rank Rio at the bottom of games in the period since 1984.

BUT and there is always a but, Roy and HG didn't call Atlanta The Toilet for no reason. :p

Give me a break, Rio wont even get ****en close to the worst games ever!
Nek minnut

The awarding of the Games does have a lot to do with money and influence and corr* ahem benevolence. But when looking at the competing cities its an easy argument to make for Rio

From wiki

The bidding process for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games was officially launched on 16 May 2007.[3] The first step for each city was to submit an initial application to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by 13 September 2007, confirming their intention to bid. Completed official bid files, containing answers to a 25-question IOC form, were to be submitted by each applicant city by 14 January 2008. Four candidate cities were chosen for the shortlist on 4 June 2008: Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo (which hosted the 1964 Summer Olympics and will host again in 2020). The IOC did not promote Doha to the Candidature phase, despite scoring higher than selected candidate city Rio de Janeiro, due to their intent of hosting the Olympics in October, outside of the IOC's sporting calendar. Prague and Baku also failed to make the cut.[4]

Chicago safe? Plus Atlanta 96 too close
Madrid ETA would have made noise + Barcelona 92
Tokyo a possibility so much so they have 2020

But a Southern Hemisphere city plus the allure of Rio the Golden City would have been too hard to let go. There is a social side to the Olympics. A small small small part of it would have been a hope that there would have been refreshment of the favelas. Unfortunately the host city trampled over those it was meant to help

Safe? Corruption is everywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though the vote didn't end up between the two it was really down to Rio and Chicago as Madrid would of meant back to back to back Olympics in Europe and Tokyo's bid process ran during Beijing so would of (and was) safer 4 year later.

The awarding of the Games does have a lot to do with money and influence and corr* ahem benevolence. But when looking at the competing cities its an easy argument to make for Rio

From wiki

The bidding process for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games was officially launched on 16 May 2007.[3] The first step for each city was to submit an initial application to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by 13 September 2007, confirming their intention to bid. Completed official bid files, containing answers to a 25-question IOC form, were to be submitted by each applicant city by 14 January 2008. Four candidate cities were chosen for the shortlist on 4 June 2008: Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo (which hosted the 1964 Summer Olympics and will host again in 2020). The IOC did not promote Doha to the Candidature phase, despite scoring higher than selected candidate city Rio de Janeiro, due to their intent of hosting the Olympics in October, outside of the IOC's sporting calendar. Prague and Baku also failed to make the cut.[4]

Chicago safe? Plus Atlanta 96 too close
Madrid ETA would have made noise + Barcelona 92
Tokyo a possibility so much so they have 2020

But a Southern Hemisphere city plus the allure of Rio the Golden City would have been too hard to let go. There is a social side to the Olympics. A small small small part of it would have been a hope that there would have been refreshment of the favelas. Unfortunately the host city trampled over those it was meant to help

Safe? Corruption is everywhere

In September 2009 when the vote was taken to award the games, Brazil was booming and along with China, were the only 2 BRICS countries that had ridden out the Global Financial Crisis, as well as Oz and Canada, were doing better than Spain which had 25% unemployment, Japan's economy apart from 4 or 5 years added up over 2 periods has basically been in stagnation since it peaked in December 1989, the USA economy was in the toilet and the USOC hadn't sign the revenue sharing agreement with the IOC about the NBC TV monies and the 10 x TOP (The Olympic Program) world wide sponsors which I think at the time 8 of the 10 were USA based businesses and the USOC brought to the IOC in the late 1980's and early 1990's, so IOC members, especially Europeans, didn't vote for the US bid because they didn't want to give them any more free kicks. That signing of revenue sharing agreement happened in 2012 and that's why LA is in play big time for 2024. I explained that deal on page 2 of the 2024 Bid and Games talk thread.

Plus Brazil's President Lula was the most popular democratically elected leader in the world with approval ratings over at least 75% for almost 3 years when the vote was taken. Plus Brazil had the World Cup in 2014 and a s**t load of monies had been committed not only to stadium infrastructure but airports, trains, road, hotels etc infrastructure both in Rio and around Brazil so it was almost a no brainer. I watched all the final pitches on Sky News on one of their 8 interactive channel and Brazil was the only one that had the Governor of their Central Bank make a speech explaining the miracle of the Brazilian economy over the previous decade.

Even though the vote didn't end up between the two it was really down to Rio and Chicago as Madrid would of meant back to back to back Olympics in Europe and Tokyo's bid process ran during Beijing so would of (and was) safer 4 year later.
It ended up being a vote between Rio and Madrid, for the reasons in my last post including the revenue sharing dispute, which is why Chicago got the least votes in the first round. The cities with no votes made bids but were cut by the technical committee and didn't make it to the final vote.

http://gamesbids.com/eng/past-bid-results/

upload_2016-7-26_21-9-4.png

A just boycott.
Why? NZ played South Africa in Rugby. Rugby had nothing to do with the Olympics. No Olympic team sports played against South Africa and no South African's were allowed to participate in the games. So a whole lot of African countries said if you don't ban NZ then we aren't coming. The NZ athletes had nothing to do with the NZ Rugby board's decision to let the All Blacks play the Springboks.

The Canadians and world were robbed of seeing great athletes, and those great athletes, particularly in track and field, were robbed of medals. Sports bans did SFA for changing the National Party politicians and South African ministers and prime ministers of attitude towards apartheid. It was the economic and in particular banking sanctions of the mid 1980's that forced the apartheid regime to change by 1990 and let Mandela out of jail and eventually abolish apartheid. If the world's banking system wont let you move money in and out of the country then your are ****ed in the long run.

Sports people - South Africans, Africans and those around the world bared the unfair brunt of trying to do something, which was symbolic, but in a practical sense, useless. Now those who took blood money - well that's another story!

Maybe we should ban the games from Adelaide as well

AN ELDERLY woman has lost her money after being tricked by scammers who pretended to be a police officer, bank security and a retail outlet.

The woman, from the eastern suburbs, was told that someone had tried to access her account between July 12 to 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back