MMA-Other MMA Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool idea for a thread and it was fun to have a go at answering the questions. :thumbsu:

I've got some ideas about how it could be better if done again.

I got in first and answered a bunch of the questions and afterwards I realised that it obviously made it less interesting for everyone else. What could be done is we all have a go at answering them and put our answers down. After a week or two or whatever, the poster asking the questions gets back to us on how we did. We could put our answers in the spoiler tags so no one else can see our answers.

I like the idea of spoiler tags so everyone can have a chance to answer. :thumbsu:

I've come up with another five questions for round two so far. Hoping to come up with at least another five before posting them. I'll tag everyone who had a go in the last round when they are up.

Last edited:

Alright, here are the questions for round 2. Turns out I managed to come up with another 20. Please use spoiler tags around your answers and feel free to tag anyone I might have missed (I've only tagged those who have posted in this thread already).

Ross BradWCE the_interloper bkozican Magnum Jab phantom13

1 - Gerard Gordeau knocked out three of Telia Tuli's teeth with a brutal head kick at UFC 1. One of the teeth landed under the commentary team's table, but what happened to the other two?

2 - Speaking of Telia Tuli, in what movie did he have a speaking role?

3 - The Von Flue choke was named because Jason Von Flue used it to finish which fighter in the UFC?

4 - Which fighter, despite a poor 1-6 record in the UFC still managed to fight for a UFC title?

5 - Which former UFC tournament winner had a role in the 2010 movie Predators?

6 - Conor McGregor broke Ronda Rousey's record for fastest finish in a title fight at UFC 194. Who's held that record before Ronda?

7 - Which legend of the MMA world made his debut by picking up a submission win in just 56 seconds against a former professionial wrestler?

8 - Gina Carano fought in the first female MMA fight to be aired on a major TV network in 2007. Who did she fight?

9 - UFC 24's main event was cancelled last minute when one of the headline fighters was not passed fit to fight. Who was the fighter and what happened?

10 - Who was the highest paid fighter at UFC 1?

11 - Who is the only man to have both fought and referreed in the UFC?

12 - Who is the first man to have a win against Royce Gracie in MMA?

13 - What was the advice from GSP's corner when he complained of a torn groin at ufC 100?

14 - Which fighter was the recipient of a cut that Joe Rogan described as a "goat's vagina" at UFC 43.

15 - Which rarely seen submission did former TUF finalist Brad Imes use to win two fights in a row in 2007?

16 - Which vegetable was at the core of a dispute between Diego Sanchez and Stephen Bonnar during TUF 1?

17 - How did Wesley "Cabbage" Correira get his nickname?

18 - Gary Goodridge holds the title of 4th degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won. How many lessons did it take for him to achieve this prestigious honour?

19 - Carlos Condit has won only 2 of his 30 victories by decision. One was a disputed decision against Nick Diaz. Who was the other one against?

20 - Rousimar Palhares is well known for holding submissions for too long, but apparently he is the opposite with his ground and pound. Against who did he jump on top of the cage in celebration only to find that the referee had not stopped the fight?

Nice work Guy Threepwood I'm bored shitless at work! The answers I had some idea of are below, interested to see who has reffed and fought in the UFC.

1 - Gerard Gordeau knocked out three of Telia Tuli's teeth with a brutal head kick at UFC 1. One of the teeth landed under the commentary team's table, but what happened to the other two?

They got stuck in his foot, he fought with them still in there for the rest of the night.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

4 - Which fighter, despite a poor 1-6 record in the UFC still managed to fight for a UFC title?

Elvis Sinosic

6 - Conor McGregor broke Ronda Rousey's record for fastest finish in a title fight at UFC 194. Who's held that record before Ronda?

Don't know, I'll go JDS against Cain.

7 - Which legend of the MMA world made his debut by picking up a submission win in just 56 seconds against a former professionial wrestler?

Maybe Rickson Gracie?

9 - UFC 24's main event was cancelled last minute when one of the headline fighters was not passed fit to fight. Who was the fighter and what happened?

*, he was meant to be fighting Kevin Randleman, was it Pedro Rizzo? Whoever it was knocked himself out backstage, he slipped on the curtain I think. Randleman and Coleman did a wrestling exhibition I believe.

Art Jimmerson got the highest appearance fee (maybe 20k?)

Does Harold Howard count?

14 - Which fighter was the recipient of a cut that Joe Rogan described as a "goat's vagina" at UFC 43.

Marvin Eastman maybe?

18 - Gary Goodridge holds the title of 4th degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won. How many lessons did it take for him to achieve this prestigious honour?

I think he only had one or two. They taught him the crucifix hold he used in the fight against Herrera but they didn't teach him the elbows to the head he thought of that ha ha

19 - Carlos Condit has won only 2 of his 30 victories by decision. One was a disputed decision against Nick Diaz. Who was the other one against?

Kevin Rosier (ha ha, no idea)

Solid start the_interloper. On your answers:

Questions 1, 2 and 4 are all correct. 6 and 7 are wrong, but you're in the right division for #6. For #9, you've got the right answer, just in the wrong order, it was Randleman who slipped and KO'd himself!

10, 12, 14 and 18 (I'll pay it, it was two lessons apparently) are correct.

Sounds good. Ten questions is probably a good amount.

Someone else needs to do the questions after this set. Otherwise you miss out on all the fun. :p

I'll try to come up with about ten for then.

I'll have a crack at it as well if you want, I might do 10 questions on the pre-Zuffa days and you can do 10 after?

1 - Embedded in Gordeau's foot I think?

4 - Elvis

5 - Taktarov

6 - Arlovski vs Buentello

7 - Couture

8 - Evinger? Kedzie?

9 - Randleman knocked himself out by slipping while warming up

10 - Gracie or Shamrock I guess

11 - Severn?

12 - Does Harold Howard count? If not, Sakuraba

13 - "Hit him with your groin"

14 - Marvin Eastman

15 - Gogoplata!

19 - Ellenberger?

20 - Dan Miller

4 - Elvis Sinosic

8 - Julie Kedzie

10 - Royce Gracie

12 - Does the UFC one where he couldn't continue in the tournament count? They had to throw the towel in I think. If it does, I can't remember who it was against. If not, I think Kazushi Sakuraba beat him first.

13 - Hit him with it.

14 - Marvin Eastman

16 - Asparagus

18 - zero

20 - Dan Miller

Had a go at a number of them, but not sure about a lot of them.

I've got 6 right so far. I don't know if I'll be able to get any more.

I would have got the GSP groin question anyway, but I recently rewatched that fight. :thumbsu:

GSP was so good. So well rounded. Every time Alves got comfortable on the feet GSP took him down. GSP knocked him down in the fight too. Most of the takedowns he got were brilliant.

This one was the best:

gsp_ufc100_6.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not good at this haha.

Wound up in his foot

No idea

3 - The Von Flue choke was named because Jason Von Flue used it to finish which fighter in the UFC?
Alex Karalexis (Karakilis maybe, cannot remember his surname)

No idea

5 - Which former UFC tournament winner had a role in the 2010 movie Predators?
Oleg Tatkarov i assume (didnt know he won a tourny)

Arlovski

No idea

8 - Gina Carano fought in the first female MMA fight to be aired on a major TV network in 2007. Who did she fight?
Kedzie? Gotta be a veteran

Kevin Randleman ko'd himself

No idea, Royce?

11 - Who is the only man to have both fought and referreed in the UFC?
No idea

Sakuraba, the Gracie hunter himself i think

13 - What was the advice from GSP's corner when he complained of a torn groin at UFC 100?
Kick him in the groin or something to that effect

No Idea

15 - Which rarely seen submission did former TUF finalist Brad Imes use to win two fights in a row in 2007?
Gogoplata

16 - Which vegetable was at the core of a dispute between Diego Sanchez and Stephen Bonnar during TUF 1?
Asparagus

17 - How did Wesley "Cabbage" Correira get his nickname?
No idea

Im assuming its probably like 1 or 2?

Defs beat Ellenberger by decision but i swear he had another one against Shields as well, i didnt see it but i remember reading about it on Wiki.

20 - Rousimar Palhares is well known for holding submissions for too long, but apparently he is the opposite with his ground and pound. Against who did he jump on top of the cage in celebration only to find that the referee had not stopped the fight?
Dan Miller

phantom13

For someone who's "not good at this", you're pretty damn good at this! 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 15, 16, 19 and 20 are all correct and you assumed correctly about 18 (it was 2 apparently). 12 isn't the answer I was after... Sakuraba was technically the first man to best Royce in a fight, but someone else has a win over him prior to that fight. 13 you're super close to as well. You're the only one to have gotten Karalexis right too, so on the whole a good effort. :)

Looks like we're done here. Congrats to Ross who got 14 out of 20 correct. :thumbsu:

The answers are as follows:

1 - Gerard Gordeau knocked out three of Telia Tuli's teeth with a brutal head kick at UFC 1. One of the teeth landed under the commentary team's table, but what happened to the other two? They were embedded in his foot where they stayed for the rest of the event

2 - Speaking of Telia Tuli, in what movie did he have a speaking role? Forgetting Sarah Marshall

3 - The Von Flue choke was named because Jason Von Flue used it to finish which fighter in the UFC? Alex Karalexis

4 - Which fighter, despite a poor 1-6 record in the UFC still managed to fight for a UFC title? Elvis Sinosic

5 - Which former UFC tournament winner had a role in the 2010 movie Predators? Oleg Taktarov

6 - Conor McGregor broke Ronda Rousey's record for fastest finish in a title fight at UFC 194. Who's held that record before Ronda? Andrei Arlovski (15 second KO vs Paul Buentello)

7 - Which legend of the MMA world made his debut by picking up a submission win in just 56 seconds against a former professionial wrestler? Randy Couture against Tony Halme (AKA Ludvig Borga of WWF fame)

8 - Gina Carano fought in the first female MMA fight to be aired on a major TV network in 2007. Who did she fight? Julie Kedzie

9 - UFC 24's main event was cancelled last minute when one of the headline fighters was not passed fit to fight. Who was the fighter and what happened? Kevin Randleman slipped and knocked himself out while warming up

10 - Who was the highest paid fighter at UFC 1? Art Jimmerson

11 - Who is the only man to have both fought and referreed in the UFC? Dan Severn (Refereed at UFC 24)

12 - Who is the first man to have a win against Royce Gracie in MMA? Harold Howard at UFC 3

13 - What was the advice from GSP's corner when he complained of a torn groin at ufC 100? Hit him with it

14 - Which fighter was the recipient of a cut that Joe Rogan described as a "goat's vagina" at UFC 43. Marvin Eastman

15 - Which rarely seen submission did former TUF finalist Brad Imes use to win two fights in a row in 2007? Gogoplata

16 - Which vegetable was at the core of a dispute between Diego Sanchez and Stephen Bonnar during TUF 1? Asparagus

17 - How did Wesley "Cabbage" Correira get his nickname? Due to his likeness to a cabbage patch doll when he was an infant

18 - Gary Goodridge holds the title of 4th degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won. How many lessons did it take for him to achieve this prestigious honour? Two

19 - Carlos Condit has won only 2 of his 30 victories by decision. One was a disputed decision against Nick Diaz. Who was the other one against? Jake Ellenberger

20 - Rousimar Palhares is well known for holding submissions for too long, but apparently he is the opposite with his ground and pound. Against who did he jump on top of the cage in celebration only to find that the referee had not stopped the fight? Dan Miller

Over to the_interloper or BradWCE for the next set of questions.

Okay. Finally got around to doing some questions this afternoon. Not sure how they compare to the previous questions in difficulty. Could be way harder or way easier. I've got no idea. Will give plenty of hints if needed. I've come up with 11 questions.

1. Which UFC PPV ran over and cut out early on many cable systems? This event was the first sanctioned by the NSAC and has been described as “the worst show we’ve ever had” by Dana White.

2. Who are the two fighters that competed against each other at UFC 37 in what has become known as the ‘double tap’ fight?

3. Who made their debut at UFC 46 against Karo Parisyan? This fighter would go on to become a UFC champion.

4. How many UFC fights have entered the 5th round and not gone to decision?

5. There are two fighters who have been able to finish an opponent in the 5th round two times in UFC fights. Who are these two fighters?

6. There have been 3 UFC PPV events (in the U.S. anyway) in Australia. Who are the 6 fighters that have competed in those 3 main events?

7. There have been 5 non-PPV UFC cards in Australia. Who are the 9 fighters (one fighter has main evented twice) that competed in the main events of these cards?

8. On The Ultimate Fighter 5 who had a verbal confrontation (some physical contact also occurred) and then they almost came to blows before being separated? One of the men was competing on TUF 5 and one was not.

9. Greg Jackson says something immediately after the fight between Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida at UFC 140. What he said got a fair amount of media attention. What did he say? (There are 3 words that I‘m really looking for here to get this correct)

10. Recently Jon Jones was stripped of his UFC championship. Dominick Cruz and GSP vacated their championships fairly recently. Who are the last 3 UFC champions before these 3 to be stripped of or vacate their UFC championships?

11. Who out of the 3 fighters that correctly answer question 10 was stripped of or vacated their title most recently?

1. was that the card after 9/11 where Tito Headlined against Matyushenko and all the fights went to decision? I can't remember the exact number, was it around 30?

3. GSP

5. TJ is one, and Cain?

9. Get some fans

Sorry, these are just off the top of my head in between making dinner and being yanked around by the kids!

1 - I remember reading something about this but am not sure. Was it the card headlined by Tito and Matyushenko? No idea what number that was, but know it was in the Zuffa era and remember it being prerry dull.

2 - Murilo Bustamante and Matt Lindland

3 - GSP

4 - Based on the anwer to number 5, I'm going with 6. Can only think of the Penn/Sanchez and Lawler MacDonald fights ending in the 5th in addition to the one's in number 5.

5 - TJ Dillashaw (Barao and Soto) and Demetrius Johnson (Moraga and Horiguchi)

6 - UFC 110 Cain Velasquez and Antonio Nogueira, 127 BJ Penn and Jon Fitch, 193 Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm

7 - No idea on the event names for this one. Let's see... Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold, Martin Kampmann and Tiago Alves, Mark Hunt and Antonio Silva, Mark Hunt and Stipe Miocic. I'm drawing a blank on the last two.

8 - Nate Diaz and Karo "Do you know who I am bro? Parisyan. Great scene!

9 - It was something like "Go Check on him to win yourself some fans"

10 - Ooh, tough one. I can't remember it happeneing for a while so I'll go with Randy, BJ and Tito.

11 - Randy.

1. Which UFC PPV ran over and cut out early on many cable systems? This event was the first sanctioned by the NSAC and has been described as “the worst show we’ve ever had” by Dana White.

UFC 33, though UFC 4 also ran over time, subscribers missed the end of Severn v Gracie

2. Who are the two fighters that competed against each other at UFC 37 in what has become known as the ‘double tap’ fight?

No idea

3. Who made their debut at UFC 46 against Karo Parisyan? This fighter would go on to become a UFC champion.

GSP (?)

4. How many UFC fights have entered the 5th round and not gone to decision?

Can only think of 2, Silva v Sonnen 1 and I think one of Demetrious Johnson's could be more.

5. There are two fighters who have been able to finish an opponent in the 5th round two times in UFC fights. Who are these two fighters?

See previous answer ha ha

6. There have been 3 UFC PPV events (in the U.S. anyway) in Australia. Who are the 6 fighters that have competed in those 3 main events?

Rousey v Holm, Cain v Big Nog, BJ v Fitch

7. There have been 5 non-PPV UFC cards in Australia. Who are the 9 fighters (one fighter has main evented twice) that competed in the main events of these cards?

Hunt v Miocic
Hunt v Bigfoot
Can't remember the rest

8. On The Ultimate Fighter 5 who had a verbal confrontation (some physical contact also occurred) and then they almost came to blows before being separated? One of the men was competing on TUF 5 and one was not.

No idea

9. Greg Jackson says something immediately after the fight between Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida at UFC 140. What he said got a fair amount of media attention. What did he say? (There are 3 words that I‘m really looking for here to get this correct)

Get some fans!

10. Recently Jon Jones was stripped of his UFC championship. Dominick Cruz and GSP vacated their championships fairly recently. Who are the last 3 UFC champions before these 3 to be stripped of or vacate their UFC championships?

Couture vacated once I think, unsure of any others.

11. Who out of the 3 fighters that correctly answer question 10 was stripped of or vacated their title most recently?

I'll go Randy then.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back