Player Watch Moana Hope moved to Nth Melb. Where to now? Post # 313

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who have a better idea about aflw are Hopes chances of being picked up gone? Know with the free agency period finished. I do not follow the aflw all that much, but from reports that i have read i had the impression that she had a decent year at North.
So what is the deal with her?

For those who have a better idea about aflw are Hopes chances of being picked up gone? Know with the free agency period finished. I do not follow the aflw all that much, but from reports that i have read i had the impression that she had a decent year at North.
So what is the deal with her?

It’s a strange one.

She hasn’t retired, so the decision was not hers.

With four new teams coming into the comp, there’d be a strong preference to hang on to experienced players. I know people like to knock her performance (at Collingwood) but that was all about her not meeting expectations. No question she’s AFLW standard.

I reckon there must have been something going on off-field. It doesn’t make sense to me otherwise.

I’d also imagine that it’s a close-knit community and her card will have been marked.

It’s a strange one.

She hasn’t retired, so the decision was not hers.

With four new teams coming into the comp, there’d be a strong preference to hang on to experienced players. I know people like to knock her performance (at Collingwood) but that was all about her not meeting expectations. No question she’s AFLW standard.

I reckon there must have been something going on off-field. It doesn’t make sense to me otherwise.

I’d also imagine that it’s a close-knit community and her card will have been marked.

I think she built too strong a reputation as a prima donna and it doesn't fit into team cultures they are trying to build. One square peg in a round hole can get the entire changeroom rumbling. Even watching her on Survivor, she seems unable to just fit in and abide by the status quo. I think the decision was made went beyond her football ability in the end. She even run her mouth on the way out the door of North Melbourne, saying "what player welfare?" and leaving it at that suggesting she felt very hard done by and it's just not the attitude teams would be looking for and she's got a strong history now of rocking the boat. Teams would be passing on her attitude before her football ability now.

Looks like Mo got told she wasn't going to get drafted so has pulled the old mental health break and will be back in a year!

More like you couldn't get drafted and no clubs in AFLW wants you as its clearly time to retire the game has passed you by.

Looks like Mo got told she wasn't going to get drafted so has pulled the old mental health break and will be back in a year!

More like you couldn't get drafted and no clubs in AFLW wants you as its clearly time to retire the game has passed you by.

The game never suited her from that first AFLW season she couldn't get a kick.

Still can't work out why she got all the sponsorship and the marquee player status when she basically stunk it up from game 1 of the ALFW.

Admittedly she had 1 got game in that Bulldogs Vs dee's scratch match

Still can't work out why she got all the sponsorship and the marquee player status when she basically stunk it up from game 1 of the ALFW.

Admittedly she had 1 got game in that Bulldogs Vs dee's scratch match

She Kicked 100+ Goals in the Local Footy so I guess we just took her because of that and not much else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She Kicked 100+ Goals in the Local Footy so I guess we just took her because of that and not much else
She was good in all but 1 of her exhibition matches (when she had an injured hand).

Then in AFLW, should have been good in season 1, but the coaching from Collingwood encouraged slow, sideways movement of the ball, creating a conjusted forward 50. She worked better in local footy, when the aim was to get it in quick and give her room to move.

Then after season 2, defensive coaching and structures got better, blunting the effectiveness of the likes of Hope and Perkins.

Simply, the game evolved and it doesn't work for some players anymore.

She still carries on like its the teams shes played for not giving her the best opportunity as opposed to the fact she should have retired a couple of years ago.

She still carries on like its the teams shes played for not giving her the best opportunity as opposed to the fact she should have retired a couple of years ago.

I don't understand your vitriol towards Hope. She was a very good local footy player, she deserved her opportunity and the attention at the time as one of the best players then, however the game has evolved quickly and moved past her. She played at a level and standard most of us won't reach. Let it go.

Hope and women’s footy in general makes an interesting perspective on how players for previous eras would go today.

If players were to go from amateur footy to professional footy without preparation some like Hope would struggle, some would adapt and still play well while athletic types may excel and possibly have better careers.

A professional environment doesn’t suit everyone, however I’m sure the majority would still be great players (possibly in different positions or roles) if they had exposure to structures etc in their youth. Hope with such junior exposure I could see as one of those laconic types who looks talented, but never quite gets there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back