Opinion MODERATE ideas for a 'fairer' AFL without the hyperbole of VIC & non-VIC trolls. TROLLS FROM BOTH SIDES PLEASE KEEP OUT

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Mmmm my bullshit detector is off the scale here

You can continually reply but the quote function is beyond you?

So you want me to do your work for you, ok. I imagine your answer would be different if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm not gonna debate this with you, that's between you and the Wook

1594271981700.png

1594272037655.png

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
So you want me to do your work for you, ok. I imagine your answer would be different if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm not gonna debate this with you, that's between you and the Wook

View attachment 908893
View attachment 908894
Thats not a reference you clown

Thats him stating an opinion

One thats pretty easily shot down

turning it into a national comp made the tv rights worth more - so the vfl STILL needed eagles and bears to stay solvent

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Or are you claiming that what he said in post 2167

is referenced by what he said in post 2165?

Two posts before?

Wow is that like a blanket referencing - how long does that last for?? A page? Two?

Thats a big call

are you standing by that The_Wookie?

Does what you referenced on post 2165 pertain to your denial that the vfl and clubs were broke and subject to being shut down by the regulators?

or were your references exclusively related to post 2165?

Which by the way is educational - i believe i was incorrect stating that the wafl wasnt involved in negotiations

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Thats not a reference you clown

Thats him stating an opinion

One thats pretty easily shot down

turning it into a national comp made the tv rights worth more - so the vfl STILL needed eagles and bears to stay solvent

Like I said I'm you're not debating this with me, this is someone else's post - there are plenty of references of the history. I mentioned he believes differently to you about the financial situation of the VFL - I never stated there was reference around that exact piece of it. (not my intention anyway).

And no need to get personal, I have zero against clowns but I sense you've directed it in a derogatory way.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Like I said I'm you're not debating this with me, this is someone else's post - there are plenty of references of the history. I mentioned he believes differently to you about the financial situation of the VFL - I never stated there was reference around that exact piece of it. (not my intention anyway).

And no need to get personal, I have zero against clowns but I sense you've directed it in a derogatory way.
Are you calling me clownist?

Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL selling the Grand Final as part of a $500 million agreement to upgrade resources that the AFL uses (including $225 million to upgrade Marvel Stadium--- the asset that is currently allowing the AFL to continue).

So compromising the integrity of the sport for 40 years for a pay check? Cool story.

Deal was done pre-COVID, so the financial benefit of that right now is pure coincidence. I'd also argue that the league would have found a way to survive even if that funding hadn't been guaranteed.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL selling the Grand Final as part of a $500 million agreement to upgrade resources that the AFL uses (including $225 million to upgrade Marvel Stadium--- the asset that is currently allowing the AFL to continue).
A twenty year deal - 25 million a year

for 2500 000 000 worth of product.

wa footy got 1500 000 000 worth out of our state government without a gf in sight

And yours only benefits victorian footy fans

A twenty year deal - 25 million a year

for 2500 000 000 worth of product.

wa footy got 1500 000 000 worth out of our state government without a gf in sight

And yours only benefits victorian footy fans

...as I've said repeatedly (but you do like going around in circles Kranky)

• The Marvel deal is more beneficial to the AFL than any other stadium upgrade because the AFL owns Marvel Stadium.
  • The failure to incorporate the ability to get an AFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium in the near future (beyond 2037) is the failure of the WA government, not the AFL.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
...as I've said repeatedly (but you do like going around in circles Kranky)
The failure to incorporate the ability to get an AFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium in the near future (beyond 2037) is the failure of the WA government, not the AFL.
Considering there's a process to move people through different categories (Silver to Gold) taking 10+ years your suggestion would upset more people (the majority of AFL members) than it would make happy by moving a Grand Final

Not sure why we're even discussing this as a serious idea anyway---it's still over 30 years away.

Aaannnddd there it is

Wa governments fault for not getting on the front foot 15 years out from the contract ending

Also why are we discussing it now - its 30 years away

Could you be any more victorian?

Aaannnddd there it is

Wa governments fault for not getting on the front foot 15 years out from the contract ending

Also why are we discussing it now - its 30 years away

Could you be any more victorian?

Am I Victorian because I actually understand the difference in time these numbers signify?

You've compared two different discussions that are highlighting different points in time.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
How did you imagine buying a grand final after the contract ended was going to work exactly?

Well i dunno wook

i look at the olympics

cant remember them signing that up in secrecy without tendering it to see if they can get a better deal

same same with the world cup, the nfl - nope all of them tender it.

and then you have mr m who simultaneously wants the wa government to psychically know to put in a tender for something that hasnt been put to tender -15 years before the current contract ends

but also not talk about it when its too far away.

I guess we have to imagine the perfect time to discuss it but that time will never actually be revealed.

if i were a cynical man - and i am - id suggest that is the very definition of an insiders deal that is set up to make sure the incumbent wins.

www.pixelpac.com.au

data cabling pixelpac are premier data cablers data structured cabling data cabling

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Well i dunno wook

i look at the olympics

cant remember them signing that up in secrecy without tendering it to see if they can get a better deal

same same with the world cup, the nfl - nope all of them tender it.

They've never tended put the AFL Grand Final to tender. No professional Australian sport has that i know of.

and then you have mr m who simultaneously wants the wa government to psychically know to put in a tender for something that hasnt been put to tender -15 years before the current contract ends

Didnt have to be a psychic. The period of the contract was well known, the end date was fixed. Did they even make the enquiry? Did they make an offer for the 2043 Grand Final?

but also not talk about it when its too far away.

It couldnt happen any earlier, but the date of the end of the previous extended contract has been known since 2009.

[quoteI guess we have to imagine the perfect time to discuss it but that time will never actually be revealed.[/quote]

Perfect time to discuss it was during the Optus Stadium/Adelaide Oval builds. Again - the date of contract end was known by the time these were done. Nothing prevented anyone from going for the 2043 and 2044 grand finals - as far as we know nobody tried.

if i were a cynical man - and i am - id suggest that is the very definition of an insiders deal that is set up to make sure the incumbent wins.

Id suggest very much that the fact we've never heard of anyone ever even trying to negotiate anything in close to a decade between extensions suggests that people didnt want to try hard enough.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Perfect time to discuss it was during the Optus Stadium/Adelaide Oval builds. Again - the date of contract end was known by the time these were done. Nothing prevented anyone from going for the 2043 and 2044 grand finals - as far as we know nobody tried.
Pretty rough to just assume that it wasn't brought up then, and fobbed off by the AFL with a "we'll discuss it closer to the contract end date".

Theres not a single report anywhere that it was bought up by anyone at any time.

You would've thought that either the WA or SA Government would've "leaked" that they requested it of the AFL during discussions of building the stadiums, even if it was just postering because it would be received well in the local markets. I'm shocked that anyone would believe that it would be asked for and then completely not discussed publicly.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Although what chance did the WA Government have at getting the AFL to consider moving the Grand Final to Optus Stadium, when the AFL refused to even put in any funding for the stadium, and the WA Government now gives $10m a year to the WAFC as compensation of lost revenue from closing Subiaco Oval?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Although what chance did the WA Government have at getting the AFL to consider moving the Grand Final to Optus Stadium, when the AFL refused to even put in any funding for the stadium, and the WA Government now gives $10m a year to the WAFC as compensation of lost revenue from closing Subiaco Oval?
Yep. They wouldn’t have had a dollar to spare to bid on the GF after the final bill for the stadium and surrounds came in $800m over budget. What a disaster.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Thats the WA Governments problem. The AFL guarantees the funding and the fixtures, and gives 4m a year to the WAFC - it shouldnt have to do more.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Thats the WA Governments problem. The AFL guarantees the funding and the fixtures, and gives 4m a year to the WAFC - it shouldnt have to do more.

So you would suggest the WA Government had no chance of negotiating the AFL GF to be played at Optus Stadium then.

So why the rhetoric suggesting the WA government should have tried at that time.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So you would suggest the WA Government had no chance of negotiating the AFL GF to be played at Optus Stadium then.

Thats the exact opposite of what I said earlier. That position hasnt changed for mine. I doubt they even tried, certainly no one has reported they did.

So why the rhetoric suggesting the WA government should have tried at that time.

because you completely invented an interpretation of my last comment that literally isnt there.[/QUOTE]

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Thats the exact opposite of what I said earlier. That position hasnt changed for mine. I doubt they even tried, certainly no one has reported they did.

because you completely invented an interpretation of my last comment that literally isnt there.

My apologies for mis-interpreting.

I didn’t get the sense before that you were suggesting the WA or SA governments actually had a legitimate chance of being successful if they even tried.

Sometimes it’s hard to take away the right intent, when comments are mixed in with other people.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Could they have got more else where.

Was other stadiums allowed to bid?

Back