Opinion MODERATE ideas for a 'fairer' AFL without the hyperbole of VIC & non-VIC trolls. TROLLS FROM BOTH SIDES PLEASE KEEP OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

They've never tended put the AFL Grand Final to tender. No professional Australian sport has that i know of.

Didnt have to be a psychic. The period of the contract was well known, the end date was fixed. Did they even make the enquiry? Did they make an offer for the 2043 Grand Final?

It couldnt happen any earlier, but the date of the end of the previous extended contract has been known since 2009.

I guess we have to imagine the perfect time to discuss it but that time will never actually be revealed

Perfect time to discuss it was during the Optus Stadium/Adelaide Oval builds. Again - the date of contract end was known by the time these were done. Nothing prevented anyone from going for the 2043 and 2044 grand finals - as far as we know nobody tried.

Id suggest very much that the fact we've never heard of anyone ever even trying to negotiate anything in close to a decade between extensions suggests that people didnt want to try hard enough.

its like you honestly think you can piss in our pockets with this and call it rain.

(Q1)Im head of an organisation that wants to get the best possible deal for my product im on my way to a party with a small group of very competitive movers and shakers with access to billions.

Do i

a) go to just one of them and negotiate a deal.

or

b) speak to all of them and negotiate a deal.

(Q2) Im head of an organisation that wants a predetermined outcome in a deal for my product. I'm on my way to a party with a small group very competitive movers and shakers with access to billions.

Do i

a) go to one of them and negotiate a deal.

or

pick one of either answer 1 or 2 thats in each case likely to get the best outcome

How did you imagine buying a grand final after the contract ended was going to work exactly?
Well, seeing it is the AFL you don't sell it you share it. The AFL is, after all, a "Not for profit" organisation and is there for ALL AFL supporters?

Last edited:

This idea has probably been suggested somewhere before, but what if the Grand Final got expanded into a best 2 out of 3 over a possible three weekends.

Both teams playing will get to host either the first or second game, and if a deciding third game is needed it gets played at a venue in a neutral state, with a default to use the MCG.

That way every state can host a part of the grand final, whilst retaining a possibility for the MCG every year.

The AFL can get more money from ticket sales.

So if it is Eagles vs Swans, game 1 is at Perth, game 2 at Sydney and game 3 (if needed) is at the MCG.

If it is Adelaide vs Carlton, game 1 at Adelaide, game 2 at MCG, game 3 (if needed) in any other state.

If it’s Geelong vs Essendon, game 1 at Kardinia Park, Game 2 at Docklands, game 3 at MCG.

Melbourne vs Richmond, game 1 MCG, game 2 MCG, game 3 MCG.

Etc

Well, seeing it is the AFL you don't sell it you share it. The AFL is, after all, a "Not for profit" organisation and is there for ALL AFL supporters?

Sure. Now tell that to every other non profit sporting body in the country. Like the NRL and the FFA who regularly sell events around the country.

Geelong have a stadium

if we got a liberal govt in Victoria like NSW Each of the remaining Melbourne clubs could have a stadium each bough by the state.

then the mcg would be neutral with a few games rationed out to each club

its like you honestly think you can piss in our pockets with this and call it rain.

(Q1)Im head of an organisation that wants to get the best possible deal for my product im on my way to a party with a small group of very competitive movers and shakers with access to billions.

Do i

a) go to just one of them and negotiate a deal.

or

(Q2) Im head of an organisation that wants a predetermined outcome in a deal for my product. I'm on my way to a party with a small group very competitive movers and shakers with access to billions.

Do i

a) go to one of them and negotiate a deal.

or

pick one of either answer 1 or 2 thats in each case likely to get the best outcome
So what was his reply?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back