Modern anime

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Havnt watched anime for atleast a decade now. Do any shows of the past 10-15 years stand up to the quality of the big hitters of the past? In terms of amazing adventure, emotional intensity, intellectual complexity, deep characters. Sure i know there will be some that do one of these things well but all the big hitters of the past excelled in atleast 3.

Any modern anime reaches the same quality of:
Evangelion
Death Note
Full metal alchemist (both versions)
escaflowne
Cowboy bepep
Martian Successor Nadisco
X tv
Berserk.

Which modern animes are just as good or even better then these?

Havnt watched anime for atleast a decade now. Do any shows of the past 10-15 years stand up to the quality of the big hitters of the past? In terms of amazing adventure, emotional intensity, intellectual complexity, deep characters. Sure i know there will be some that do one of these things well but all the big hitters of the past excelled in atleast 3.

Any modern anime reaches the same quality of:
Evangelion
Death Note
Full metal alchemist (both versions)
escaflowne
Cowboy bepep
Martian Successor Nadisco
X tv
Berserk.

Which modern animes are just as good or even better then these?

Samurai Champloo
Psycho Pass
Code Geass
Hunter x Hunter (2011 version)
Steins Gate
Attack on Titan

Kind of a spread there in terms of themes and general quality.

Quality is perhaps arguable but nothing has hit the significance to the medium as Eva. Finding shows that excel at everything you mentioned is a little difficult in general too. A lot of the more intellectually sophisticated series are not oriented towards action, for instance.

In addition to those mentioned above, perhaps check out:

Katanagatari
Shiki
Shinsekai Yori
Parasyte -the maxim-

There's also Madoka, if you can get past the Aoki Ume character designs, base genre and general SHAFTisms.

Kind of a spread there in terms of themes and general quality.

Quality is perhaps arguable but nothing has hit the significance to the medium as Eva. Finding shows that excel at everything you mentioned is a little difficult in general too. A lot of the more intellectually sophisticated series are not oriented towards action, for instance.

In addition to those mentioned above, perhaps check out:

Katanagatari
Shiki
Shinsekai Yori
Parasyte -the maxim-

There's also Madoka, if you can get past the Aoki Ume character designs, base genre and general SHAFTisms.
Cool thanks will look into them,

Good list.

there are about five awesome attack on titan songs that are great for exercise. Names are too obscure to remember. Went though whole period where i only exercised to attack of titan soundtracks.

space lion, rain and blue from cowboy bepop are A class.

forces from beserk. Great pump up song.

braja brothers song from full metal alchemist.

heaps of others i cant quite remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back