Modern ERA Teams That Have Their Best FWD/MID/BACK in History On List

Remove this Banner Ad

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
So for us I think WCE have their best FWD in history (all playing together/same list). Geelong also have their best midfield in history currently (2018)? Adelaide best fwd in history (2017)?

Date: 21/05/2018

As of the 21/05/2018 our fwd line consist of
3/5 Top 5 Eagles goal kickers

1. Josh Kennedy (RIPE)
2. Peter Sumich
3. Mark Lecras (RIPE soon to be spoilt)
4. Phil Material
5. Jack Darling (RIPE)

Rioli Darling Cripps/Waterman
Lecras Josh Kennedy Ryan

Reserves: Brander

Which and when did modern era teams (post 2000) have their best either FWD/DEF/MID. Consider how they gel but also statistically speaking like brownlow etc.

Statistically Speaking:
For our mid: 2006 Mid (Cousin, Judd, Kerr)
Backline: ???
Fwd: 2018
Ruck: Going with Nic (Up and coming) and Cox (RIPE) which was I think 2011.

Last edited:

So for us I think WCE have their best FWD in history. Geelong also have their best midfield in history currently (2018)? Adelaide best fwd in history?

Date: 21/05/2018

As of the 21/05/2018 our fwd line consist of
3/5 Top 5 Eagles goal kickers

1. Josh Kennedy (RIPE)
2. Peter Sumich
3. Mark Lecras (RIPE soon to be spoilt)
4. Phil Material
5. Jack Darling (RIPE)

Rioli Darling Cripps/Waterman
Lecras Josh Kennedy Ryan

Reserves: Brander

Which and when did modern era teams (post 2000) have their best either FWD/DEF/MID. Consider how they gel but also statistically speaking like brownlow etc.

Statistically Speaking:
For our mid: 2006 Mid (Cousin, Judd, Kerr)
Backline: ???
Ruck: Going with Nic (Up and coming) and Cox (RIPE) which was I think 2011.

I wouldn't be putting Kennedy ahead of Sumich yet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=19&type=A&pid1=1610&pid2=1005&fid1=C&fid2=C

The question isn't about individual players. I mean what was year was your teams best mid/fwd/def/ruck

Dench
Glendinning
Foote
Carey
Longmire/Murray/Spencer

3 x players with genuine AFL TOTC claims.

On paper we have our best midfield but really we don’t. It’s not even the best midfield Joel Selwood has played in.

He, Ablett, Danger, Duncan is good.

It’s not he, Bartel, Ablett, Corey, Ottens (important to remember the part a ruckman plays in a great midfield), Enright (he was an onballer for a big chunk of his earlier career), Kelly good.

I think Hawkins - don’t laugh, I’ll explain - would go close to finding his way into an all-time Geelong side. Wade and Ablett Sr obviously walk in but they were both full forwards, and Sr could be thrown basically anywhere forward of centre. As a CHF you could match Hawkins up with Brownless but he’s kicked more goals, he has 450 and can probably finish with between 600 and 700. (He still hasn’t turned 30 I’m pretty sure). He gets maligned a lot but from 2012 onwards he’s averaged around 3 goals a game, playing basically as a lone hand, and has been a colossal marking target.

Edit: after all that I just realised the thread is about entire lines. As you were.

Yep entire lines... Year where you had the best of all time Mid/FWD/Ruck/DEF eg:

Mid: 2006
Ruck: 2011
Def: ??

You couldn't say that about any line of any Melbourne team in over 50 years.

Maybe - maybe! - in five years we might be saying something of the sort. T-Mac, Hoges, Weideman and our fleet of small forwards could get up there. Viney, Oliver, Truck, Gawn (if he lasts)... that could be something special.

I've been disappointed enough not to count any chickens though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009 Geelong arguably had their greatest ever defence and midfield at the same time

FB: Enright, Scarlet, Harley
HB: Milburn, Taylor, Mackie

MID: Corey, Ling, Kelly
FOL: GAJ, Selwood, Bartel

Pretty stacked if you ask me. Bolded players are in, or in serious consideration for, their greatest of all time team.

2009 Geelong arguably had their greatest ever defence and midfield at the same time

FB: Enright, Scarlet, Harley
HB: Milburn, Taylor, Mackie

MID: Corey, Ling, Kelly
FOL: GAJ, Selwood, Bartel

Pretty stacked if you ask me. Bolded players are in, or in serious consideration for, their greatest of all time team.

Ridiculous. 6 AA players on both lines. Another 5 in the side via Mooney, SJ, Chapman, Hawkins, Ottens

Blake, Varcoe, Rooke, Byrnes and Wojcinski look a bit out of place

You couldn't say that about any line of any Melbourne team in over 50 years.

Maybe - maybe! - in five years we might be saying something of the sort. T-Mac, Hoges, Weideman and our fleet of small forwards could get up there. Viney, Oliver, Truck, Gawn (if he lasts)... that could be something special.

I've been disappointed enough not to count any chickens though!
94 is Melbournes best forward line easily

Gary Lyon had one of the best years of his career with 79 goals
Schwarz was in full flight and going to be the next great CHF. kicked 60 goals and averaged nearly 7 marks a game
Jakovich only played half the season and still managed 50 goals

Since 2000 it has to be the 2000/2001 line up. Although it might actually be better than 94... maybe

Neitz - all time leading goal kicker
Robertson - 4th all time goal kicker
Green - 7th all time goal kicker
Farmer - Our greatest small forward
Schwarz - Still playing... technically

Last edited:
Individual players like Martin and Rance would be in the mix for best ever in their position. Not sure about entire lines. Obviously the backline is Richmond’s current strength.

Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin, Houli, B.Ellis, McIntosh, Broad are the current crop.

Obviously the great team of the 70s would match up well with that. The Richmond team of the early 30s were the dominant defensive team of their era too, so a bit of competition.

Ridiculous. 6 AA players on both lines. Another 5 in the side via Mooney, SJ, Chapman, Hawkins, Ottens

Blake, Varcoe, Rooke, Byrnes and Wojcinski look a bit out of place
I don't like saying that a triple premiership team under performed... but the fact they only won 3 premierships is kind of surprising

I don't like saying that a triple premiership team under performed... but the fact they only won 3 premierships is kind of surprising

In a way yes, but considering how good St Kilda actually were in 2009 (two losses all season before GF day) and the Pies in 2010-11, it wasn’t so much that we were poor, but that there were other sides who played equally brilliant football. Obviously 08 changes things a bit - with due respect to the hawks and what followed later, their side that year was nowhere near as good as ours but they played a great Gf, we had a bad day, and it cost us a 4 from 5 record which would look phenomenal. Steve Johnson says in his bio that he’s certain we wouldn’t have won 2009 though if we’d won 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back