Modern footy about to be worked out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Modern football. Forward pressure, zones, the forward flood and the rebound. It’s all things deemed unattractive and stymied depending on who you talk to or what you prefer as a fan.

Sydney (of the modern era) gave us an intensive defensive approach, and that’s really carried through in some form to today. The WB of 2016 provided the intensive forward Press with maniacal tackling pressure. Richmond last year almost copied a blueprint of that, to a degree.

Watching Mason Cox tonight, are we potentially looking to wind the clock back to a traditional forward set up? We are really looking at some basics attributes here; lead, jump, mark high, kick straight. The zone can’t beat that, the forward press isn’t relied upon to score from brazen forward entries.

I am not sure what people think, but if you wind back to the basics of football I don’t think the modern tactics stack up if you can identify the basics;

-Lead, mark, kick
-Open the square
-Have midfielders who can hit targets within 50 comfortably

Modern football. Forward pressure, zones, the forward flood and the rebound. It’s all things deemed unattractive and stymied depending on who you talk to or what you prefer as a fan.

Sydney (of the modern era) gave us an intensive defensive approach, and that’s really carried through in some form to today. The WB of 2016 provided the intensive forward Press with maniacal tackling pressure. Richmond last year almost copied a blueprint of that, to a degree.

Watching Mason Cox tonight, are we potentially looking to wind the clock back to a traditional forward set up? We are really looking at some basics attributes here; lead, jump, mark high, kick straight. The zone can’t beat that, the forward press isn’t relied upon to score from brazen forward entries.

I am not sure what people think, but if you wind back to the basics of football I don’t think the modern tactics stack up if you can identify the basics;

-Lead, mark, kick
-Open the square

The two main things that have lead to 'modern footy' - there really is no difference in goalkicking skills between amateur and AFL levels for the vast majority of the competition.

-Lead, mark, kick
-Open the square
Loose man in defense. Boom solved.

It’s almost like sport is dynamic and somewhat cyclical, and coaches eventually figure out the best way to beat the current popular strategies.

Or you could just change all the rules and paint a big square out there.

In my opinion.... skill will normally beat effort

The skill of your team is what matters. Even if pressure can win you a flag.... it normally is skill that will win the day on most days and it will win you the flag in most years.

-Lead, mark, kick
-Open the square
Bad call, Hutchy. Premature call. One ******* game call.

In my opinion.... skill will normally beat effort

The skill of your team is what matters. Even if pressure can win you a flag.... it normally is skill that will win the day on most days and it will win you the flag in most years.
Not currently, most goals are scored through over the top grandma goals where the offensive player has 10m+ on his opponent and even a vfl/sanfl level player can complete that pass without much fuss.

All about fitness and work rate, talent is optional if you have those.

Bruce: "utensils being held!"

Yes Bruce, clearly.
"Short and Cox, they're two words that don't don't in the same sentence!"

Also on this modern footy discussion, footy is just not rocket science. Winning more marking contests, kicking straighter, sticking more tackles and being cleaner at ground level is going to win you every single game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pfft, bomb it long to a tall forward has been our game plan for years now. Copycats.

Typically it's beaten by flooding to block space or having a loose man go for the intercept.

Collingwood brilliantly countered Richmond's forward pressure by walking the ball out and taking the game on from defence instead of blind-kicking it to prevent repeat entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back