Draft Watcher ModernArtillery 2021 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Linke is a great size and could fill out into a really good AFL sized mid, kicking under pressure though atm is pretty horrid tbh. He's a project for mine, good upside.
He is definitely a nice size and the running capacity is impressive. It's the speed and explosiveness that limits his upside in my view. I feel he's a bit limited on the inside. With that lack of speed he struggles to get to the outside of the contest and so many of his disposals are under pressure because he can't create that separation. In a professional environment I'm sure he could add a touch of pace and explosiveness but I think he'd still have to develop his ability to navigate his way through traffic as he's likely never going to be able to rely on that burst. I actually think his best footy has been played on the wing, where his ability to cover the ground allows him to accumulate the footy with mark and kick. I personally don't think I'd have a list spot for him this year but he's definitely part of the large late national/rookie draft group.

He is definitely a nice size and the running capacity is impressive. It's the speed and explosiveness that limits his upside in my view. I feel he's a bit limited on the inside. With that lack of speed he struggles to get to the outside of the contest and so many of his disposals are under pressure because he can't create that separation. In a professional environment I'm sure he could add a touch of pace and explosiveness but I think he'd still have to develop his ability to navigate his way through traffic as he's likely never going to be able to rely on that burst. I actually think his best footy has been played on the wing, where his ability to cover the ground allows him to accumulate the footy with mark and kick. I personally don't think I'd have a list spot for him this year but he's definitely part of the large late national/rookie draft group.

Yea that's a pretty fair assessment. I think at least having his size gives him that edge if he does add a bit of power and burst rather than being just another 175-180cm type in the same boat.

Final Rankings + Tiers
As part of my final rankings I've tried to group and define tiers. It's been an interesting exercise and has caused some minor movement. It's definitely an imperfect science because there are so many variables and rightly or wrongly, it has slightly shifted my perspective on some players. The most challenging aspect when defining the tiers was how to factor in a prospects projected floor and ceiling within each tier definition. Not every single prospect fits perfectly into their tier but I've tried to give a general indication of how I view that group.

Tier 1
Top tier talent. Minimal flaws, if any. Hard to envision these guys not playing 150+ games if they stay healthy.
1. Jason Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos

Tier 2
Top tier talent with minor flaws. High level of natural football ability with the physical tools necessary to have success at AFL level. Hard to envision these guys not playing 100+ games if healthy.
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Tyler Sonsie
5. Josh Ward
6. Finn Callaghan
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Sam Darcy
9. Josh Rachele

Tier 3A

Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw that raises just a minor concern. High floor prospects.
10. Matthew Johnson
11. Josh Gibcus
12. Zac Taylor
13. Josh Goater
14. Connor MacDonald
15. Darcy Wilmot
16. Mitch Owens
17. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
18. Tom Brown

Tier 3B
Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw/s that raises a minor concern/s. Similar ceiling to 'Tier 3A' but a lower floor.
19. Kai Lohmann
20. Josh Sinn
21. Sam Butler
22. Campbell Chesser
23. Rhett Bazzo
24. Arlo Draper
25. Mac Andrew
26. Jye Amiss

Tier 4
AFL standard traits and obvious role at the next level. Don't quite have the ceiling of the prospects in higher tiers but have a typically well-rounded skill set. Project as serviceable role players at AFL level.
27. Paul Curtis
28. Marcus Windhager
29. Brady Hough
30. Jacob Van Rooyen
31. James Willis
32. Judson Clarke

Tier 5A
Enough talent to find a role at AFL level and a best 22 ceiling, but still a fair bit of development required to get there.
33. Mitch Knevitt
34. Leek Alleer
35. Miller Bergman
36. Blake Howes
37. Cooper Murley
38. Jamieson Ballantyne
39. Josh Fahey
40. Matthew Roberts
41. Sam Banks

Tier 5B
Enough talent to find a role at AFL level but relatively low ceiling, probably fringe best 22.
42. Lachlan Rankin
43. Charlie Molan
44. Angus Sheldrick
45. Ethan Regan
46. Taj Woewodin
47. Jesse Motlop
48. Kaden Harbour
49. Toby Conway
50. Eric Benning

As part of my final rankings I've tried to group and define tiers. It's been an interesting exercise and has caused some minor movement. It's definitely an imperfect science because there are so many variables and rightly or wrongly, it has slightly shifted my perspective on some players. The most challenging aspect when defining the tiers was how to factor in a prospects projected floor and ceiling within each tier definition. Not every single prospect fits perfectly into their tier but I've tried to give a general indication of how I view that group.

Tier 1
Top tier talent. Minimal flaws, if any. Hard to envision these guys not playing 150+ games if they stay healthy.
1. Jason Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos

Tier 2
Top tier talent with minor flaws. High level of natural football ability with the physical tools necessary to have success at AFL level. Hard to envision these guys not playing 100+ games if healthy.
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Tyler Sonsie
5. Josh Ward
6. Finn Callaghan
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Sam Darcy
9. Josh Rachele

Tier 3A
Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw that raises just a minor concern. High floor prospects.
10. Matthew Johnson
11. Josh Gibcus
12. Zac Taylor
13. Josh Goater
14. Connor MacDonald
15. Darcy Wilmot
16. Mitch Owens
17. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
18. Tom Brown

Tier 3B
Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw/s that raises a minor concern/s. Similar ceiling to 'Tier 3A' but a lower floor.
19. Kai Lohmann
20. Josh Sinn
21. Sam Butler
22. Campbell Chesser
23. Rhett Bazzo
24. Arlo Draper
25. Mac Andrew
26. Jye Amiss

Tier 4
AFL standard traits and obvious role at the next level. Don't quite have the ceiling of the prospects in higher tiers but have a typically well-rounded skill set. Project as serviceable role players at AFL level.
27. Paul Curtis
28. Marcus Windhager
29. Brady Hough
30. Jacob Van Rooyen
31. James Willis
32. Judson Clarke

Tier 5A
Enough talent to find a role at AFL level and a best 22 ceiling, but still a fair bit of development required to get there.
33. Mitch Knevitt
34. Leek Alleer
35. Miller Bergman
36. Blake Howes
37. Cooper Murley
38. Jamieson Ballantyne
39. Josh Fahey
40. Matthew Roberts
41. Sam Banks

Tier 5B
Enough talent to find a role at AFL level but relatively low ceiling, probably fringe best 22.
42. Lachlan Rankin
43. Charlie Molan
44. Angus Sheldrick
45. Ethan Regan
46. Taj Woewodin
47. Jesse Motlop
48. Kaden Harbour
49. Toby Conway
50. Eric Benning
Great job and appreciate your effort 👍

I appreciate tiers as it makes it easier to think about relative pick value across a draft.

I'm not sure the categorisation quite works though, in that a linear step-down in both ceiling and floor is unlikely - rather it's the intersection between the two (and the probability of either end) that makes the player.

For example, you could conceivably have a very safe, medium-floor/medium-ceiling prospect (let's say Wilmot) and a boom-or-bust lower-floor/higher-ceiling type (Goater perhaps) in the same aggregate tier despite very different career possibilities.

I appreciate tiers as it makes it easier to think about relative pick value across a draft.

I'm not sure the categorisation quite works though, in that a linear step-down in both ceiling and floor is unlikely - rather it's the intersection between the two (and the probability of either end) that makes the player.

For example, you could conceivably have a very safe, medium-floor/medium-ceiling prospect (let's say Wilmot) and a boom-or-bust lower-floor/higher-ceiling type (Goater perhaps) in the same aggregate tier despite very different career possibilities.
Sounds like we need a graph rather than a list 🤔

Completely agreed and I think I outlined that to an extent in my post. I think maybe they add a touch more value than having no definition or description, even if they're not perfect. Probably not something I'd look to replicate again as there are just way too many variables.

Yeah, I saw Motlop and Benning listed as 'low ceiling' and was thinking the same.

They actually have a high ceiling, it's just that their floor is Grand Canyon.

Yeah, I saw Motlop and Benning listed as 'low ceiling' and was thinking the same.

They actually have a high ceiling, it's just that their floor is Grand Canyon.
It's probably more just difference of opinion here, as I don't view their ceiling as particularly high. I see both their ceilings around that fringe best 22 level. Motlop I view more highly and think he can play some games at the level but I don't necessarily think he'll be one of the better small forwards in the competition.

I'm gonna pass on completing a final phantom given it'll likely end up being a near replica of Rookie Me Central's featuring a bit of Cal Twomey.

A couple of things I'm looking forward to:

1. Whether Hawthorn will pass on Ward and take Johnson. This would (hopefully) create some carnage.
2. What Freo do with their two picks. Seems like Hobbs + Amiss right now but I still wouldn't be surprised if they did something else.
3. Is the late Howes hype for real? Do Essendon take him? GWS? Melbourne? Seems a lock for the first round at the moment.
4. Who comes for GWS' second pick. Seems like the Giants are pretty keen to move it.
5. Who Port picks. Based on recent history, probably going to be a gun that torments me for the next few years.
6. Brisbane's haul. Felt tough to pick all year.

Feels like Christmas, can't wait!

Round 1 Review
Hard to make an assessment this early but a couple of points on things I liked/disliked from night 1 of the draft.

A good night for Clubs with multiple picks
I think Fremantle nailed it with Amiss and Erasmus and are now positioned incredibly well do add another first round rated talent (Johnson, Goater, Sonsie or Butler) or trade and add more draft capital. Richmond strengthened their defence with Gibcus and Brown. Perhaps could've gone a midfielder with their second selection but I rate Brown highly. I LOVED Brisbane's haul, getting two of my favourites in Wilmot and Lohmann. Callaghan is a great get for the Giant's and whilst I don't love Alleer in the first round, it was a tough position to pick from and I think the selection is defensible.

Sheldrick to Sydney
It's not overly surprising, especially given that it was Sydney who made the selection, but I just don't love Sheldrick in the first round. There were other midfielders I much preferred still on the board who I think have scope to have better careers.

Hobbs to Essendon
I love the value for Essendon here. There's valid questions about the fit but at some point the talent is too hard to ignore.

Talent available in Round 2
The second round is going to be really interesting viewing with some high quality kids still on the board. I don't think anyone would've been too surprised to see Johnson, Goater, Sonsie, Butler, Howes, Draper, Taylor or Knevitt taken in the first round, so I'm excited to see where they eventually land.

Some surprises for Cal
I'm a big fan of the work Cal Twomey does in the draft space but it was still nice to have a few surprises in the first round. Johnson sliding all the way through to night 2, Alleer to the Giants and Sheldrick to the Swans, though not entirely unpredictable, made the first night more interesting.

Fox Footy's Player Comps
I'm pleased not everyone was compared to Dangerfield and Fyfe but there were a few tough ones. Kai Lohmann compared to Laitham Vandemeer broke my heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 Review
Hard to make an assessment this early but a couple of points on things I liked/disliked from night 1 of the draft.

I think Fremantle nailed it with Amiss and Erasmus and are now positioned incredibly well do add another first round rated talent (Johnson, Goater, Sonsie or Butler) or trade and add more draft capital. Richmond strengthened their defence with Gibcus and Brown. Perhaps could've gone a midfielder with their second selection but I rate Brown highly. I LOVED Brisbane's haul, getting two of my favourites in Wilmot and Lohmann. Callaghan is a great get for the Giant's and whilst I don't love Alleer in the first round, it was a tough position to pick from and I think the selection is defensible.

Sheldrick to Sydney
It's not overly surprising, especially given that it was Sydney who made the selection, but I just don't love Sheldrick in the first round. There were other midfielders I much preferred still on the board who I think have scope to have better careers.

Hobbs to Essendon
I love the value for Essendon here. There's valid questions about the fit but at some point the talent is too hard to ignore.

The second round is going to be really interesting viewing with some high quality kids still on the board. I don't think anyone would've been too surprised to see Johnson, Goater, Sonsie, Butler, Howes, Draper, Taylor or Knevitt taken in the first round, so I'm excited to see where they eventually land.

Some surprises for Cal
I'm a big fan of the work Cal Twomey does in the draft space but it was still nice to have a few surprises in the first round. Johnson sliding all the way through to night 2, Alleer to the Giants and Sheldrick to the Swans, though not entirely unpredictable, made the first night more interesting.

Fox Footy's Player Comps
I'm pleased not everyone was compared to Dangerfield and Fyfe but there were a few tough ones. Kai Lohmann compared to Laitham Vandemeer broke my heart.
Our boy Kai :hearteyes:

Bugger though I was hoping he last through to #33 and we'd take a look.

Round 1 Review

Sheldrick to Sydney

Hobbs to Essendon

Some surprises for Cal

Fox Footy's Player Comps
Good comments, on Leek Alleer with hindsight you can see their thinking, on their 1st pick debating over Gibcus,
Andrew + Callaghan.
Need some support in the back line and it probably made it easier to pick Callaghan
when they thought of taking Alleer with that pick as it gives them the coverage.

As a bonus with that leap he may go forward later on.

Our boy Kai :hearteyes:

Bugger though I was hoping he last through to #33 and we'd take a look.
I was so pumped for him when his name was called but was definitely hoping he'd be a chance at 33. I guess this is better than him going the pick before or us overlooking him for someone else..

Good comments, on Leek Alleer with hindsight you can see their thinking, on their 1st pick debating over Gibcus,
Andrew + Callaghan.
Need some support in the back line and it probably made it easier to pick Callaghan
when they thought of taking Alleer with that pick as it gives them the coverage.

As a bonus with that leap he may go forward later on.
Yeah, I think you can definitely see the logic in it!

Fox Footy's Player Comps

It was funny watching the telecast. When talking about the Lohmann pick, the commentator(forget whether it was Johnson, Shifter or Kingy) was comparing him to Isaac Heeney while the graphic was comparing him to Laitham Vandemeer.

Round 1 Review

Sheldrick to Sydney

Hobbs to Essendon

Some surprises for Cal

Fox Footy's Player Comps

I was willing the Saints to trade back in for Hobbs, I’m still hoping that we trade back in for an early pick, Geelong and Hawthorn are looking very lucky tonight. Two picks for both clubs before 30.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Post-Draft Ratings
The draft is all done for another year! I've pulled together a brief review to wrap up my thoughts for 2021.

Adelaide
Josh Rachele (6), Jake Soligo (37), Zac Taylor (44) , Luke Nankervis (PSD)

There wasn't a great deal of surprise when the Crows took Josh Rachele, who adds some much needed x-factor and goal scoring ability in the forward half. Jake Soligo projects as a serviceable type at AFL level and Zac Taylor represents incredible value at pick 44. Luke Nankervis has some appealing attributes and is a worthy project pick. Many would've looked at the selection of Arlo Draper more favourably to Soligo in particular, but aside from that it's hard to fault what the Crows have done here.

Grade: A-

Brisbane
Darcy Wilmot (16), Kai Lohmann (20), James Tunstill (41)

Wilmot and Lohmann were two of my favourite players in this years draft and with a bit of time I believe both will become really high impact players at opposite ends of the ground for the Lions. I like Tunstill too. I think he's a pretty solid player that doesn't do a great deal wrong. Zac Taylor at 41 would've topped their draft hand off in my books, but solid nonetheless.

Grade: B+

Carlton
Jesse Motlop (27)

I'm not a huge Motlop fan so I was never going to love this pick, but this was definitely his range and he fulfills a need for the Blues. I would've preferred Sonsie or Clarke here.

Grade: B-

Collingwood
Nick Daicos (4), Arlo Draper (45), Cooper Murley (49), Harvey Harrison (52), Charlie Dean (R)

Collingwood got great value with all their selections here. The Daicos bid not coming until pick 4 was a huge blessing and the move to get Draper at 45 was incredible value. Murley, Harrison and Dean are all selections that I rate, especially given the position they were taken. I think Collingwood have gone pretty much 5/5 here for me.

Grade: A

Essendon
Ben Hobbs (13), Alastair Lord (49), Garrett McDonagh (50), Patrick Voss (R)

Hobbs was just too talented for the Bombers to let him slide any further and I'm optimistic about what Alastair Lord could offer at AFL level. I can't knock the McDonagh selection as I honestly have seen next to nothing of him. Patrick Voss is a worthy rookie selection.

Fremantle
Jye Amiss (8), Neil Erasmus (10), Matthew Johnson (21), Eric Benning (54), Karl Worner (R)

Just an absolutely elite haul from Fremantle and the clear winners of the draft in my opinion. Three top end kids, all locals and all fulfilling needs is an amazing get. Benning was always going to get there with a late selection and rounds out their national selections nicely. Worner is worth a shot as an overage outside midfielder. 10/10.

Grade: A+

Geelong
Toby Conway (24), Mitch Knevitt (25), James Willis (32), Flynn Kroeger (48), Cooper Whyte (64), Oliver Dempsey (R)

It's not a draft I love but one that's difficult to pick too many holes in, especially given they didn't have a first round selection. James Willis has been one of my favourite's all year, Knevitt is reasonable value at 25 and although I think it was a bit early for Conway, I view him as an AFL standard ruck and think he'll have a decent career. With the remainder of their National Draft selections there were others in that range that I viewed more favourably, though difficult to be too critical of selections in that part of the draft.

Grade: B

Gold Coast
Mac Andrew (5), Charlie Constable (63), Sandy Brock (R), Bodhi Uwland (R)

Mac Andrew isn't one I would've been eager to take in the top 5 but his ceiling is pretty undeniable. Brock and Uwland are worth a crack for nothing. I'm not convinced that Constable will make it at AFL level and probably wouldn't have used a list spot on him but after the Greenwood loss it's understandable.

Greater Western Sydney
Finn Callaghan (3), Leek Alleer (15), Josh Fahey (42), Cooper Hamilton (R)

Callaghan is a really good get and as I mentioned in a previous post, whilst I don't love the draft position for Alleer, I do understand the selection. Fahey lasting to the 40's saves some points given he probably could've been bid on anywhere in the second round. Cooper Hamilton has his fans (mainly Shifter) as a rookie selection and is a fair choice.

Hawthorn
Josh Ward (7), Sam Butler (23), Connor MacDonald (26), Jai Serong (53), Ned Long (R)

I loved what Hawthorn did through this draft. Ward, Butler and MacDonald are all talents I rate really highly and think they're all good list fits for the Hawks. I don't think we've seen the best of Serong yet and although I didn't have Ned Long in my top 50, I do see the allure and if he can put it all together he's a pretty intriguing prospect that is well worth a rookie shot.

Grade: A

Melbourne
Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65), Judd McVee (R)

Even though I would've preferred other options with pick 19, it's pretty hard to argue with taking Jacob Van Rooyen there, given that was right in his projected range. Howes is tremendous value at 39 and I had Woewodin inside my top 50. McVee isn't one I would've gone with but tough to be too critical of rookie selections. I think ultimately it's a pretty good outcome for the Dees.

North Melbourne
Jason Horne-Francis (1), Josh Goater (22), Paul Curtis (35), Miller Bergman (38), Jackson Archer (59)

Hard to go too badly when you're getting the best kid in the draft but I loved the Goater, Curtis and Bergman selections as well. Those four in particular represent a really, really strong hand for the Roos. As a fan of a rebuilding team, I'm really envious of what North have been able to do with their list the last few drafts and this another great haul.

Port Adelaide
Josh Sinn (12), Hugh Jackson (55), Dante Visentini (56), Jase Burgoyne (60), Trent Dumont (R)

Outside of that first selection, it wasn't an overly enviable hand that Port held. Though I don't view Sinn as highly, this was undoubtedly his range and his traits make him easily justifiable at this selection. Hugh Jackson didn't have the strongest second half of the year but I still think he's great value at 55. I'm not overly high on Visentini and Burgoyne but hard to fault those selections late in the piece and Dumont adds some excellent depth for basically no cost.

Richmond
Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

I think the Tigers absolutely nailed this draft. A huge influx of speed and class. Sonsie is close to my favourite selection of the whole draft and is unreal value at 28. I think Gibcus and Brown will prove to be really savvy first round selections and I like what Banks and Clarke have to offer. I think the Tigers have genuinely found 5 best 22 players in the long term. Awesome draft.

St Kilda
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (11), Mitchito Owens (33), Marcus Windhager (47), Oscar Adams (51), Jack Peris (Cat B), Josiah Kyle (Cat B)

Wanganeen-Milera was right in that range and although I had others ahead of him, it's a completely justifiable selection. Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager represent great value where their bids came and the Saints will be stoked to add both. I think Oscar Adams is an appealing project and whilst I would've preferred him as a rookie selection, there's no guarantees he would've lasted until then. Peris and Kyle are probably long shots to make it but worth at least a year to have a closer look.

Sydney
Angus Sheldrick (18), Matthew Roberts (34), Corey Warner (40), Lachlan Rankin (58)

Ironically, my favourite selection of Sydney's was their last, as Rankin is one whose game I really enjoy. I mentioned previously that I wasn't a fan of Sheldrick in the first round and I didn't love the Roberts selection as a follow up. I do think both will play a fair bit of AFL footy but I'm just not convinced of their upside just yet. Warner is another that I don't rate particularly highly and although there were others on the board I liked more, this was a relatively justifiable selection given his range.

Grade: C+

West Coast
Campbell Chesser (14), Brady Hough (31), Rhett Bazzo (37), Jack Williams (57), Greg Clark (62)

I don't mind the Chesser selection. Although there were others I'd prefer at that pick, the talent is obvious and getting a future second out of that swap with Port was a good result. Hough and Bazzo were really solid selections in the second round and raised the floor of this draft haul. I'm not a big Jack Williams guy but it's hard to argue with him at 57. Clark at 62 is a justifiable selection.

Western Bulldogs
Sam Darcy (2), Arthur Jones (43), Luke Cleary (61), Charlie Parker (R), Robbie McComb (R), Cody Raak (Cat B)

Getting another top end key position talent already makes this draft a big win for the dogs. Arthur Jones is exciting and worth a look after pick 40. Luke Cleary, Charlie Parker and Robbie McComb were a bit of a surprise with late selections. I like the addition of Cody Raak as a Cat B rookie and think he is well worth an opportunity at the level after some strong NAB League form early this year as an over ager.

MA.

Surprised about the omissions of:

Rayson.
Stagg.
Beecken x2.
Ferres.
O'Loughlin.
Becker.
Dudley.

See you in another thread.

Rayson I thought might've got a chance at least as a rookie, whilst Stagg probably needed a very specific situation. I'm not overly surprised about the others. I think South Australia on the whole had a pretty good result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back