Draft Watcher ModernArtillery 2021 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we watch the Country-Metro trial game? That's the one Callaghan played in, yes? And Sonsie?
Not sure if the footage is available, Callaghan played in one but that was the week after Sonsie's knee injury

Question for you modern artillery. Can saints match bids for there nga players at pick 20 or does it have to be 21. Also I know you have Owens at 15 and I know some team rate him in that bracket. What do you think the odd are of the saints jagging the both of them. What clubs do you think would be keen on him. I reckon Richmond at that later pick because most of those others are interstate clubs

As briztoon mentioned, I believe it’s any bid from 21. I think all the clubs in the second half of the first round from Sydney at 12 (likely to be 14) are potential landing spots. I don’t have any intel from clubs, so I’m purely speculating, but my gut feel is that the Saints will get both. However, it will be a very, very nervous wait!
How do we watch the Country-Metro trial game? That's the one Callaghan played in, yes? And Sonsie?

I’m subscribed to giantroo on patreon and that’s where I’ve watched the replays. And PMBangers is right, Callaghan but no Sonsie.

Don't rate Josh Sinn that highly?
Sinn is talented for sure. He probably sits toward the bottom of a sizeable tier of players I have in that range. That’s probably less about talent and more about having a greater level of confidence in the role at the next level for the other guys in that tier.

James Willis Draft Profile
I've attached a link to my draft profile for James Willis who is one of my favourite prospects out of South Australia, this year. It's a shame he's been cut down by injury at the back end of the year because I would've loved to have seen him get the opportunity to compete in the challenge games against WA and the Allies. His injury kept him out of the draft combine too where I would've been intrigued to see some of his testing results, particularly in the agility and 20m sprint.

"Willis is a well built, hard running footballer who possesses a blend of speed and explosiveness which is quite unique for his size and frame. He combines these physical tools with an appetite for contested football that makes him a threat to impact every contest. Willis offers a balanced skillset through the midfield, capable of winning ground balls and contested possessions but equally effective on the outside where he can accelerate away from the contest and deliver to teammates. His wins at stoppages are typically high impact because of his ability to take possession of the football, exit the contest at pace, and deliver the ball with speed inside 50."

Last edited:
Hugh Jackson Draft Profile
Jackson started the year in red hot form but dipped a little bit at the back end of the year when forced to play a little more outside against better opposition. Like Willis, Jackson missed the draft combine due to injury and was another I was keen to see test. Earlier in the year I was really optimistic about him featuring in the first half of the draft but have since been scared off a little after his late season form. It's hard to judge some of these kids who are trending in the wrong direction come the back end of the year. I'd still expect Jackson to find a home on draft night but that's probably likely to be in the second half of the draft now.

"Hugh Jackson was the premier ball winner in the SANFL U18s competition this year, averaging 34 disposals across his first 11 games, before a quieter end to the year saw his season average drop a fraction below 30 per game. He collected a season-best 41 disposals in Round 6 against eventual premier Woodville-West Torrens, only to match it just three weeks later with another 41 possessions and 12 clearances, in a best on ground display. His early season form was rewarded with selection in South Australia’s Under 19s squad where he has featured in representative games against Western Australia and the Allies. A late season debut for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves and an invite to the National Draft Combine capped off a successful year for Jackson, whose body of work has propelled him into draft calculations."

Jackson started the year in red hot form but dipped a little bit at the back end of the year when forced to play a little more outside against better opposition. Like Willis, Jackson missed the draft combine due to injury and was another I was keen to see test. Earlier in the year I was really optimistic about him featuring in the first half of the draft but have since been scared off a little after his late season form. It's hard to judge some of these kids who are trending in the wrong direction come the back end of the year. I'd still expect Jackson to find a home on draft night but that's probably likely to be in the second half of the draft now.

"Hugh Jackson was the premier ball winner in the SANFL U18s competition this year, averaging 34 disposals across his first 11 games, before a quieter end to the year saw his season average drop a fraction below 30 per game. He collected a season-best 41 disposals in Round 6 against eventual premier Woodville-West Torrens, only to match it just three weeks later with another 41 possessions and 12 clearances, in a best on ground display. His early season form was rewarded with selection in South Australia’s Under 19s squad where he has featured in representative games against Western Australia and the Allies. A late season debut for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves and an invite to the National Draft Combine capped off a successful year for Jackson, whose body of work has propelled him into draft calculations."

I reckon Jackson has flown under the radar at the end of the season, but I've got a feeling clubs are onto his talent. I think a lot of these young ones run out of puff when juggling full time school/work and footy. I've read in quite a few places on BF how Roberts and a few others have dropped at the end of the season. I think workload has a lot to do with it. If you look at the bolters - most of them were injured at the start or mid-season and got warmed up by the end. I'd be happy to take Jackson and/or Roberts. Both have high ceilings.

I reckon Jackson has flown under the radar at the end of the season, but I've got a feeling clubs are onto his talent. I think a lot of these young ones run out of puff when juggling full time school/work and footy. I've read in quite a few places on BF how Roberts and a few others have dropped at the end of the season. I think workload has a lot to do with it. If you look at the bolters - most of them were injured at the start or mid-season and got warmed up by the end. I'd be happy to take Jackson and/or Roberts. Both have high ceilings.
None had a heavier work load than Jason Horne-Francis and his best game was his last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think fatigue is a real thing for some, it's only natural that players are a little banged up towards the end of the year. For some, that limits performance more than others. In the case of Jackson, my initial impression was that his dip in form was a result of getting a little more attention towards the back end of the year, and then being played exclusively as a wing/half forward for South Australia. Jackson didn't test at the Combine so he very well could've been carrying something later in the year.

Interestingly, one of my concerns with Jackson and Roberts is their ceiling. I probably don't see the same upside. How early would you be prepared to take each of them?

I think fatigue is a real thing for some, it's only natural that players are a little banged up towards the end of the year. For some, that limits performance more than others. In the case of Jackson, my initial impression was that his dip in form was a result of getting a little more attention towards the back end of the year, and then being played exclusively as a wing/half forward for South Australia. Jackson didn't test at the Combine so he very well could've been carrying something later in the year.

Interestingly, one of my concerns with Jackson and Roberts is their ceiling. I probably don't see the same upside. How early would you be prepared to take each of them?

Personally I think they fit 20-40 (like most draftees this year lol). I'm kinda hoping Port splits its 12 and nabs them both :)
If Jackson is still there at 33, he may land at Crows. I don't think Crows need a Roberts.
Roberts likely to end up at Richmond at this stage. But it's kinda hard to get into specifics, as I think a lot will change between now and draft night/s with pick swaps.

Personally I think they fit 20-40 (like most draftees this year lol). I'm kinda hoping Port splits its 12 and nabs them both :)
If Jackson is still there at 33, he may land at Crows. I don't think Crows need a Roberts.
Roberts likely to end up at Richmond at this stage. But it's kinda hard to get into specifics, as I think a lot will change between now and draft night/s with pick swaps.
I think 20-40 is probably a fair call for Roberts. I'd probably have Jackson towards the back end of that range though. If Port wanted both, splitting 12 for 27 and 28 with Richmond would give Port a strong chance of getting Roberts and almost guarantee Jackson. I'd suspect it's highly, highly unlikely that Port split their pick though given they've likely moved up with someone else in mind. You're right though, difficult to get into specifics with a fair bit likely to change between now and draft night.

Cooper Beecken Draft Profile
Cooper Beecken drew a lot of interest after his near best on ground display in the SANFL Futures game at the end of last season. He spent a fair bit of time across the wing this year but has played some of his best footy in defence. He tested strongly at the combine with his performance in the agility test the stand out. His intercept marking is a strength which he was even able to show when stationed on the wing. Growth in his offensive game will be necessary and will compliment the things he does well defensively very nicely.

"When stationed on the wing, Beecken’s intercept marking continued to shine through as a strength of his game. Standing at 190cm, he had a height advantage over many of his wing opponents and used it to great effect. His ability to read the play and impact the contest was important for his side as he consistently thwarted opposition attempts to rebound from defensive 50 and stifled offensive ventures from half back"

Heard Roberts interviewed today and he mentioned Richmond and GWS are the 2 clubs not to have interviewed him at all. When he pushed he mentioned Hawks had shown most interest.

Oh please surprise me. You don’t want a “slow inside mid with no X factor”

Can’t wait until he shoves it up the lot of you.
Do you genuinely think people have a vendetta against Roberts or something? Literally everyone wants to see him do well at the next level man

Are trying to be funny - no more maligned kid in this draft.
I think you've mistaken criticism for people genuinely not wanting Roberts to succeed at the next level, I don't think any of the draft watchers are a) that horrible of people or b) that invested in their rankings being true, to genuinely dislike a kid

Oh please surprise me. You don’t want a “slow inside mid with no X factor”

Can’t wait until he shoves it up the lot of you.
Mate, you’re taking these posts rather personally now. And getting nasty about it.

With responses like this, people are going to guess you’re a very, very close family member.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back