Draft Expert ModernArtillery 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have not seen any write up of Angus Anderson (Allies). Overager that more than held his own as a contested mid against the more well known candidates. His point of difference is as a defensive inside mid that also accumulates. Believe his is captain of NSW Academy?
I don't think he's anything more than a rookie chance at best again this year. You're 100% right, he performed well at the Champs and was particularly good against SA in the lead up game.

I think his lack of versatility will cost him in the end though, unfortunately.

vicswan2

Draftee
Jun 8, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think he's anything more than a rookie chance at best again this year. You're 100% right, he performed well at the Champs and was particularly good against SA in the lead up game.

I think his lack of versatility will cost him in the end though, unfortunately.
he is a inside mid with inside and out side qualities .......has a tank, left and right foot ...great decisions with ball in hand..190 cm bull ....plays vfl for the swans as a high forward .......plays his role and hits the scoreboard .......getting lot of interest from clubs now the champs are over .

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Have not seen any write up of Angus Anderson (Allies). Overager that more than held his own as a contested mid against the more well known candidates. His point of difference is as a defensive inside mid that also accumulates. Believe his is captain of NSW Academy?

I did one on him for game against SA. He was immense there, very impressive.

Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Billy Dowling Player Focus

Some huge numbers from Dowling on the weekend. I've struggled to place him a bit this year, but I think his best football will be on the wing at AFL level. I'm not 100% sold on his contested footy being at a level where I'd be confident in him being a pure mid, but his athletic attributes and appetite for accumulation bode well for a career as a winger. He seems to cover the ground really nicely, has a bit of burst, and ultimately has the athletic attributes to compete in that role at AFL level. He's strong enough aerially that he can float back and support defensively, but also has the offensive awareness to push forward and hit the scoreboard. I think anywhere from mid-second round on-wards is reasonable value for Dowling's talent/projected role.

Mattaes Phillipou podcast
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Final Siren Podcast with Mattaes Phillipou

Mattaes is a really impressive kid. Super confident and you can tell how much he just loves playing footy. I knew he'd played basketball at a pretty high level, but I probably didn't realise that he favoured basketball for much of his junior career. I remember Jackson Hately being similar, though we always felt we'd lose him to footy at some point.

I interviewed Mattaes at the start of the year and he mentioned one of his goals was to be a top 5 draft pick. I remember being a little bit surprised at the response at that point, but after spending more time with him you get a little insight into how driven he is to be really, really good.

Mattaes also confirmed he was carrying an injury through the Vic Metro game at the Champs and speaks a little bit about that. He also gives us a few names of players that surprised him at the Champs. One of the more enjoyable chats we've had this year.

August Rankings
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think I'm starting to get a feel for my tiers now. I feel like the gap between the floor and ceiling of this draft is as big as I've seen over the last few years. You could tell me we'd get a handful of stars or none and I'd believe both. I haven't contributed as many of my thoughts on each of the players, which is something I like to do, so I've added a few quick notes on each.

1. Harry Sheezel
Sheezel is elite forward of centre. He's strong aerially and on the ground. He's a classy distributor and finisher in front of goal. He's got speed, power and burst. He pretty much has all the weapons required to be an elite modern-day AFL player. His midfield craft has a little way to go, but I'm confident it will come.

2. George Wardlaw
I see Jack Viney-like hardness and impact at the contest. Wardlaw is just so combative in the way he attacks the footy. What separates him from someone like Viney is he has the speed and agility to separate from the contest and ability to be damaging with his ball use. He's not a special kick, but he's consistent and effective enough to be damaging with his disposal.

*I've flipped Ashcroft and Tsatas. Balls on the line, if I had to pick between Ashcroft and Tsatas, I'd pick Ashcroft. I still feel like the ceiling for Tsatas is higher, but I've got far more confidence that Ashcroft gets near his ceiling at AFL level. Basically I'm a coward.

3. Will Ashcroft
Easily the best performed player in the draft. There's not a lot that Ashcroft doesn't do well. It's only perceived ceiling that separates him from Sheezel and Wardlaw in my view.

4. Elijah Tsatas
I love his size and speed. I think I've probably overrated his kicking a touch, but I actually think his inside work is underrated and I'd much rather utilise him on the ball than on the wing. I think Tsatas has the greatest variance in terms of ceiling/floor out of my top 10.

5. Elijah Hewett
I'm still pretty enamored by Hewett's weapons despite a somewhat underwhelming Carnival. I'm not sure if he was carrying something or if the tank needs to improve, but I feel like he didn't cover the ground as well as I would've hoped throughout the Champs. Finding some consistency in his ability to get to and impact contests will go a long way. In the meantime, his power, speed and burst make him a real threat at stoppage where he's capable of separating and distributing at a really high level.

6. Jhye Clark
I find it pretty hard to believe that Clark won't just be a good AFL footballer. His kicking has certainly improved and he's just a relentless competitor. He's not going to blow you away with speed or athleticism, and that probably limits his ceiling to an extent, but he's going to overwhelm you with consistency and tenacity.

7. Mitch Szybkowski
I've done a bit of a 180 on Szybkowski. I probably wasn't as high on him earlier in the year but I was impressed with the way he used the ball at the Champs. He can have an impact inside and outside the contest. He can be damaging with his disposal and has the physical tools to compete at AFL level. I haven't seen him have much of an impact in the forward half, so he feels like a pure mid at this stage, but a very good one at that.

8. Cam Mackenzie
I don't think Mackenzie has the ceiling of the other midfielders I have ranked ahead of him, but he has very few deficiencies. He's a good ball winner at stoppage and is capable of separating from the contest. He seems to cover the ground well and has an appetite to accumulate the footy. I'd describe his ball use as effective rather than classy, but I certainly don't view it as a weakness. I think he projects as a well-balanced midfielder at AFL level.

9. Mattaes Phillipou
I think Phillipou, like Tsatas, has one of the larger ceiling/floor gaps of those in my top 10. I think the Fyfe stylistic comparison is probably the best, though I view Phillipou as a better finisher in front of goal. I think the floor probably looks like Mason Wood. I fully expect him to exceed that, which should be obvious based on where I rank him. His strengths are his aerial ability and finishing in front of goal. He's a strong stoppage presence, though he doesn't separate from the contest in the same way that others in my top 10 do. I haven't been overly impressed with his field kicking and decision-making but that can at times be impacted by things outside of his control.

10. Jedd Busslinger
I don't usually get overly excited about key position defenders but I think Busslinger can have a really impactful career at AFL level. I like that he can negate and intercept, but it's his ability to use the footy that I like most. He's really comfortable as a distributor in the back half and that will allow him to impact the game offensively from a key position defensive post.

11. Bailey Humphrey
Humphrey is an explosive, shifty midfielder that is equally damaging inside forward 50. As a forward, he's strong on the lead and equally as capable on the ground as he is overhead. Humphrey is already pretty well developed and his ability to be damaging as a forward could earn him some opportunities in an AFL side next season. His kicking, particularly in front of goal, needs some work and I feel like he's going to need a few pre-season's to build an AFL-standard tank, but he's looking like a special talent.

12. Alwyn DaveyJr
I think Davey Jr has all the tools to thrive in a role at AFL level. I don't think he's ever a pure midfielder at AFL level, but I see him as someone who can operate across half forward and push up to impact the contest. I think his speed and craftiness are really desirable attributes and with greater application defensively, I think the path for him to play a lot of AFL football is clear.

13. Aaron Cadman
The thing that separates Cadman from the other KPF's in this draft for me is the fact that he consistently makes something happen. Even when the supply isn't great or the conditions don't suit him, he still finds a way to impact the game. He's become my top ranked KPF, not because I think he's the most talented, but because I feel more confident that he'll find a way at the next level. I feel like Cadman is solid at everything, without being particularly elite at any one thing.

14. Harry Barnett
Contested marking is something I value really highly in key position players and that's something that Barnett does extremely well. His movement for a kid his size is impressive and while his kicking can be hit or miss, some of his hits are pretty special for a ruck/key position player. Like Cadman, I like that he always finds a way to impact the contest. Barnett has separated himself as the best ruck in the draft, but there's a world where he finds a role as a key forward or a centre half back, that I find very exciting.

15. Harry Lemmey
Unfortunately there's not a great deal of positives to take out of this year for Lemmey. From what I've been told, I'm not sure he was particularly well supported in the State set-up, which could explain why he was spat out devoid of any confidence. I'll continue to evaluate him on his whole body of work and with that comes some pretty impressive football as a bottom-ager. I still view him as the most talented KPF in the pool and I desperately hope he captures that 2021 form again.

16. Lewis Hayes
For a guy who doesn't get excited by KPD's, I've even surprised myself by having Lewis Hayes this high. He's another that I just see a clear path for him to have an AFL career. I like that he can defend and intercept and that he's comfortable with the ball in his hands. He's a great size at 197cm and one that I would be comfortable taking in the back end of the first round.

17. Oliver Hollands
This is a harsh criticism but Hollands is just a bit vanilla for me. I'm not seeing the really elite traits that I think are required to crack and maintain a position in an AFL midfield. Having said that, there's not a lot that he does wrong, so perhaps the sum of all his talent will be enough for him to forge a career.

18. Max Michalanney
I just feel really confident in what I'm going to get from Michalanney and that's someone who can play on a number of types and hurt the opposition offensively if they're not accountable. I think there are some Dylan Grimes/Tom Stewart elements to his game and whilst I'm not suggesting he's going to get to their level, I think there's scope for him to fulfill a similar role at AFL level.

19. Jaspa Fletcher
I really like Fletcher. He only sits this low because I don't see a super high ceiling for him, but I like his game and see the path for him to play a number of different roles at AFL level.

20. Jonti Schuback
I love Schuback's speed and drive from the defensive half. He's got line-breaking pace and he changes lanes really quickly with high level agility. I'd like him to be a more impactful user at times and I think he'll have to grow a bit more defensively, but I can see a world where he can be a half back at AFL level.

21. Isaac Keeler
I think I might've seen more of Keeler than any other prospect the last few years and I still can't quite get there on him. He certainly does some things that are incredibly unique for his size, but I've often felt he does the key position stuff poorly. I think his ruck work has been pretty good at all levels this year though and I think if he can become more competitive aerially, the pathway to that forward/second ruck role at AFL becomes even clearer.

22. Matthew Jefferson
Jefferson is another who I feel has a sizeable gap between his floor and ceiling. I've seen him compared to Harrison Jones from Essendon and that probably reflects the level of player I'm projecting Jefferson to be. This is no doubt too low for him, but I just don't have a super high level of confidence that he makes it at AFL level.

23. Harry Cole
Cole had some pretty nice moments in the carnival this year for WA and possesses some traits that I really value. He's a nice size at around that 186cm, he has good speed and he's really capable aerially. He's a dual position threat as someone who can hit the scoreboard, but can also push up and add some speed and class around the footy. He's got a fair bit of work to do on his contested game if he's going to be a pure midfielder (which is probably unlikely), but I see a pathway for him to be a solid wing/half forward option at AFL level.

24. Brayden George
I probably haven't seen enough of George's midfield ability to properly evaluate him. He's been pretty special at times throughout the NAB League season as a forward. He's strong on the lead, capable on the ground and he's a really nice finisher. When you project the ceiling, it's not hard to see why he's so highly rated amongst this crop. I just can't have him higher without seeing (and being convinced) by that midfield capability.

25. Charlie Clarke
Clarke has slid down in my rankings as a result of others with higher ceilings moving up. Clarke is one that I'm confident finds a role at AFL level as a small forward that can apply pressure and hit the scoreboard. I think he'll always be at risk of being overtaken by someone more talented, but in the right situation I think he can have an impact at the next level.

The next few

Lachie Cowan
I'm really intrigued by Cowan's athletic attributes. I've seen moments where he's had an impact at stoppage or inside the contest and been impressed, but until I see that consistently, it seems like he's destined to be a half back. He's talented enough to forge a career back there though and he's one I'd be prepared to hand a list spot.

Luke Teal
I think Teal will be one of those most impacted by Oakleigh's season finishing earlier than expected. I would've loved to have a seen a bit more of him. The talent and physical attributes might be enough to get him a look in, but a bit more footy certainly would've helped. He looks pretty comfortable at half back as a rebounding defender. He can intercept, accumulate and use the footy at a pretty impactful level.

Sam Gilbey
Gilbey is a really classy user of the footy and one who was far too good for the WAFL Colts competition. It was really disappointing to see him get hurt last weekend after already having an interrupted season. I suspect he's done enough to get his name called, but a shame not to see more of him nonetheless.

Jasper Scaife
I'm actually a bit of a Scaife fan and he's one who I'd target towards the back end of the draft or as a rookie. He's a good athlete and a really powerful kick of the footy. His ruck work has a fair way to go if he's going to be able to chop out at the next level, but he's not one you'd be taking with any plans to throw into an AFL game for some time.

Outside the top 30 favourites
This post is already obnoxiously long, so I'll keep these notes as brief as possible. I wanted to give some love to a few other kids that don't necessarily have the ceiling to warrant a top 30 selection (in my view) but who I'd be really keen to add in the back end of the draft. Their versatility and flexibility to fulfill a number of roles gives me a high level of confidence that they could be part of a best 22 if they found the right situation.

Archie Lovelock remains a favourite of mine. He just does everything well. He's courageous, clean below his knees and strong overhead for his size.
Coby Burgiel has the versatility to play anywhere at the next level. He can fumble a touch below his knees, but he does everything at a pretty high level. Hugh Bond is one I love as a two-way midfielder who is capable of a filling a few different roles.
Jake Walker has really creative hands and exciting burst from stoppage.
Nick Sadler's speed on the ball and class by foot makes him one of my favourites from SA.

Not sure yet basket
Oli Hotton
Billy Dowling
Reuben Ginbey
Jack O'Sullivan

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
I think I'm starting to get a feel for my tiers now. I feel like the gap between the floor and ceiling of this draft is as big as I've seen over the last few years. You could tell me we'd get a handful of stars or none and I'd believe both. I haven't contributed as many of my thoughts on each of the players, which is something I like to do, so I've added a few quick notes on each.

1. Harry Sheezel
Sheezel is elite forward of centre. He's strong aerially and on the ground. He's a classy distributor and finisher in front of goal. He's got speed, power and burst. He pretty much has all the weapons required to be an elite modern-day AFL player. His midfield craft has a little way to go, but I'm confident it will come.

2. George Wardlaw
I see Jack Viney-like hardness and impact at the contest. Wardlaw is just so combative in the way he attacks the footy. What separates him from someone like Viney is he has the speed and agility to separate from the contest and ability to be damaging with his ball use. He's not a special kick, but he's consistent and effective enough to be damaging with his disposal.

*I've flipped Ashcroft and Tsatas. Balls on the line, if I had to pick between Ashcroft and Tsatas, I'd pick Ashcroft. I still feel like the ceiling for Tsatas is higher, but I've got far more confidence that Ashcroft gets near his ceiling at AFL level. Basically I'm a coward.

3. Will Ashcroft
Easily the best performed player in the draft. There's not a lot that Ashcroft doesn't do well. It's only perceived ceiling that separates him from Sheezel and Wardlaw in my view.

4. Elijah Tsatas
I love his size and speed. I think I've probably overrated his kicking a touch, but I actually think his inside work is underrated and I'd much rather utilise him on the ball than on the wing. I think Tsatas has the greatest variance in terms of ceiling/floor out of my top 10.

5. Elijah Hewett
I'm still pretty enamored by Hewett's weapons despite a somewhat underwhelming Carnival. I'm not sure if he was carrying something or if the tank needs to improve, but I feel like he didn't cover the ground as well as I would've hoped throughout the Champs. Finding some consistency in his ability to get to and impact contests will go a long way. In the meantime, his power, speed and burst make him a real threat at stoppage where he's capable of separating and distributing at a really high level.

6. Jhye Clark
I find it pretty hard to believe that Clark won't just be a good AFL footballer. His kicking has certainly improved and he's just a relentless competitor. He's not going to blow you away with speed or athleticism, and that probably limits his ceiling to an extent, but he's going to overwhelm you with consistency and tenacity.

7. Mitch Szybkowski
I've done a bit of a 180 on Szybkowski. I probably wasn't as high on him earlier in the year but I was impressed with the way he used the ball at the Champs. He can have an impact inside and outside the contest. He can be damaging with his disposal and has the physical tools to compete at AFL level. I haven't seen him have much of an impact in the forward half, so he feels like a pure mid at this stage, but a very good one at that.

8. Cam Mackenzie
I don't think Mackenzie has the ceiling of the other midfielders I have ranked ahead of him, but he has very few deficiencies. He's a good ball winner at stoppage and is capable of separating from the contest. He seems to cover the ground well and has an appetite to accumulate the footy. I'd describe his ball use as effective rather than classy, but I certainly don't view it as a weakness. I think he projects as a well-balanced midfielder at AFL level.

9. Mattaes Phillipou
I think Phillipou, like Tsatas, has one of the larger ceiling/floor gaps of those in my top 10. I think the Fyfe stylistic comparison is probably the best, though I view Phillipou as a better finisher in front of goal. I think the floor probably looks like Mason Wood. I fully expect him to exceed that, which should be obvious based on where I rank him. His strengths are his aerial ability and finishing in front of goal. He's a strong stoppage presence, though he doesn't separate from the contest in the same way that others in my top 10 do. I haven't been overly impressed with his field kicking and decision-making but that can at times be impacted by things outside of his control.

10. Jedd Busslinger
I don't usually get overly excited about key position defenders but I think Busslinger can have a really impactful career at AFL level. I like that he can negate and intercept, but it's his ability to use the footy that I like most. He's really comfortable as a distributor in the back half and that will allow him to impact the game offensively from a key position defensive post.

11. Bailey Humphrey
Humphrey is an explosive, shifty midfielder that is equally damaging inside forward 50. As a forward, he's strong on the lead and equally as capable on the ground as he is overhead. Humphrey is already pretty well developed and his ability to be damaging as a forward could earn him some opportunities in an AFL side next season. His kicking, particularly in front of goal, needs some work and I feel like he's going to need a few pre-season's to build an AFL-standard tank, but he's looking like a special talent.

12. Alwyn DaveyJr
I think Davey Jr has all the tools to thrive in a role at AFL level. I don't think he's ever a pure midfielder at AFL level, but I see him as someone who can operate across half forward and push up to impact the contest. I think his speed and craftiness are really desirable attributes and with greater application defensively, I think the path for him to play a lot of AFL football is clear.

13. Aaron Cadman
The thing that separates Cadman from the other KPF's in this draft for me is the fact that he consistently makes something happen. Even when the supply isn't great or the conditions don't suit him, he still finds a way to impact the game. He's become my top ranked KPF, not because I think he's the most talented, but because I feel more confident that he'll find a way at the next level. I feel like Cadman is solid at everything, without being particularly elite at any one thing.

14. Harry Barnett
Contested marking is something I value really highly in key position players and that's something that Barnett does extremely well. His movement for a kid his size is impressive and while his kicking can be hit or miss, some of his hits are pretty special for a ruck/key position player. Like Cadman, I like that he always finds a way to impact the contest. Barnett has separated himself as the best ruck in the draft, but there's a world where he finds a role as a key forward or a centre half back, that I find very exciting.

15. Harry Lemmey
Unfortunately there's not a great deal of positives to take out of this year for Lemmey. From what I've been told, I'm not sure he was particularly well supported in the State set-up, which could explain why he was spat out devoid of any confidence. I'll continue to evaluate him on his whole body of work and with that comes some pretty impressive football as a bottom-ager. I still view him as the most talented KPF in the pool and I desperately hope he captures that 2021 form again.

16. Lewis Hayes
For a guy who doesn't get excited by KPD's, I've even surprised myself by having Lewis Hayes this high. He's another that I just see a clear path for him to have an AFL career. I like that he can defend and intercept and that he's comfortable with the ball in his hands. He's a great size at 197cm and one that I would be comfortable taking in the back end of the first round.

17. Oliver Hollands
This is a harsh criticism but Hollands is just a bit vanilla for me. I'm not seeing the really elite traits that I think are required to crack and maintain a position in an AFL midfield. Having said that, there's not a lot that he does wrong, so perhaps the sum of all his talent will be enough for him to forge a career.

18. Max Michalanney
I just feel really confident in what I'm going to get from Michalanney and that's someone who can play on a number of types and hurt the opposition offensively if they're not accountable. I think there are some Dylan Grimes/Tom Stewart elements to his game and whilst I'm not suggesting he's going to get to their level, I think there's scope for him to fulfill a similar role at AFL level.

19. Jaspa Fletcher
I really like Fletcher. He only sits this low because I don't see a super high ceiling for him, but I like his game and see the path for him to play a number of different roles at AFL level.

20. Jonti Schuback
I love Schuback's speed and drive from the defensive half. He's got line-breaking pace and he changes lanes really quickly with high level agility. I'd like him to be a more impactful user at times and I think he'll have to grow a bit more defensively, but I can see a world where he can be a half back at AFL level.

21. Isaac Keeler
I think I might've seen more of Keeler than any other prospect the last few years and I still can't quite get there on him. He certainly does some things that are incredibly unique for his size, but I've often felt he does the key position stuff poorly. I think his ruck work has been pretty good at all levels this year though and I think if he can become more competitive aerially, the pathway to that forward/second ruck role at AFL becomes even clearer.

22. Matthew Jefferson
Jefferson is another who I feel has a sizeable gap between his floor and ceiling. I've seen him compared to Harrison Jones from Essendon and that probably reflects the level of player I'm projecting Jefferson to be. This is no doubt too low for him, but I just don't have a super high level of confidence that he makes it at AFL level.

23. Harry Cole
Cole had some pretty nice moments in the carnival this year for WA and possesses some traits that I really value. He's a nice size at around that 186cm, he has good speed and he's really capable aerially. He's a dual position threat as someone who can hit the scoreboard, but can also push up and add some speed and class around the footy. He's got a fair bit of work to do on his contested game if he's going to be a pure midfielder (which is probably unlikely), but I see a pathway for him to be a solid wing/half forward option at AFL level.

24. Brayden George
I probably haven't seen enough of George's midfield ability to properly evaluate him. He's been pretty special at times throughout the NAB League season as a forward. He's strong on the lead, capable on the ground and he's a really nice finisher. When you project the ceiling, it's not hard to see why he's so highly rated amongst this crop. I just can't have him higher without seeing (and being convinced) by that midfield capability.

25. Charlie Clarke
Clarke has slid down in my rankings as a result of others with higher ceilings moving up. Clarke is one that I'm confident finds a role at AFL level as a small forward that can apply pressure and hit the scoreboard. I think he'll always be at risk of being overtaken by someone more talented, but in the right situation I think he can have an impact at the next level.

The next few

Lachie Cowan
I'm really intrigued by Cowan's athletic attributes. I've seen moments where he's had an impact at stoppage or inside the contest and been impressed, but until I see that consistently, it seems like he's destined to be a half back. He's talented enough to forge a career back there though and he's one I'd be prepared to hand a list spot.

Luke Teal
I think Teal will be one of those most impacted by Oakleigh's season finishing earlier than expected. I would've loved to have a seen a bit more of him. The talent and physical attributes might be enough to get him a look in, but a bit more footy certainly would've helped. He looks pretty comfortable at half back as a rebounding defender. He can intercept, accumulate and use the footy at a pretty impactful level.

Sam Gilbey
Gilbey is a really classy user of the footy and one who was far too good for the WAFL Colts competition. It was really disappointing to see him get hurt last weekend after already having an interrupted season. I suspect he's done enough to get his name called, but a shame not to see more of him nonetheless.

Jasper Scaife
I'm actually a bit of a Scaife fan and he's one who I'd target towards the back end of the draft or as a rookie. He's a good athlete and a really powerful kick of the footy. His ruck work has a fair way to go if he's going to be able to chop out at the next level, but he's not one you'd be taking with any plans to throw into an AFL game for some time.

Outside the top 30 favourites
This post is already obnoxiously long, so I'll keep these notes as brief as possible. I wanted to give some love to a few other kids that don't necessarily have the ceiling to warrant a top 30 selection (in my view) but who I'd be really keen to add in the back end of the draft. Their versatility and flexibility to fulfill a number of roles gives me a high level of confidence that they could be part of a best 22 if they found the right situation.

Archie Lovelock remains a favourite of mine. He just does everything well. He's courageous, clean below his knees and strong overhead for his size.
Coby Burgiel has the versatility to play anywhere at the next level. He can fumble a touch below his knees, but he does everything at a pretty high level. Hugh Bond is one I love as a two-way midfielder who is capable of a filling a few different roles.
Jake Walker has really creative hands and exciting burst from stoppage.
Nick Sadler's speed on the ball and class by foot makes him one of my favourites from SA.

Not sure yet basket
Oli Hotton
Billy Dowling
Reuben Ginbey
Jack O'Sullivan
While I don't quite have Harry Cole in my top 30, I really like him and appreciate how high you rank him. Think he could be something special at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
He's definitely talented! If he gets drafted, where do you see him playing his footy at AFL level?
I reckon he'll end up drafted as a marking half forward but I do think he possesses genuine AFL traits as a midfielder. Long term could be a pretty proficient mid-forward

Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
ModernArtillery
a name i'm keeping watch for is Kobe Ryan. As an SA watcher, thoughts on him as a late pick?
Ryan is a bit one-paced and pretty slight, but he can flat out find the footy. If you're taking him, I think you're acknowledging the physical limitations and banking on his ball-winning ability being elite enough to give him a shot at an AFL career.

Kobe has been one of my favourite kids to watch over the last few years, so I would love to see him get an opportunity. If I'm being honest though, I think he's probably facing an uphill battle at this stage.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Ryan is a bit one-paced and pretty slight, but he can flat out find the footy. If you're taking him, I think you're acknowledging the physical limitations and banking on his ball-winning ability being elite enough to give him a shot at an AFL career.

Kobe has been one of my favourite kids to watch over the last few years, so I would love to see him get an opportunity. If I'm being honest though, I think he's probably facing an uphill battle at this stage.
ive got him as someone I hope we take a punt on with a late pick after we get done with our early picks to add some pure mids to our depth and ideally the VFL side.
Early stuff I read was he's a strong worker, tidy user and has a good without being great midfield game.

I'm keen on some meat and potato mids for the Dons.

Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Early stuff I read was he's a strong worker, tidy user and has a good without being great midfield game.
I think that's probably a fair assessment. He's a better user when he pushes back off the mark and hits up a target, rather than trying to lace someone out on the run. I think 'tidy' is a good way to describe it.

He's a strong worker on game-day, someone who consistently and relentlessly works to accumulate the footy. I think 'good without being great' is also a pretty accurate description. If he had more speed and burst I think he'd be viewed very differently.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I think that's probably a fair assessment. He's a better user when he pushes back off the mark and hits up a target, rather than trying to lace someone out on the run. I think 'tidy' is a good way to describe it.

He's a strong worker on game-day, someone who consistently and relentlessly works to accumulate the footy. I think 'good without being great' is also a pretty accurate description. If he had more speed and burst I think he'd be viewed very differently.
its the work rate stuff I like the idea of.
even if he doesn't break into the 22. our VFL is bare for mids.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've had similar concerns around Ashcroft, also question his defensive running too but that's an issue fir a few midfielder in this draft. I do think he's got a pretty clear path as a midfielder at the next level though, stylistically I think he's got a lot of Boak about him and wonder if he could have a similar path early days as a Forward that pinch hits
Thoughts on Ashcroft now he’s clearly worked on he’s defensive side since early April

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
What’s happened to these names:?

Will Tanner.
Tom Warner.
Lachlan Reidy.
Hayden Smith.
Christian Poe.