Draft Expert ModernArtillery 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's phantom draft season :hearteyes:

I haven't fussed terribly over this but it's a first crack to get things underway.

Round 1

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Nick Watson
4. North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
5. Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
6. Western Bulldogs - Colby McKercher
7. Melbourne - Nate Caddy
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (matched bid)
9. GWS - Ryley Sanders
10. Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Essendon - Darcy Wilson
12. Adelaide - Caleb Windsor
13. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (matched bid)
14. Melbourne - James Leake
15. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (matched bid)
16. Sydney - Riley Hardeman
17. St Kilda - Charlie Edwards
18. Hawthorn - Will McCabe (matched bid)
19. Adelaide - Koltyn Tholstrup
20. North Melbourne - Zane Zakostelsky
21. GWS - Lance Collard
22. North Melbourne - Harry Demattia
23. North Melbourne - Will Green
24. Collingwood - Ollie Murphy
25. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
26. St Kilda - Archie Roberts
27. Carlton - Archer Reid
I doubt carlton look at Reid. We have enough kpp depth

I kinda felt like that might be an area of need. After Curnow and McKay, isn't it just Harry Lemmey? Especially with McGovern settling into the back half.

McKay
Curnow
TDK
Silvagni
Lemmey

Curnow and McKay are fantastic but there are question marks over the other three for various reasons.

Not sure it's a top priority but it's not unreasonable to suggest we'll look at another key forward.

McKay
Curnow
TDK
Silvagni
Lemmey

Curnow and McKay are fantastic but there are question marks over the other three for various reasons.

Not sure it's a top priority but it's not unreasonable to suggest we'll look at another key forward.
Not sure any team has more depth than us, I cannot see it high on our radar. Unless Lemmey is considered a bust already.

LemmingMaster Jeremias GT619

Do you guys think TDK should be on that list? 9 goals in 19 games this year. I feel like he's more suited to a pure ruck role and my view is he wouldn't/shouldn't be considered as part of the key position forward depth.

Silvagni's an interesting one too. I know he probably measures in at the mid-low 190's but he just doesn't seem like a long-term KPF option.

Do you guys think TDK should be on that list? 9 goals in 19 games this year. I feel like he's more suited to a pure ruck role and my view is he wouldn't/shouldn't be considered as part of the key position forward depth.

Silvagni's an interesting one too. I know he probably measures in at the mid-low 190's but he just doesn't seem like a long-term KPF option.
He does not look lost in the forward line, he just seems to have concrete hands at time in the forward line. Once he grows into his body, I certainly see him as a ruck/forward player. I was just stating that if we happened to lose McKay and Curnow, TDK could hold down that position. JSOS is an okay second tall forward.

I just see so many other positions with a higher priority than tall forward currently. I've got some highish hopes for Lemmey long term, thought he had potential in his under 18's days.

I would not mind developing a KPD before a forward.

Prefer him number 1 ruck who pushes fwd and around the ground

He does not look lost in the forward line, he just seems to have concrete hands at time in the forward line. Once he grows into his body, I certainly see him as a ruck/forward player. I was just stating that if we happened to lose McKay and Curnow, TDK could hold down that position. JSOS is an okay second tall forward.

I just see so many other positions with a higher priority than tall forward currently. I've got some highish hopes for Lemmey long term, thought he had potential in his under 18's days.

I would not mind developing a KPD before a forward.
I'm also a fan of Lemmey, so I'm with you on that.

Which KPD would you prefer to take in this years draft with that first selection?

I like Carlton using their next selection on a small forward and there's a few still available that I like in this phantom (Delean, Charleson, Simpson, Sanchez etc) + Moir as a medium could be an option.

Yes he should because he spends significant time forward, especially with Pittonet also in the side.

And that just strengthens the case for looking at another key forward; our top end is great and arguably the best in the league, but there's not a whole lot of proven quality beneath it.

Let's also not forget TDK has just signed a 2 year deal taking him through to free agency. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he'll stay at the club beyond that.

He's not. And as with TDK above, that again strengthens the case for looking at another KPF.

Jack is a real goer and his footy IQ is off the charts, but he's not a true KPF. At his best he's a mobile 3rd tall who has the versatility and the smarts to fill a role across multiple positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also a fan of Lemmey, so I'm with you on that.

Which KPD would you prefer to take in this years draft with that first selection?

I like Carlton using their next selection on a small forward and there's a few still available that I like in this phantom (Delean, Charleson, Simpson, Sanchez etc) + Moir as a medium could be an option.
Personally, I'm a ZZ fan around our pick.
Edwards another option for smalls.
Moir is another option that could be considered.

I was thinking Charlie.
Based on your draft, I'm strongly considering Moir maybe Mannagh, his late season form is great.
Id almost love to move up to Caddy.
Charlie Edwards is 191cm, so not sure he's the small you're after.
I could see the Blues going for Moir, who I think would be worth a shot in that range.

I'm a huge Caddy fan, so I can get behind that. Although not sure that aligns to the argument against taking a key forward haha

It's phantom draft season :hearteyes:

I haven't fussed terribly over this but it's a first crack to get things underway.

Round 1

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Nick Watson
4. North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
5. Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
6. Western Bulldogs - Colby McKercher
7. Melbourne - Nate Caddy
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (matched bid)
9. GWS - Ryley Sanders
10. Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Essendon - Darcy Wilson
12. Adelaide - Caleb Windsor
13. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (matched bid)
14. Melbourne - James Leake
15. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (matched bid)
16. Sydney - Riley Hardeman
17. St Kilda - Charlie Edwards
18. Hawthorn - Will McCabe (matched bid)
19. Adelaide - Koltyn Tholstrup
20. North Melbourne - Zane Zakostelsky
21. GWS - Lance Collard
22. North Melbourne - Harry Demattia
23. North Melbourne - Will Green
24. Collingwood - Ollie Murphy
25. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
26. St Kilda - Archie Roberts
27. Carlton - Archer Reid
I'm hoping the Swans take ZZ. Hardeman is meh! We have Edwards, Tholstrup's positions covered but ZZ could be something special.

I could see the Blues going for Moir, who I think would be worth a shot in that range.

I'm a huge Caddy fan, so I can get behind that. Although not sure that aligns to the argument against taking a key forward haha
I've read he's grown, but he felt like a hybrid forward to me. I'm okay with a Bruest styled forward.

Charlie plays quick, he's fine.
Its not like Bont plays exclusively like a player 190+cm.

I've read he's grown, but he felt like a hybrid forward to me. I'm okay with a Bruest styled forward.
Charlie plays quick, he's fine.
Its not like Bont plays exclusively like a player 190+cm.
Caddy and Breust don't have a lot in common.

I'm not sure things are quite adding up here but we can leave it there.
I'm hoping the Swans take ZZ. Hardeman is meh! We have Edwards, Tholstrup's positions covered but ZZ could be something special.
I must admit, I feel similarly about Hardeman.

I like ZZ around that pick. I reckon he's a strong chance to go around that point in the first round too. His physical attributes make him very appealing. His kicking has a fair way to go, but he's physically up for the contest and strong overheard, so the attributes are there to make it as a KPD. Especially in this draft, I'd be prepared to use a mid-late first on him.

Some of my thoughts on Nate Caddy and James Leake from the BigFooty Phantom Draft.

Pick 8 - Melbourne
Nate Caddy
193cm 88kg
Northern Knights / Vic Metro

With the loss of Jackson and Max Gawn nearing the end of his career, I felt like Ethan Read would be the perfect fit here for Melbourne. Of course, that was never going to happen but a bid from the Dees (if it doesn't come earlier) makes a lot of sense to me.

Melbourne's depth has taken a bit of a hit, so a legitimate case could've been made for the other top tier prospects in this range (O'Sullivan and Sanders). Ultimately it came down to Sanders and Caddy for me and I couldn't pass on the positional value that Caddy offers. I love his ceiling and while Melbourne will need to give him some time to build, I think he could be a dominant forward for years to come.

Caddy's a pretty special vertical athlete and has a nice combination of speed and strength that make him a difficult 1 on 1 match up. It seems silly to compare him to Charlie Curnow, though I think Caddy will be a similarly slowish burn who over time, I project will be able to impact the game in similar ways.

PMBangers you’re up for GWS

Pick 14
Melbourne
James Leake
187cm 77kg
Tasmania Devils / Allies

I was always going to take whoever was left out of Wilson, Windsor and Leake. The versatility of Leake is a handy attribute and dramatically raises his floor. I would love to see him developed as a mid/forward with the plan for him to become a tough, combative, inside midfielder. I wonder if there's scope for him to fill out and play a role similar to Jack Steele or Callan Ward. I think Melbourne are in a really strong position to develop that version of him.

If the midfield version of Leake doesn't come to fruition, there's plenty of scope for him to carve out a career at either end of the ground where he's more proven at junior level.

Ysaye

Seen as you've done only the first round wondering who you would have at the Lions first pick
I feel like I can properly answer this now.

I like Phoenix Gothard as a someone who could add more speed to that forward group. He's got a bit to work on defensively, but as he adds some size/strength he could offer a nice mix of speed and forward pressure.

Looking at the list composition I'd say you might have interest in a key forward, though given where you're picking I'd say the value is limited in that range. Archer Reid went the pick before in the BF phantom draft, but he could be an option worth considering. I think he might be available. I don't love Logan Morris or Luke Lloyd but they might come into consideration. Of course there's the option to chase a KPF late and look at someone like Charlie McCormack (who I doubt the Giants would match a bid on) or Riley Weatherill who I quite like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back