Modra!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tony Modra

Who remembers why Malcolm Blight didn't play him in the 1998 Grand Final, I thought that was disgraceful and disrespectful.

Because he was absolutely dreadful against Melbourne in the first qualifying final, blight moved him to a half back flank and Modra didn’t try. After that it was all about Blighty ego and made an example out of Modra.

On the Monday or Tuesday after that game Modra allegedly walked out of the meeting with blight and quit the club. He was sent back to West Adelaide (cannot remember if he played in there finals) and latter traded to Fremantle.

Blighty had his brain fade moments, some were very good and some were very bad. Trading Modra was one of the very bad ones

Because he was absolutely dreadful against Melbourne in the first qualifying final, blight moved him to a half back flank and Modra didn’t try. After that it was all about Blighty ego and made an example out of Modra.

On the Monday or Tuesday after that game Modra allegedly walked out of the meeting with blight and quit the club. He was sent back to West Adelaide (cannot remember if he played in there finals) and latter traded to Fremantle.

Blighty had his brain fade moments, some were very good and some were very bad. Trading Modra was one of the very bad ones

I had been informed that there was an incident in the rooms after the game between Mods and some of his teammates due to his complete lack of effort. After that display Blight put his foot down and sent him back to Westies (kicked 5 goals I think in the final that he played for them) and was never to be seen in an Adelaide guernsey again.

Also about Dunstall being 188cm ... the guy was build like an absolute truck, he was as big as they come and he had the speed to be a very effective FF. If he was playing now he would kick 100 no doubt, his kicking accuracy was up there with Plugger. Probably one of the most strongest contested marks of the ball you will ever see along with Carey.

Then Ablett...185cm...God sent him down from heaven so people could watch football, there was nothing he couldn't do, enough said.

Plugger could take marks if he's out-numbered by 2 players quite easily. GUN

All these players along with Modra even if they debut'd in 2001, they would have better records than Matthew Lloyd I have no doubt about it.
The backmen in their days were much better too, there were some really really good backmen in the 90's.
Imagine a Dunstall or Plugger type player with the 'cant touch the arm when spoiling' rule.

I think Mods would be crucified by the hands in the back rule.

What a fantastic player, had it all the speed, leap, crumbing and the soccer skills, all sublime.

Always knew where the ball was, great football sense.

Am going to try and burn the You tube compilation to a DVD for my junior team.

Got to keep showing this old stuff to keep the skill alive.

Its what makes our game so skillful and unique.

Absolute gun, the guy was an absolute freak and loved by everyone back home in the Riverland. My best mate at the time was obsessed with the bloke

Seems like a bit of an injustice he didn't play in a GF after all he did, but in unavoidable and then unfourtunate situations

Was always odd seeing him in a Freo jumper, especially against us.

Modra would be a gun forward today as well but he wouldn't get near the 129 goals mark. Extremely rate for a forward to get a 100 these days. Gherig is the last player to do it in a 2004 prelim final.

chicken or egg?

the real issue is a lack of class full forwards.

Modra/dunstall/Ablett/Lockett would still kick stupid totals today.

He was my idol! I was obsessed as every other girl my age was all the guys wanted to BE him! All the girls wanted to be WITH him!!

Great Times!

I had forgotten how good he was untill i saw this....A mate at work rates him as a favourite Crow Player, now I agree, well maybe:p....

we wll never see his like again, backman play off their man to defend against a lone forward and zone defences will see to that. Notice the teams with the traditional FF are near the bottom end of ladder, ie Essendon and Carlton. Even then you will sometimes find Lloyd and Fev around centre.

He was a complete package, Strength, Felxibility, Agility and Accruacy in front of goal. Hard to have all of these qualities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happened to that Godra banner. The club should buy that for the Shed.

Nothing better than when the cameras panned across Football Park after Mods had taken a screamer to see that giant GODRA waving proudly.

I thought when it turned up at the MCG during the Friday night ESS/CARl qualifying final, before our first ever final the next day against Hawthorn, was symbolic and quite emotional.

Who remembers why Malcolm Blight didn't play him in the 1998 Grand Final, I thought that was disgraceful and disrespectful.

Basically he sucked against the Dees and chucked a tanty.

Like you though i wouldve played him in that GF no matter what. He deserved a flag more then any other player to have ever laced them up for the Crows.
Surely he offered more then Aaron Keating.

Thats correct Nikki. Some were mates of mine from other departments. Not really in touch with any of them now so not sure what happened to the banner. (I used to sit right behind it from late 93 onwards).

Used to be awesome to go the game have the banner fly proudly (and frequently) then rush home to watch the replay and see how much air time you got :)
There was something about that banner when it appeared during the Carlton essendon qualifying final at the mcg on a Friday night in 1993.

I rekon that was scared the vfl umpires into umpiring us out of both finals against those two clubs

There was something about that banner when it appeared during the Carlton essendon qualifying final at the mcg on a Friday night in 1993.

I rekon that was scared the vfl umpires into umpiring us out of both finals against those two clubs
Little Graham said something about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back